Baby Seats in CX-5

birdman579

:
2004 Lava Orange Mazda3
My wife and I are in the market for a new car to replace her 2001 Elantra. We were initially all set to buy the CX-5, but loading an infant carrier into the back seat seemed awkward at the auto show. The wheel well protrudes significantly into the door creating a smaller opening. The Escape and CR-V were much easier to get an infant carrier in. The Ford has terrible reliability and the CR-V is boring so I really want the CX-5.

Any parents out there own a CX-5? Do you have any difficulty putting in your infant carrier? We have the Britax B-Safe seat. Also, how well do rear facing convertibles fit behind the passenger seat? I'm 5-10 and my wife is 5-6.

My wife and I are in the market for a new car to replace her 2001 Elantra. We were initially all set to buy the CX-5, but loading an infant carrier into the back seat seemed awkward at the auto show. The wheel well protrudes significantly into the door creating a smaller opening. The Escape and CR-V were much easier to get an infant carrier in. The Ford has terrible reliability and the CR-V is boring so I really want the CX-5.

Any parents out there own a CX-5? Do you have any difficulty putting in your infant carrier? We have the Britax B-Safe seat. Also, how well do rear facing convertibles fit behind the passenger seat? I'm 5-10 and my wife is 5-6.

It would probably be physically easier if you purchased a car that sits lower to the ground like a small to mid-sized sedan or wagon.

We have an infant seat in for our grandchild and it's much easier to get in and out than the BMW 3 series we had before. I'm not sure the model but the only complaint I have is that when the seat is in the base unit, the front seat must be moved farther forward than I would normally have it. We're about to switch to another type of seat because the child is getting taller and I think it's a Britax, but I don't know for certain (our kids are picking it up.)

So if your concern is getting the seat and child in the back, I would say it's no problem. But if your concern is how it affects the front seat's ability to recline or be set back, you will probably need to try out your particular seat.

I have child seats -graco- and no problems. That being said, they are both front-facing seats. My children outgrew the infant seats before I bought my CX5. I do remember though that rear-facing seats do consume a lot more room. In my previous car -subaru wrx- which has less legroom than the cx5 it was OK with the rear-facing seat. I was able to get decent legroom in the front by reducing the incline of the seat and then I could put it back more. I'm sure the same trick will work with the CX-5.

Hey Birdman. We just got a CX-5 for my wife this past weekend. We also have the Britax B-Safe for our 4.5 month old. We did not take the seat to the dealer to make sure that it would fit correctly and had a little "oh crap" moment when we tried to install the seat at home.

In my Subaru Outback, I put the B-Safe seat in the middle of the backseat. I'm 6'1". When I put the B-Safe's carry handle all the in the down position (behind baby's head), I still have plenty of seat room in the driver's seat (and passenger seat, too).

However, when we tried to do the same thing in the CX-5, we could not fit the seat in the same position, even with the driver seat adjusted to my 5'6" wife. It simply wouldn't click in, as the handle hit the back of the front seats. Ack!!!

I did a little research and found that it is ok to leave the carry handle of the B-Safe in the upright locked position. When we do that, the seat fits fine in the middle of the backseat of the CX-5.

I did try installing the B-Safe behind the front passenger seat. With the handle all the way forward, we have to move the front seat pretty far up to an uncomfortably close to the glove box position. With the handle in the upright locked position, it's just fine.

Here's a pic with the seat unable to click in with the handle all the way down:
aKreKBy.jpg

And here's a pic with the seat clicked in, with the handle in the upright locked position:
ch49BOl.jpg

My suggestion is that you definitely take the base and seat to the dealer to see if this solution will work out for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I just bought a CX-5, infant carrier in the rear seat was a major factor. I found that it fit in the CX-5 better than any other compact SUV (although I didnt try the rav4). Santa Fe was slightly better but thats a much bigger SUV. The rear seat on the CX-5 is generous for the size of vehicle.

I eliminated the escape because the tiny rear seats are too small for an infant carrier.

