Mazda5 AT fluid flush

If it meets the spec, it'll work. Apparently though the real challenge is knowing how long it'll work for.

If it says Mercon V most likely it'll work, a quick email to the mfr can cover your butt easily.

If it says Mercon V most likely it'll work, a quick email to the mfr can cover your butt easily.

Mazda says no to this statement in a TSB is says: ATF M-V (Type M5) has a greater anti-judder specification than Mercon V and Mercon LV ATF.

Mazda says no to this statement in a TSB is says: ATF M-V (Type M5) has a greater anti-judder specification than Mercon V and Mercon LV ATF.
shameless copied from another site FYI:

Subject:
CORRECT APPLICATIONS FOR ATF M-V (TYPE M5) AND MERCONV AUTOMATIC
TRANSMISSION FLUIDS
Bulletin No: 05-005/08
Last Issued: 4/11/2008
Service Bulletin Mazda North American Operations
Irvine, CA 92618-2922
MULTI MODEL - CORRECT APPLICATIONS FOR ATF M-V (TYP

DESCRIPTION
Always be sure to use the correct automatic transmission fluid when replacing ATF. Using the wrong ATF may
cause shift quality complaints or may even damage the transmission.
NOTE:
ATF M-V (TYPE M5) IS NOT THE SAME FLUID AS MERCONV ATF.
ATF M-V (TYPE M5) HAS A GREATER VISCOSITY THAN MERCONV ATF IN LOW TEMPERATURES.
ATF M-V (TYPE M5) HAS A GREATER ANTI-JUDDER SPECIFICATION THAN MERCONV ATF.

CAUTION:
USING ATF OTHER THAN ATF M-V (TYPE M5) IN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS
DESIGNED TO USE ATF M-V (TYPE M5) MAY CAUSE SHIFT QUALITY COMPLAINTS.
USING ATF OTHER THAN MERCONV IN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS DESIGNED TO
USE MERCONV MAY CAUSE TRANSMISSION DAMAGE.

Correct, the window the specs frame out allow overlap so it is possible for one fluid to cover both specs, ex: redline and amsoil both have fluids that cover both specs.

SOME specs don't overlap so if you see them listed together you can easily call BS, example:
NO FLUID EVER could meet Dextron VI AND MERCON V. It's physically impossible. Dextron VI's viscosity at 100C is a MAX of 6.4 cSt while the MINIMUM of Mercon V is 6.8.

Slide from AMSOIL dealer ATF webinar training showing why they make 2 ATF choices, because it's impossible to make one and meet the specs.
Screen%2520Shot%25202013-08-06%2520at%25207.17.14%2520PM.png

Mercon V is VERY close so if you see it listed, email or call the mfr in you're in a pinch (or get an insane deal) to check. Often it's easier for them to make 1 fluid and relabel it for multiple private labels.

Responding to the original posts above - I tried the 3-change approach and it worked really well. Our 2009 had 82k miles when I started the change and the old fluid was BLACK as tar. I'm certain the previous owner never changed it. I drained as much out, added 3.5 Quarts to the "full" line... By mile 10 it was nearly as black as it started. I drove it 1000 miles and did it again, drained 3.5 Q out and put in another 3.5....Again by mile 10 it was dark brownish; but at least not as black as before. I drove another 1000 miles and did it a third time. This time, 1200 miles past the third change, the fluid has remained a nice cherry red color and the car is shifting so much better. I used Castrol IMV and have been very pleased. Not sure why Mazda didn't put this in the recommended maintenance. Great idea, though, to do the 3-change approach.

Responding to the original posts above - I tried the 3-change approach and it worked really well.Great idea, though, to do the 3-change approach.

It works but such a giant hassle. To me, better to disconnect one hose, drain all old fluid and fill new in one step, takes few extra minutes on the initial change but saves having to deal two more times.

Back