Lowering

emeisner

:
Mazda Protege 5
Hey peeps. I am new to the MP5 world and looking to lower my ride. Basically I have a stock 2002 MP5 and would like to drop it a bit. I'm thinking springs right now but would I have to buy new struts? Anyone know of the best springs and where I can get them?

I would like to drop my MP5 as low as possible without buying new struts or getting major rubbing sounds each time I turn a corner. Ha! Any pointers for this newbie?

If you want to drop your car low, you need new struts. Otherwise you will get a bouncy ride and blow your OEM struts. I have Stagg SHS struts and used Tein S-Tech springs. My entire setup cost about $300 and lowers the car 1-2". It sounds like you want more of a drop than that though.

...it also sounds like you might want to do some research. (read: "search")

Cool. Thanks for the info. I was looking around but I'm not super savvy with this stuff sooo.....

So it sounds like it might be the best to get new struts too. I don't want to blow them out. I have been looking for kits online but it seems like the max drop is 1.5 inches. I think 2 inches would be pretty good so I'm going to look into your setup. Thanks for the help.

Where did you get that deal for around 300? I'm looking online and I don't see any good packages like that.

I'm on kyb gr2's struts and Megan springs with a cut coil I'm sitting really low and I have no biuncevat all and the ride is amazing ... search for my build thread and u will see how low I am for a reference

I'm on kyb gr2's struts and Megan springs with a cut coil I'm sitting really low and I have no biuncevat all and the ride is amazing ... search for my build thread and u will see how low I am for a reference

Nice bro. Is this something that I can have a basic mechanic shop do? I mean, can they cut the coil like you did?

U can easily do it before u put the springs on your struts... cause I doubt a shop will cut your springs

That's what I was afraid of. haha. I have NO experience with that kind of stuff nor do I have the tools. Maybe you could do it for me? ha!

Get some Tokico HP blues struts and eibach springs.

Part numbers for struts:
HB 2223-RF
HB2225-RR
HB2224-LF
HB2226-LR

I would not cut your springs IMO

Get some Tokico HP blues struts and eibach springs.

Part numbers for struts:
HB 2223-RF
HB2225-RR
HB2224-LF
HB2226-LR

I would not cut your springs IMO

Cool. I have been looking for the drop on this setup but seem to locate it. What is the drop on your car?

I don't have that set up anymore because of my back. it will drop your P5 2'' I did a before and after measurement.
It looks good and you can still drive around without worrying too much about scrapping.

dont cut your springs, there's a reason why shops wont do it for you. if you're planning on keeping the car for more than a year invest in some good struts like tokico blues, it'll save you the hassle of replacing them within a short period of time. not to mention the car will ride better

Where did you get that deal for around 300? I'm looking online and I don't see any good packages like that.

Struts were like $189 shipped from ebay, and springs were $100 or $125 used from a member on the forum. I agree with Brian_K that you should invest in some better struts, but the Staggs seem to be working for me and others. So for now I'm good with these.

If you want to drop your car low, you need new struts. Otherwise you will get a bouncy ride and blow your OEM struts. I have Stagg SHS struts and used Tein S-Tech springs. My entire setup cost about $300 and lowers the car 1-2". It sounds like you want more of a drop than that though.

...it also sounds like you might want to do some research. (read: "search")

How are those stuts Stagg?! They handle well?! They decent?!.

How much did you cut the coil?! Fronts or back?!

I just lowered my car.. make sure you get the good endlinks.. I had to return to the piece store 2 times (If you had to cut / replace them)
What you will need is 2006 AWD Ford escape front endlinks and mazdaspeed protege rear endlinks (If you dont upgrade your swaybar in the process)

How are those stuts Stagg?! They handle well?! They decent?!.

How much did you cut the coil?! Fronts or back?!

The Staggs are pretty darn good for the price. If you want more opinions, search this forum and find the thread on them. They ride well and are reasonably firm, but as Brian said, your best bet is Tokicos. I am a cheapskate, however, so I went with the cheapest option that will still be decent. So far I am happy with my purchase.

And please, do not cut your springs. If you must go lower, do it the right way. Springs are made to a certain height and stiffness for a reason. I am going to go out on a limb and assume (forgive me if I am wrong) that you are not a mechanic or an engineer, and therefore have no idea what effects that could have on your ride quality and safety. For your own sake, just don't. If you need more low, get coilovers, more aggressive drop springs, or Ground Control/Skunk2 sleeves.

Back