Code Reader Options....

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 MP5
A code reader is a great idea and you have a few options. A regular reader for about $50 - $200. But I ordered an Ultra-Gauge for $108 (all in, shipped to Canada) and it not only reads and rubs codes but shows 46 different gauges for my car and mounts to the dash and looks pretty clean (it doesn't show closed loop on our cars though, so Scangauge may be better but more money).

Another option that I didn't look into enough before my purchase, is a bluetooth OBD II wireless reader that broadcasts to your Android phone and with the help the Torque App shows way more gauges, stores and logs data and is completely customizable with different "skins" and colors to choose from. The Elm bluetooth reader is about $25- $30 and the App is less than $5.

I'm intending on getting a Samsung prepaid Android phone for $100 along with the Elm reader and Torque App. I don't even have to activate the phone if I don't want. I can use Wi-Fi (for Apps and updates), Bluetooth, and the camera and apps without activating it.

So if you already have an Android phone (running at least honeycomb or better, for Torque App updates) you can get a code reader and very functional and customizable gauge for less than $40.

torque will stop working once it doesnt detect a wifi or data connection i did the same thing your planning to do and it only worked for a few minutes and as soon as it didnt detect any connection it stopped, i believe it has something to do with the license verification

torque will stop working once it doesnt detect a wifi or data connection i did the same thing your planning to do and it only worked for a few minutes and as soon as it didnt detect any connection it stopped, i believe it has something to do with the license verification

OK,... i've got some more things to look into. Was yours a prepaid phone? The guy at the cell phone store said that it would work without even activating the phone.

Do you think the problem is with your phone, Torque app or bluetooth device. I did read that there are knock off ELM 327 devices that are complete crap. I'm thinking maybe your Bluetooth OBD II device may have crapped out and stopped sending data.

Last edited:
I am doing this as well (soon). Look at DashCommand (Palmer Engineering) as an app. The Pioneer AppRadio2 (7" touchscreen/double DIN) 'operates' the Iphone or Andriod via the touchscreen.... ;) It displays all ECU data as dash gauge 'skin' too. It will also read and display wideband and other external sensors (mj)

So you get all the funcitonality of the phone (Pandora, etc) and as phones upgrade - new functionality, eh?

Last edited:
The problem is not with my phone or bt reader once the app runs a license verfication command and since the phone your using isn't connected to a signal it will stop working it will also run the verfication command randomly while running the app

So the App is looking for a cell phone signal not just the bluetooth signal from bt reader??
If so I'll try to get in touch with the "torque" people and see what they say.
Is there any other options to the torque app that are worth considering ??

not really a cell phone signal but a signal whether data or wifi, i first ran my tablet without any signal at all but it would eventually stop working because i was no longer in the area of my wifi, but you know what go ahead and contact the people at torque for all i know it might've just been the fact that i have the app on multiple devices (dell streak 7, HTC G1, 2 Samsung Galaxy III's) and it was just making sure it had the proper license and i wasnt just sharing the app.

^OK,... that's making sense. I'm figuring you only need bt on the cellphone or tablet to communicate with the bt reader, but like you said, the App may need wifi or cell access to check up on itself.
I'll be sure to check with the torque people before buying a phone.

Back