Fluctuating Cruise Control Speed ???

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 MP5
When I am using my cruise control, I notice that my speed fluctuates by about 3 mph constantly in about 10 second cycles. (straight flat roads)
I was wondering if this was just my car or if it was normal.
(2002 P5 5-speed).

It's not that noticeable but it really shows up on my Ultragauge. My fuel trim, O2 readings, and especially my instantaneous MPG are always moving around.

I'm thinking the people behind me are thinking I don't know how to keep my foot steady on the gas. (it's only 2-3 mph every 10-15 seconds).

If it's only my car, I have no idea what I can do about it. I'll look into the cruise control info in the FSM.

I'll set mine and it stays there for just a few seconds then slowly speeds up three miles an hour then the throttle backs off and it slows down three miles and hour then starts over. It's very cyclic and perfectly timed to cycle every ten or fifteen seconds. Up and down the whole time it's on cruise. It's not that bad but I'm gonna ditch my instantaneous MPG on my Ultragauge and replace it with an average instead. The roads around here are almost perfectly flat and straight so it's nothing to do with climbing hills.

Mine is very similar to this. I've never nailed it down as closely as you have, but it sounds about right. I've never taken the time to troubleshoot it, but I'm guessing it might be a vacuum leak.

I'm hoping it's just Mazda's way of hypermiling,.. trying to save fuel. Then it's normal and I don't need to worry about it.

My moms vibe will run over 5mph what its set for sometimes.

I'm generally anti-Your-Mom-jokes, but my mind grabbed this like a fat kid grabs a corndog.

[OnTopic]

Granted, I live in Missouri, where south of The River we mostly scoff when someone says they found a flat straight stretch of road, but on the interstates you can find them, and I can't say I've really noticed this happening. She's usually pretty good at staying within a mph of where I set it. I'll have to pay more attention next time I run down I44.

i checked mine on the scangauge today. it fluctuated between 45 and 47 when i had CC on

I guess that's good news,... that means it's probably normal then and I don't have to fix anything. Did your scangauge show the numbers constantly moving too?? (like instantaneous MPG, fuel trim, O2 readings ect.)

OK, I'm just gonna ignore it then. The fluctuating speed helps keep people from riding up my ass anyway. (although it probably pisses them off)

Yes, it's normal. My wifes car does it too. Nothing to do with hypermiling. Has to do with the mechanics and programming for the cruise system. The car doesn't know exactly how far to push the pedal, no tables to look upandno predictive algorythm. All it does is read the VSS speed and if you go too low, it opens the valve on the cruise control servo momentarily to open the throttle. Once you get to the upper limit, it opens the other valve to vent some vacuum from the servo and close the throttle slightly. All cruise control systems do it to some extent, usually not noticeably though. the P5 is the worst I've noticed and I've owned and driven a pretty wide variety of cars.

I actually noticed it by feel first then confirmed it when I got a SG2. According to the SG2, at any given speed I can usually average 1.5-2 mpg better than the cruise by having a steady foot and if there are hills, predictively adjusting my foot rather than responding after the speed changes (up or down).

That's just how cruise control works (and has in all the cars I've owned previously). It doesn't hold the throttle at a certain speed; rather it pulses it at intervals to keep it around the approx same speed.

Back