Baby Seats in CX-5

I had the same experience as STW. The Britax seat works fine, if you need to put the carrier behind either of the front seats you will definitely need to put the handle in the upright position. In the center position, it really depends on the heights of the front passenger.

The reviews around the internet seem to imply that the Britax seat is the biggest rear facing available, if you can get it into a vehicle, any other one will fit. And in the case of the CX-5, it does!

We will soon have a rear facing convertible and a rear facing infant carrier. Hopefully in a CX-5 if they fit! Baby seats do not fit very well in 3.

We currently have a forward facing seat and will be adding an infant carrier in the next couple of weeks. With our first child we used a Chicco Keyfit 30 that we borrowed from my sister. Since that seat has now expired we are looking for a new infant seat. I'm the primary driver and am 6'5". My wife is 5'3". We are considering either another Chicco or the Graco Snugride 35. Does anybody have any suggestions for one that may fit better?

I have the Graco. We have to bring the pasenger seat forward a bit for it to fit, but my 5'8" wife is still comfortable. I'm 6'4" and would have a hard time sitting there though... I haven't tried putting the seat in the center as suggested here though, but I have a feeling it would not fit with my seat fully back.

I have the Graco. We have to bring the pasenger seat forward a bit for it to fit, but my 5'8" wife is still comfortable. I'm 6'4" and would have a hard time sitting there though... I haven't tried putting the seat in the center as suggested here though, but I have a feeling it would not fit with my seat fully back.

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like I will have to move my daughter's forward facing seat behind me so there is room for the infant seat.

I'm 6'6", wife is 5'9" and I'm perfectly comfortable with my daughter's baby seat behind me. It's a Mamas & Papas Primo Viaggio with an ISOFIX base that stays in the car. I just need to raise the drivers seat up an inch or so and there's more than enough room. My two other girls are 7 & 10 (7 year old uses a booster seat, 10 year old is nearly adult sized already!) and there's more than enough room behind us with all 3 girls in the back.

I'm 6'6", wife is 5'9" and I'm perfectly comfortable with my daughter's baby seat behind me. It's a Mamas & Papas Primo Viaggio with an ISOFIX base that stays in the car. I just need to raise the drivers seat up an inch or so and there's more than enough room. My two other girls are 7 & 10 (7 year old uses a booster seat, 10 year old is nearly adult sized already!) and there's more than enough room behind us with all 3 girls in the back.

You did not mention if it was front or rear facing. That makes a huge difference. Also, for most seats, you can't have the baby unit touch the front seat, so that requires a bit more room. In my case, raising the front seat a notch is not realy an option either, since my hair brushes the celing when I do that. I'll try the center position this weekend to see if it gives us a bit more room.

I have a Diono RX100 convertible on the right side behind the front passenger seat. If I put it rear-facing it doesn't leave too much room for the front passenger. So I did what others suggested and put a pool noodle beneath the seat. The seat is more upright (harder for the baby to fall asleep) but I can move the front passenger seat back to a position that can comfortably seat a 6 foot tall male.

You did not mention if it was front or rear facing. That makes a huge difference. Also, for most seats, you can't have the baby unit touch the front seat, so that requires a bit more room. In my case, raising the front seat a notch is not realy an option either, since my hair brushes the celing when I do that. I'll try the center position this weekend to see if it gives us a bit more room.

Sorry - she's in a rear facing seat. My drivers seat is electric, so has fine control over the height. I can crank the height up quite high before I touch the ceiling. How tall is your hair do? :-o

D

^ Not that high, but I have the moonroof ;). I think that lowers the ceiling a bit...

I have a Diono RX100 convertible on the right side behind the front passenger seat. If I put it rear-facing it doesn't leave too much room for the front passenger. So I did what others suggested and put a pool noodle beneath the seat. The seat is more upright (harder for the baby to fall asleep) but I can move the front passenger seat back to a position that can comfortably seat a 6 foot tall male.

Note that most Diono seats have a metal backing making it more rigid (and heavy!) than others, so you can back the front seat right against it. I think they are the only baby seats rated for that. I would be careful about changing the angle of the seat with pool noodles though. A change in the seat angle might change its behaviour in an accident, making it less safe. Refer to the manual before doing that...

