Swiss Cheesed my extra airbox today - AMAZING RESULTS

I picked up an extra lower portion of the airbox awhile back.
I was waiting until I figured out my cold pinging issue (which seafoam and many tanks of 89 fixed) to proceed.
Today I went to work on the extra airbox. I removed the airbox horn looking tube on the side nearest the fender, which leaves a huge factory hole on the side of the lower airbox. I then drilled a bunch of approximately 5/8 inch holes on the front of it (on either side of the cold intake tube) and some holes in the bottom and on the side nearest the fender (on either side of the huge factory hole) . Did not drill any holes on engine side. Then installed and put my k &n drop in filter in.

The sound is legendary. I love it. Its a beast!!

I still have an OEM unmolested lower half in case I want it quiet again.

In my opinion, it has a very noticeable torque response.

Pictures please .. (alright)

Second that...
I just got a 2008 Black GT , and also wanted to do this mod ,
Took off the air box , but didn't wanna hassle with drilling through it , and found this option viable.
Took off the narrow nose tube that pulls air from down the wheel well , and sounds much better...
IMG-20130519-00360.jpgIMG-20130519-00361.jpg

Yeah yeah yeah, I will.... I forgot.

yeah it pops off pretty nicely. Lucky for me, acquiring an additional lower air box portion, I had nothing to lose so I went ahead and drilled the heck out of it.

You drilled it out , and also took that thing off?!
Gotta see some pics...

Bringing this thread back from the dead... How did you pop off the little tube on the bottom? Does it just pop out if you pull hard, or do you need to separate the inner lip and outer lip? Thanks.

Please post some pictures if you can. It is hard to understand what exactly you did without some pics.

did you notice any loss in low-end power below 2500RPM?

Will post pix another time. My go to hosting site Photobucket just blocked all external linking. Need to find another host. No loss. Basically you are increasing.airflow across the RPM spectrum slightly and my estimate is perhaps another 10hp or so. Unsnapping that plastic tube is stupid easy. Don't put too much thought into it. Comes right off. Bottom of air box pops out of rubber cushions. I just drilled a bunch of 1 inch or similar holes all over the bottom of the airbox, trying to keep the holes on the fresh air side and not on the engine side. Don't want to pull in hot air.

I picked up an extra lower portion of the airbox awhile back.
I was waiting until I figured out my cold pinging issue (which seafoam and many tanks of 89 fixed) to proceed.
Today I went to work on the extra airbox. I removed the airbox horn looking tube on the side nearest the fender, which leaves a huge factory hole on the side of the lower airbox. I then drilled a bunch of approximately 5/8 inch holes on the front of it (on either side of the cold intake tube) and some holes in the bottom and on the side nearest the fender (on either side of the huge factory hole) . Did not drill any holes on engine side. Then installed and put my k &n drop in filter in.

The sound is legendary. I love it. Its a beast!!

I still have an OEM unmolested lower half in case I want it quiet again.

In my opinion, it has a very noticeable torque response.

A picture would be worth at least a thousand words. Thanks! :)

Back