Baby Seats in CX-5

Here is my daughter in the infant carrier in the back seat. Easy to get her in and out IMO (LOTS easier than my wifes focus anyway). I do usually tilt the passenger seat forward for some extra maneuvering room.

Front seat is adjusted to be comfortable for my leggy 5'10" wife, Ill grab a pic of the front seat for comparison next time we are out.

[im ghttp://evan55.smugmug.com/Other/grace-at-home/i-BkZMXWL/0/L/IMG_20130405_ 191108-L.jpg[/img]

Evan, is this the carseat?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I am revisiting this thread, as our baby will outgrow his current seat (Britax B-Safe) in the couple of months or so. There were a few posters in this thread who were close to buying new convertible seats. I'm curious what you all ended up getting.

I am revisiting this thread, as our baby will outgrow his current seat (Britax B-Safe) in the couple of months or so. There were a few posters in this thread who were close to buying new convertible seats. I'm curious what you all ended up getting.

Just let her drive, it's much easier.
PcODfz0.jpg

On a serious note, I'm interested too. I ended up with a B-Safe in the center also. So far so good. I have some time before I need to get a convertible, but starting to research already. Anybody stick a Recaro baby seat in there? What's the recommended convertible that most of you are using?

Ha, j3rmz! What a cutie.

It looks like there are lots of good options out there. No matter what though, I will be trying each and every one out in the car this time before we buy to make sure they fit well.

anyone have a Diono RadianRXT? Does it fit?

Just installed a Radian RXT rear facing last week for our 12-month-old. I'm 6'5", so I don't know how helpful my experience is, but the only way it would work for us was putting it in the middle. And that was with the angle adjuster for the seat. I tried putting it behind the passenger seat but I wouldn't be able to fit in the passenger seat if my wife was driving. In the middle it's still touching the front seats since I have to have the seat all the way back, but the Radian RXT is able to touch since it's one of just a few seats with the steel-reinforced frame. Overall I'm just resigned to the fact that rear facing car seats are a pain in the rear (no pun intended!) unless you drive a Town Car or Suburban or something, and especially if you're a tall freak like me.

Last edited:
Just installed a Radian RXT rear facing last week for our 12-month-old. I'm 6'5", so I don't know how helpful my experience is, but the only way it would work for us was putting it in the middle. And that was with the angle adjuster for the seat. I tried putting it behind the passenger seat but I wouldn't be able to fit in the passenger seat if my wife was driving. In the middle it's still touching the front seats since I have to have the seat all the way back, but the Radian RXT is able to touch since it's one of just a few seats with the steel-reinforced frame. Overall I'm just resigned to the fact that rear facing car seats are a pain in the rear (no pun intended!) unless you drive a Town Car or Suburban or something, and especially if you're a tall freak like me.

haha, thanks for the info!!

Overall I'm just resigned to the fact that rear facing car seats are a pain in the rear (no pun intended!) unless you drive a Town Car or Suburban or something, and especially if you're a tall freak like me.

Completely agree. My wife and I aren't freakishly tall but we're 6'2" & 5'11" so we're certainly not short either. Our other cars are a Trailblazer and a quad cab Dakota and the rear facing seats are a tight fit even in them. We have a 2 1/2 year old and another one on the way with plans for three total. I have no idea what we're going to do when the third comes along and we have a booster seat, a convertible seat, and a rear facing infant seat. We'll be forced to find something with third row seating I guess and the wife has informed me several times that "I will NOT drive a minivan."

Anyway, FWIW here are photos of a Graco Snugride 35 in the back seat of our 2014 CX-5. We have to move the seat up a bit to fit it but my wife says she still has enough room. I tried putting it in the middle but with the other kids car seat it was too tight of a fit plus then you can't use the LATCH system for both.

gracosnugride1.jpg

gracosnugride2.jpg

Hi, I'm new here and I would really appreciate some insight. We have a Mazda CX-5 and currently two car seats installed, one rear-facing behind the passenger seat, and one forward-facing behind the driver. We are considering adding a third child to our family but we would like to know whether we would need to change vehicles. By the time baby would be here, the FF seat should have been replaced by a high-back booster, and the RF one turned FF, so the only RF seat would be an infant or a convertible one. We do need to replace our seats for probably Diono (Radian) ones since those have a smaller footprint - it would be impossible with our current seats. Has anyone done it? One Diono RF, one Diono FF, and one high-back booster? TIA!

