Blower motor speeds up with car speed

Mr Steak

:
'02 Mazda Protege5
Got an 02 P5 three months ago and been noticing that if the blower is set to 0 speed that there is more air coming through at higher car speeds. Is this intentional or not? Been bugging me on cold mornings because as soon as i leave the highway the interior cools down because less hot air is coming through. This only happens with car speed, not engine RPM.

That is normal for almost any car. The outside air pushes its way through the venting and it increases with car speed. That air is still temperature adjustable by setting your temperature to where you want. Maybe turn it to defrost until the car warms up so it blows on the windshield and not on you.

Yeah I keep it on windows all the time when off to metigate it a bit. Still annoying.
Cant recycle air, its set to 0 so the button gets disabled. But while driving +100km/h it blows as hard as 1 or 2
Is there an intake pipe for the cab that i can redirect some

Yeah I keep it on windows all the time when off to metigate it a bit. Still annoying.
Cant recycle air, its set to 0 so the button gets disabled. But while driving +100km/h it blows as hard as 1 or 2
Is there an intake pipe for the cab that i can redirect some

I just checked my car and I can switch my recycle back and forth with the fan off. My engine wasn't running so I could even hear the little motor switching it back and forth. I've done the "AC off with defrost mode" so maybe that has something to do with it.
I'm pretty sure my button has always worked that way but I only ever use recycle when the AC is on.

Can you still adjust the temperature of the air blowing through ???

Last edited:
Got the recycle to work. It gets disabled for some blowing modes (feet or defrost/feet i believe). Guess I'll have to work around this then, didn't know the changing air speed is normal. Thank you guys.

OK,... that makes sense, I did the "AC off in defrost mode" mod which disables the little micro switch on the control board. I guess that then allows me to recycle in any mode (the control circuit doesn't know what mode I'm in.)

You might wanna do this mod, it works awesome. If you want to have the AC compressor going while in defrost mode you just hit the AC button instead of the control circuit having it running all the time in defrost, defrost/floor and even just floor setting. That's a waste of gas and horsepower and is only done to help keep the compressor functioning properly by cycling the compressor oils often.
I just turn on the AC during the winter months every week or so for a few minutes to keep the system healthy.

Doing this mod (which isn't that hard) is a great opportunity to work on the "flickering AC light" problem. Everything is all right there for both mods. The AC has been a problem with our cars since they were a year old. My car started to flicker the light last year but being as I knew exactly what was happening (I read thousands of posts and threads for over a year before I made my first post), I got to it right away and fixed it before I had complete system meltdown (literally).

You may not have had your AC light flicker but chances are extremely good that you will, so doing both mods is a great idea don't wait for the light to flash, just getterdun.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?55382-How-To-Disabling-Automatic-A-C-Defrost-modes

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ht-on-Dash-blinking-and-not-cooling-air-fully

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...the-quot-no-A-C-on-fan-speed-2-3-quot-problem

the default wiring does not allow you to change vent position when the car is in any form of windshield defrost setting (defrost, or foot well/defrost setting)...A lot of cars started doing this as AC became more and more standard...the AC system dehumidifies incoming air, so its the best way to remove condensation on a windshield, even in colder ambient temps...so in these positions, the vent is automatically moved to fresh air, and the AC is turned on regardless of if the little button is pushed in or not...

its also a 'safety' system for the AC system...without it, users may forget to run the AC from time to time through the winter...and the compressor can dry out and start to develop leaks...

also pcb, i don't think that is how the foot well only position works...when you change the position from dash vents to foot wells only...the HVAC system will automatically open that vent to fresh air if it was on recirculate...weirdly though, you can immediately change it back...which is not the case for defrost positions...I can't remember if this position turns the AC on automatically though...

there is a how to article on how to remove all this...but once you learn how it works its not really a big deal...

^ You're definitely right about the AC helping with the defrosting. On certain days with high humidity and around the freezing point the fog on the windshield is really thick. When I start the car and blow the cold air (no warm air yet) on the windshield nothing at all happens, then I hit the AC switch and after about 5 seconds I can see the fog peeling away even though it's still blowing cold.

I did the AC mod soon after I got my car so I don't really remember how the vents worked before the mod. I do remember two little micro switches in there and one was still engaged in the floor position. That could sorta explain your findings.

My dad asked his mechanic once why his mileage was so bad in the winter,... he said don't put it in defrost mode unless you need to. His mileage went up noticeably.
I like keeping the blower on the windshield in the winter to keep it warm and melt the outside snow and don't like the heat blowing in my face. Now I can shut off the AC and only use it when necessary which is really only a few times a year. Once the car is warm, it does a fine job of keeping the window clear without the AC.

Back