Personally I think the infant carrier fits just fine in the cx-5. Im 6'2" and my wife is 5'10". It fits fine behind her seat/passenger or in the middle (havent tried behind me) Youre not going to have the front seats all the way back so keep your expectations reasonable but there is enough legroom for my leggy 5'10" wife.

Last edited:
I just bought a CX-5, infant carrier in the rear seat was a major factor. I found that it fit in the CX-5 better than any other compact SUV (although I didnt try the rav4). Santa Fe was slightly better but thats a much bigger SUV. The rear seat on the CX-5 is generous for the size of vehicle.

I eliminated the escape because the tiny rear seats are too small for an infant carrier.

Personally I think the infant carrier fits just fine in the cx-5. Im 6'2" and my wife is 5'10". It fits fine behind her seat/passenger or in the middle (havent tried behind me) Youre not going to have the front seats all the way back so keep your expectations reasonable but there is enough legroom for my leggy 5'10" wife.

Interesting to know how it compared to other compact SUVs. I'm curious - do you have the handle up? Also, I didn't realize you could put the seat in the middle - do you use the LATCH system?

We'll have to try some of these suggestions out. Very helpful.

I usually have the handle up. I might put it one click back after mounting it so I can see her face and pinch a cheek :)

Yes I use the latch anchors in the middle, you just use the innermost anchor from the left and right seats.
the middle doesnt give you a ton more legroom, and it makes it harder on your back to get the carrier in and out (although it is safer too) so usually I just keep the base mounted behind the passenger seat.

I had the Britax Bsafe as well and my wife actually tested putting the car seat in the car with our son already in it. We tested both the CX-5 and the CRV. She did think the CRV was easier but did not like the way the steering felt. We have had the CX-5 for about 9 months now and have moved onto a convertible car seat. Right now it is read facing and it does somewhat limit how far I can put my seat back. I'm only 5'9" but I have had some friends in the case who are well over 6' and they don't have any problems fitting in the front seat with the car seat installed. I have my car seat installed in the middle of the rear seat using the latch anchors as well.

I am using the middle seatbelt to secure the seat. I've read that it is suggested to NOT use the LATCH system in the middle backseat unless they are specifically meant for it. I know the new Honda CRV had 6 LATCH anchors, for instance, (2 each for the outside seats and 2 for the middle one). From what I understand, the spacing isn't correct for the systems that only have four anchors - they are meant only for the outer seats in that case.

OK, I just found the relevant section in the CX-5 Manual about using LATCH anchors for the middle seat.

---
Installation on rear center seat
The LATCH lower anchors at the center
of the rear seat are much further apart than
the sets of LATCH lower anchors for
child-restraint system installation at other
seating positions. Child-restraint systems
with rigid LATCH attachments cannot be
installed on the center seating position.
Some LATCH equipped child-restraint
systems can be placed in the center
position and will reach the nearest
LATCH lower anchors which are 420 mm
(16.5 in) apart. LATCH compatible child restraint systems (with attachments on belt
webbing) can be used at this seating
position only if the child-restraint system
manufacturer's instructions state that the
child-restraint system can be installed to
LATCH lower anchors that are 420 mm
(16.5 in) apart. Do not attach two child restraint systems to the same LATCH
lower anchor. If your child-restraint
system has a tether, it must also be used
for your child's optimum safety
---

So make sure your seat says you can use LATCH anchors that are further apart than normal. Just a FYI!

Thanks for all the great replies! Seems as though the infant carrier should fit fine in the CX-5.

What about access with loading the infant carrier? I get the impression an SUV is easier when placing an infant carrier on one of the sides, but more difficult for the middle position due to the long reach. Does that sound about right?

Anyone have experience with a rear facing convertible seat? Babies are supposed to be rear facing until age 2 and I can see having a second baby before our first is 2 years old. That would mean an infant carrier on one side and a rear facing convertible on the other side.

I am using the middle seatbelt to secure the seat. I've read that it is suggested to NOT use the LATCH system in the middle backseat unless they are specifically meant for it. I know the new Honda CRV had 6 LATCH anchors, for instance, (2 each for the outside seats and 2 for the middle one). From what I understand, the spacing isn't correct for the systems that only have four anchors - they are meant only for the outer seats in that case.

