What MPG are you getting???

BROADBEAN9513

:
CX5 2.2 D (175) SPORT NAV AWD WITH SAFETY PACK
Dear All,
I am interested in what to expect my new CX5 will or should do to the gallon in real world driving. I would also like to know whether or not the trip computer for MPG is widely inaccurate? My New purchase is a 2.2 Diesel Sort Nav AWD manual with Safety pack and DRL Led in Black. I have heard that to expect around 38MPG . I would be very disappointed if that is the case.

Where did you hear of 38??

If you are Colin McRae, expect 38 mpg-
If you are Richard Bucket, expect 65 mpg+

So you just have to put your driving style and journey habits into the above equation and see how you fair.

I come out at around 43 mpg with a 50/50 mix of city and motorway which is very respectable.

If you look through the main thread on fuel economy and the thread for the Brits, there is plenty info in there.

For me, the onboard mpg calculation is within 2 mpg of the true value.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Info. 42 MPG sounds fine. Are you doing the brim and calculate method etc? I mostly drive a roads and dual Carriageway at 60 to 65 MPH. My Santa Fe averaged 31 MPG.

Only filled 3 times. Fill until it clicks, but I can't get much more in actually before it frothes out the spout.

I used Fuelly.com to check my pmdg, but the onboard seems to match very close. Sounds to me like you should average 45 mpg+ without much hassle.

Ah man, I wish my car could get that kind of economy! Wish they would bring the CX5 Diesel here :)

You have it far better in the US. Cheaper gasoline and cheaper vehicles. We are roughly paying equivalent to 10 US dollars a gallon. Diesel is a bit more but slightly more economical. A New CX 5 Diesel in Top spec Sort Nav with leather and AWD is about $43000 in UK. So maybe you are better off than you imagine.

You have it far better in the US. Cheaper gasoline and cheaper vehicles. We are roughly paying equivalent to 10 US dollars a gallon. Diesel is a bit more but slightly more economical. A New CX 5 Diesel in Top spec Sort Nav with leather and AWD is about $43000 in UK. So maybe you are better off than you imagine.

This is true. However, I would love the diesel for the torque advantage alone. This is why I chose the 335d, instead of the 335i. The economy benefit is just an added bonus.

Friend's 335d just went in for failed injector at ~30,000 miles. Injector cost was Around $350 alone, not including labor. I would hate to own a high performance diesel outside of warranty/CPO. Though he does get ~35mpg avg on the regular, and that's not being easy on the throttle.

Anyways, back on topic.

Dear All,
I am interested in what to expect my new CX5 will or should do to the gallon in real world driving. I would also like to know whether or not the trip computer for MPG is widely inaccurate? My New purchase is a 2.2 Diesel Sort Nav AWD manual with Safety pack and DRL Led in Black. I have heard that to expect around 38MPG . I would be very disappointed if that is the case.

trip computer is pretty close to actual fill to brim measure.

43+ mpg avg speed 65mph on a 1000 mile trip. A lot of 85mph with some sections of 50mph (damn average speed cams).

or 100 mile trip at about 62mph 10 deg. c can get you (2WD standard power 2.2 diesel)....

IMAG0263_zpsf9aa8b01.jpg

Very true. My car, ex Mazda company car, 1 year old, 6000 miles, $39000 and diesel is around $7.40 per gallon here. The cheapest deal out of 91 CX5 diesels in Switzerland (175ps) is $45000. So the US get some good deals, but I guess salaries are different around the world too (or nobody would live here!).

commuting to work last week (4 return journeys) - 53.6 miles at 20 mph = 50.3mpg

off on 100 mile round trip now, so on motorway trip temp is about 11deg so I should get 55mpg plus.

I wish I got somehwere near your consumption rate... I did a long run one day last week, approx 10% city, the rest motorway, 190 miles, got 39 mpg. I made sure not to accelerate quickly, didn't get over 2000 revs and didn'tgo over 70mph.

I wish I got somehwere near your consumption rate... I did a long run one day last week, approx 10% city, the rest motorway, 190 miles, got 39 mpg. I made sure not to accelerate quickly, didn't get over 2000 revs and didn'tgo over 70mph.

Are you driving at altitude or is it still cold where you drive?

100 miles - (80 motorway 20 city) 51mpg ave = 58.6mpg.

I did have air con on for 20 miles, A portable fridge for 50miles and lights on for 55miles too. and a full boot/trunk. (Me and my son traveling back to his university digs after Easter break).

I figure I'll have one more serious go at beating my mpg record, then I'll stop watching the fuel gauge.

The AWD adds 80KG which is like always carrying a passenger around, all other things being equal you should be getting about 6mpg less. I've got around around 3K on the clock.

Are you driving at altitude or is it still cold where you drive?

100 miles - (80 motorway 20 city) 51mpg ave = 58.6mpg.

I did have air con on for 20 miles, A portable fridge for 50miles and lights on for 55miles too. and a full boot/trunk. (Me and my son traveling back to his university digs after Easter break).

I figure I'll have one more serious go at beating my mpg record, then I'll stop watching the fuel gauge.

The AWD adds 80KG which is like always carrying a passenger around, all other things being equal you should be getting about 6mpg less. I've got around around 3K on the clock.

I drive in Northern Ireland which isn't at altitude... But is always cold!
I do have a heavy spare wheel in the boot which must be costing me something.... I always have the aircon on.... I'm up around 5000 miles now. Maybe i'll get better mpg on the one good day of summer we might get.

Something doesn't sound right! I drove 20 miles on the autobahn today, 4 adults 75 mph, 50 mpg. Although it was 25 deg today so that helps.

Don't accelerate slowly, accelerate fast to cruise speed.

What is your instantaneous mpg when cruising on a flat part of the motorway, it should show your best possible mpg since any climb, wind, acceleration etc will show a worse mpg.

Do you have the air con on normal or eco setting? you get a few mpg extra when a/c is off. I'd have thought you should be getting 45 plus. It was 10deg C on the day I had my best ever mpg and today it was 13 deg' but apart from these 2 days it's been under 8 deg since I had the car.

........Don't accelerate slowly, accelerate fast to cruise speed.

Interesting you should say that. I was thinking this may be a better strategy too.

The instantaneous fuel economy readout shows high numbers for a long time when you use the mentality of accelerating slowly to cruise speed.

It is actually better to accelerate to speed slowly. Getting to speed fast will cause the ECU to go into an open loop mode for extended period of time, thus richening fuel mix unnecessarily. Can't say exactly how heavy the fuel/air mix gets exactly as I don't have an AFR gauge...

For a normal petrol engine, I would agree with you. But I do wonder if this is the same for my diesel engine.

I am running a Dashhawk data logger, mounted on the dash. I find it easier to just glance sideways to read the car's speed as opposed to the actual speedo. One thing the Dashhawk can detect is Open and Closed Loop fueling modes. This does not register on the diesel.

Back