Note that most Diono seats have a metal backing making it more rigid (and heavy!) than others, so you can back the front seat right against it. I think they are the only baby seats rated for that. I would be careful about changing the angle of the seat with pool noodles though. A change in the seat angle might change its behaviour in an accident, making it less safe. Refer to the manual before doing that...

I have a Diono Radian R100 rear facing in the middle seat of my CX-5. I bought the Diono Radian Angle Adjuster for $12 from Amazon. It probably works the same as the pool noodle, but it's just the right size and doesn't invalidate the warranty.

I have a Diono Radian R100 rear facing in the middle seat of my CX-5. I bought the Diono Radian Angle Adjuster for $12 from Amazon. It probably works the same as the pool noodle, but it's just the right size and doesn't invalidate the warranty.

We test drove 4 small SUVs (for my husband) last week: The CX-5, the Ford Escape, the Honda CR-V, and the Nissan Rogue. We installed my daughter's rear-facing convertible car seat (the Chicco KeyFit) in all four of them behind the passenger seat (with LATCH, not that it matters) and the CX-5 was the only car of the four where I didn't have any leg room in the front. I'm only 5'3" and my knees were up against the glove compartment. We even tried it installed with a seat belt in the middle and it wasn't any better since the carseat is wide and still hits the back of the passenger front seat. HOWEVER, that's the only thing we didn't like about the car...and we didn't really love any of the other three so we're buying the CX-5. That said, we will not be buying another Chicco KeyFit seat for it (he has her infant seat still in his current car) - we'll have to buy the Diono Radian with the angle adjuster and just deal with it until she's forward facing.

Once we have the car and both seats I can post pictures of both rear-facing convertibles for future reference.

Here is my daughter in the infant carrier in the back seat. Easy to get her in and out IMO (LOTS easier than my wifes focus anyway). I do usually tilt the passenger seat forward for some extra maneuvering room.

Front seat is adjusted to be comfortable for my leggy 5'10" wife, Ill grab a pic of the front seat for comparison next time we are out.

IMG_20130405_191108-L.jpg

Evan, thanks for the pic. Cutie!

Looks like it's do-able. My wife is also 5'10". I'm 6'4" so it's not going behind me. Do you happen to have a shot of the front seat as mentioned? Thank you!

Evan, thanks for the pic. Cutie!

Looks like it's do-able. My wife is also 5'10". I'm 6'4" so it's not going behind me. Do you happen to have a shot of the front seat as mentioned? Thank you!

Mirror image of my family (me=6'4", wife=5'10"). Were are both very comfortable with the carrier behind her. It might be tighter when we switch to the convertable seat, but we still have months before that happens.

testing out the safety1st base and infant carrier parts of a travel system we got as a gift

it fits, but the seat its behind has to just be a few notches back of full forward, so in my wifes cx5 i barely fit in the pax seat (6'3", she's 5'1") with the base and carrier installed
in my cx5 its ok because she's so short, didn't bother with center location since its wide enough to interfere with both seats then

i think its more an issue with the size of the infant carrier than any deficiencies in the seating room of the cx5

We have the https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) and, in the rear facing postion, the passenger seat must be up a fair bit, as well as the incline of the back. I'm 5'6" and really don't like it much but we only need to do it when traveling with our granddaughter - it's not an everyday thing.

If we don't put in padding so the leveler is level, and the seat is tipped toward the backset more, it's not bad. This would cause the child to sit slightly more upright than leaned back, which I don't think is a problem as long as they are strapped in.

Our Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP 30/30 arrived yesterday, and we fitted it into my CX-5 to check the fit. Had to move the passenger seat forward one notch from where it normally stays (could also have been solved by putting the seat back up a little bit), but there was sufficient leg room left in the passenger seat for either myself or my wife.

Is the infant seat or rear facing convertible worse for fitting in the CX-5. I have a 7 month old so we have not yet purchased a rear facing convertible. I was planning to take the infant seat to the dealer when I test drive. Is front seat legroom going to be much less when we transition to the convertible?

Back