OK, I just found the relevant section in the CX-5 Manual about using LATCH anchors for the middle seat.

---
Installation on rear center seat
The LATCH lower anchors at the center
of the rear seat are much further apart than
the sets of LATCH lower anchors for
child-restraint system installation at other
seating positions. Child-restraint systems
with rigid LATCH attachments cannot be
installed on the center seating position.
Some LATCH equipped child-restraint
systems can be placed in the center
position and will reach the nearest
LATCH lower anchors which are 420 mm
(16.5 in) apart. LATCH compatible child restraint systems (with attachments on belt
webbing) can be used at this seating
position only if the child-restraint system
manufacturer's instructions state that the
child-restraint system can be installed to
LATCH lower anchors that are 420 mm
(16.5 in) apart. Do not attach two child restraint systems to the same LATCH
lower anchor. If your child-restraint
system has a tether, it must also be used
for your child's optimum safety
---

So make sure your seat says you can use LATCH anchors that are further apart than normal. Just a FYI!

We have our infant base mounted in the center of my wife's Elantra using the LATCH anchors. I measured the separation and the anchors are well within spec in her Elantra. I imagine only very large vehicles (Suburban, F-150, etc) would need a 3rd set of LATCH anchors in the middle due to the separation issue.

Thanks for the information about putting the car seat in the middle seat. I just pulled up the manual for my car seat and it says as long as the anchors are more that 11 inches apart from each other when the car seat is in the middle seat position it is safe to install the seat using the latch anchors.

We put our Graco Snugride in the middle with the snap in adapter. It fits fine, and is easy for me to put the seat in. My wife has to climb into the car to get it all the way in.

Here is my daughter in the infant carrier in the back seat. Easy to get her in and out IMO (LOTS easier than my wifes focus anyway). I do usually tilt the passenger seat forward for some extra maneuvering room.

Front seat is adjusted to be comfortable for my leggy 5'10" wife, Ill grab a pic of the front seat for comparison next time we are out.

IMG_20130405_191108-L.jpg

I had the Britax Bsafe as well and my wife actually tested putting the car seat in the car with our son already in it. We tested both the CX-5 and the CRV. She did think the CRV was easier but did not like the way the steering felt. We have had the CX-5 for about 9 months now and have moved onto a convertible car seat. Right now it is read facing and it does somewhat limit how far I can put my seat back. I'm only 5'9" but I have had some friends in the case who are well over 6' and they don't have any problems fitting in the front seat with the car seat installed. I have my car seat installed in the middle of the rear seat using the latch anchors as well.

We just went on a short trip yesterday. We put the B-Safe behind the passenger seat to see how it affected legroom. I fit in the passenger seat just barely ok (I'm 6'1), but anything longer than the 45 minute drive would have been not so good. Someone suggested tilting the seat back forward, which would allow you to scoot it back a bit. I tried that, and it gave me good legroom, but wasn't comfortable because of the seating angle. I wonder if I have something way off with the setup?

Evan55, specific seat do you use? Here are the SPECS for my B-Safe. Cute kid!

We just went on a short trip yesterday. We put the B-Safe behind the passenger seat to see how it affected legroom. I fit in the passenger seat just barely ok (I'm 6'1), but anything longer than the 45 minute drive would have been not so good. Someone suggested tilting the seat back forward, which would allow you to scoot it back a bit. I tried that, and it gave me good legroom, but wasn't comfortable because of the seating angle. I wonder if I have something way off with the setup?

Evan55, specific seat do you use? Here are the SPECS for my B-Safe. Cute kid!
thanks. Im using the graco snugride 35. Im currently shopping for a convertible carseat since she is almost out of the infant carrier. Im curious to hear what convertibles others are using in this car. (I may start another thread for that)

I will be following any such thread about convertible carseats closely. We still have a ways to go, as our kid is only 5 months old.

Back