Rear seat belt mechanism locked...

zhy

:
I aint even mad!
Hi, so yeah I needed to remove the rear (driver side) seat belt assembly for the strut & spring installation.. Now, its blocked and wont budge, its too short so I cant simply bolt it back in and not use it.. ive tried picking the mechanism with the screw driver as well as shaking / tapping it.. no results

any leads? thanks ! (2thumbs)

I'm just guessing here but perhaps the belt retracted too far, wound up the spool too big and jammed the trip mechanism. I remember managing to disassemble the spool and mechanism on a different car years ago and managed to get it working again.
They don't make that too easy though because it's a safety device and the little trigger is really delicate.

Maybe try holding the mechanism in its proper orientation so the trigger is dangling freely (if its not jammed by the belt) then gently pulling the belt out,... It's the shaking (or quick belt movement) that triggers the mechanism. (it reacts to G forces)

You could always cut the belt or leave it off altogether but I'm sure you already thought of that.

Back