Directed Electronics 545T auto headlights

So I want to add auto headlights (I'd also like to use the fogs as DRL, but that's for another day). I see the $30 kit and I'm not afraid to make some re-connections (I've already done the no A/C fix).

But I want to do it right, much like here: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...d-Electronics-545T-Nite-Lite-System&p=5136859
This implementation allows you to leave the headlights on "off" and the nite lite system will automatically turn them on at night. But you can always manually turn on the headlights using the turn signal switch (like during raining days). The key to this wiring method is that it makes the dash lights work properly, so when the lights are auto turned on, the dash lights will dim properly. If you wire this up to control the headlamps directly, you have to manually adjust the dash lights.
so that I can turn the lights on manually when need be.

Can someone shed insight as to where I should make the connections for the desired effect?

TIA

I don't know anything about the CX-9 but I've done the "auto-off with ignition" mod and now I just leave the headlights on all the time (with all the running lights as well) and when I turn off the ignition everything shuts off.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?70345-HOW-TO-Auto-Turn-Off-Head-Parking-Lights

I'm just guessing but that 545T system may not wire in properly to our car,... the CX-9 may have a more complicated headlight system with more control wires.
It sounds like it doesn't shut off the headlights either,... that's part of the CX-9 original equipment.

The wiring information for our cars is very limited as well,... you kinda have to test and reverse engineer to figure out the wiring.

Apparently running the head/running lights reduces your MPG by 1 or 2 MPG but I like to be seen. (that's why we have Daytime Running Lights in Canada).

Last edited:
Well, I ordered the unit and it arrived the other day. You basically have a light sensor and a couple relays that when activated throw current to the parking lights and headlights.

Looking at the wiring for the P5, I'm thinking I don't really want to wire directly to the lights... because I'd still have to turn the headlight switch to get the dash illuminated.

What I think needs to happen here is that when the photocell senses darkness, current should be sent over pin 85/86 of the parking light relay (and headlight relay) to close the circuit. The parking light relay then triggers the dash illumination (among other things). So instead of wiring to the headlights I'm going to splice into the brown and red/yellow wires which provide the negative current that triggers the existing relays, using the same low current wires from the DEI relays. Heck, I wouldn't even need the unit's relays since I'm not using the 15 & 30 amp current...

Back