This was a great read. I am looking to purchase a CX5 in the future for my wife which will need two convertible seats, one rear facing and one forward facing. I guess the real consensus is check your seats in the car before purchasing, which we plan on doing. It looks like we may be forced to go to the Mazda5 instead if they don't fit however.

I went from a 2010 genesis sedan to the CX-5. The rear facing baby seat behind the driver side if a bit tight. I can't lean my seat back like I want without running into the baby seat. I would put it the middle or on my wife's side but she likes he be able to place the pacifier in the little guys mouth. He gets real fussy in the car seat for some reason. I'm 6 foot and 210lbs so Im not a short guy.

I'll add my .02 . . .

Wife and I bought our 2014 CX-5 last December, had the baby in April. We also have a Britax B-safe, which we put behind the passenger seat. We definitely have to move that seat up to accommodate the baby carrier, but my wife is 5'3" so it's fine. My wife was concerned about getting the carrier in and out of the car, but she's had no problems whatsoever.

The Forester had the widest door openings of the cars we looked at. One of the things that crossed the Santa Fe off our list is that the seats are a little higher off the ground and thus more difficult for her. From what we saw, just about all the compact SUVs were less than ideal when putting a rear-facing infant car seat in. They all require a little bit of compromise/seat moving.

But, the seat after the rear-facing infant seat take up less room, so I wouldn't base your buying decision solely on the fit of the infant seat. Unless you only plan on having the car for a short time, the time you have to worry about the fit of the infant seat is pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things.

My wife and I purchased a convertible car seat and well lets say its going to stay in my boys room till he can do the forward facing bit. I'll deal with somewhat uncomfortable position to have him behind the driver seat just so my wife can address his crying issues going down the road. I would put little man in the middle but even with a rear facing convertible seat its almost asking to much out of two 6 foot people.

My wife and I returned the other car seat and went to baby's-r-us and test fitted about 10 seats. This Graco gave us the most room to work with. Now this seat will not fit behind any seat and has to be placed in the middle for both my wife and I. The seat still hits both front seats even with the seats moved up a little and the .

Driver side right leg room.

Passenger side leg room!

Attachments

• IMG_20140706_140419.jpg
    IMG_20140706_140419.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 2,618
  • IMG_20140706_140549.jpg
    IMG_20140706_140549.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 2,614
  • IMG_20140706_140652.jpg
    IMG_20140706_140652.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 2,600
  • IMG_20140706_140437.jpg
    IMG_20140706_140437.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 2,640
Last edited:
We went with a Chicco Nextfit. We have been mostly happy with it. It is ridiculously easy to install and adjust. Our son seems to be very comfortable in it. On the con side, it is very heavy, so you won't want to move it from car to car often. It has big headwings, so your kid won't be able to see out to the sides well. It is a deep bucket seat, so it is a bit tough to put the kid in it and take him out. Installing in the middle does allow people to sit on either side of the seat, but it is not comfortable for long rides.

We put it in the middle of the backseat. I am 6'1". I can't move the driver seat back as far back as I usually would, but I can get close. This is my wife's car, so that is not a big deal. Things will definitely get better once we turn him around forward facing.

My Subaru Outback has a ton of room for seats. We take it whenever we go on a road trip.

I bought a Britax Pavilion convertible car seat last month and I think that it fits nicely in the CX-5, even in a rear facing configuration. I am 6 ft and I don't think that I would be able to find a comfortable driving position if the car seat was set up behind the driver seat, so I put it behind the passenger seat. See attached pics.

Attachments

• IMG_3207.JPG
    IMG_3207.JPG
    219 KB · Views: 2,758
  • IMG_3208.JPG
    IMG_3208.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 2,843
  • IMG_3209.JPG
    IMG_3209.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 2,712
Back