Baby Seats in CX-5

For those with the Diono Radian RXT Convertible as rear-facing, did you need to buy and use Diono's angle adjuster? (I am hoping to install in the middle.)

Btw - the Chicco Keyfit 30 rear-facing infant car seat has been great for us so far! It is installed in the middle, and still provides me with ample leg room in the front (6'0 tall). I initially installed it using LATCH, but after getting it inspected through my county's free inspection program, they advised that it was not a tight enough fit and recommended using the seat belts instead, which ended up providing a much more secure fit and immovable.

If you're installing it in the middle you'll probably be able to get away with not needing the adjuster, but behind a seat it's absolutely necessary unless you are tiny. In fact, we need to buy a new one because the old one has been in use for a couple of years now and is crushed pretty badly so it's causing the child seat to lean towards the seat more than I'd like it to.

If you're installing it in the middle you'll probably be able to get away with not needing the adjuster, but behind a seat it's absolutely necessary unless you are tiny. In fact, we need to buy a new one because the old one has been in use for a couple of years now and is crushed pretty badly so it's causing the child seat to lean towards the seat more than I'd like it to.

It really depends on how you need to position your front seats. I'm 6'5", so installing the Diono in the middle without using the angle adjuster still interfered too much with the front seats. Install without the angle adjuster to see, then buy if necessary. I would have used the angle adjuster regardless, since it allowed my son to sit a little more upright.

It really depends on how you need to position your front seats. I'm 6'5", so installing the Diono in the middle without using the angle adjuster still interfered too much with the front seats. Install without the angle adjuster to see, then buy if necessary. I would have used the angle adjuster regardless, since it allowed my son to sit a little more upright.

I'm 5'10" and I don't think it would have worked for me in the middle either. There's more room in the middle for a smaller person but for taller I agree. We have it behind the passenger seat with the adjuster in place.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight guys. I initially thought we would keep the infant seat for at least a year but my son's head is already getting close to the top of the seat.

$300 seems like a lot for the Diono but I guess this convertible should last much longer. Will probably start using when my son hits 6 months (almost 4 months right now).

Thanks for the insight guys. I initially thought we would keep the infant seat for at least a year but my son's head is already getting close to the top of the seat.

$300 seems like a lot for the Diono but I guess this convertible should last much longer. Will probably start using when my son hits 6 months (almost 4 months right now).

Wow, your son is growing fast! We were lucky in that we didn't have to make the change until 12 months with our daughter.

Diono seats have gone on sale quite a few times on Amazon (and other sites). I scored mine on one of the Prime days at a substantial discount. There's no reason you should have to pay full price for it if you keep an eye out.

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums as well as new to CX-5 ownership. (I've got a 2016 CX-5 Touring.) I noticed that this thread is over two years old. Is this still up to date? I am curious if anyone has any new information to share?

We're expecting in August so we have time to figure out which infant/convertible seat is the best for our vehicle. Any and all pointers welcome.

It would probably be physically easier if you purchased a car that sits lower to the ground like a small to mid-sized sedan or wagon.

would have to disagree, it's actually easier on a suv/cuv than a sedan where you don't have to lean over, better for your back and also better head clearance.

would have to disagree, it's actually easier on a suv/cuv than a sedan where you don't have to lean over, better for your back and also better head clearance.

This is relative to the person's height. I have an easier time loading my son into the car seat on the CX-5, while my wife who is shorter than me has trouble with it. She thinks it is easier to load our son into my Mazdaspeed3.

Back