What size/type of wrench for oil drain plug?

:
23 CX-5 Premium
Need to change my CX-5's oil for the first time this weekend. What wrench will I need?

8mm hex. Do not get just the bit, get the hex socket like this one:

opplanet-ors-nasco-1-2in-drive-8mm-hex-bit-socket-875-42-08mm-unit-pk.jpg

Last edited:
Mine came off with a regular old right angled Allen wrench. But a valve would be a nice addition while your down there.

Interesting. All my previous cars are either 14mm or 16mm, etc bolts. Never changed oil for a car that uses HEX BIT. Seems kinda weak using hex instead of the regular socket size. I have drained differentials that uses hex but not oil drain bolts.

I have the above socket and it fits the female hex just fine BUT with the wrench on it hits the filter -- this is not a problem taking off the drain bolt but tightening it up a socket wrench + the hex attachment does not fit. Therefore, I have to use a regular hex wrench as a result.

I have the above socket and it fits the female hex just fine BUT with the wrench on it hits the filter -- this is not a problem taking off the drain bolt but tightening it up a socket wrench + the hex attachment does not fit. Therefore, I have to use a regular hex wrench as a result.

Why not remove oil filiter first then drain plug. Then put in drain plug before oil filter and add oil.

As a point of possible interest, when I changed my oil and filter this afternoon, I was very careful to note exactly how much it too to get to the full line on the dipstick. Let it sit between "dip sticking" over several hours on a level floor and it took right around 4.8 qts, rather than the recommended 4.4. And this is a 2 litre.

While you're at it, get a whole set (~4mm-~19mm). Allen head fasteners have been the standard on high tech applications for decades (racing, robotics, scientific instruments, etc.). In the last few years they have finally been filtering into more and more mainstream applications and have many benefits. There is rarely a reason to use the old hex head anymore except the fasteners are marginally cheaper to produce.

Cause that's not how I do it and I'm stubborn as hell.

Hehe - that's a good point...I'll try that

Unfortunately that doesn't work on mine (CX-5 2013 Skyactive). The oil filter is installed above the drain pan. So removing the oil filter only removes the oil left in the filter and just a little more than that.

Unfortunately that doesn't work on mine (CX-5 2013 Skyactive). The oil filter is installed above the drain pan. So removing the oil filter only removes the oil left in the filter and just a little more than that.

The post you are referring to just said remove the filter FIRST and THEN remove the drain plug. The purpose of doing it in that order was to allow clearance for a socket wrench to be used on the drain plug without the oil filter getting in the way.

I see you are new; the last activity here was in april 2013.. lol

Back