Help! Need Roof Rack for Triathlon Bike! Yakima Rack doesn't allow trunk to open!

char3130

:
2014 CX5
Hi all,
My husband just excitedly purchased a 2014 Grand Touring CX5 a few weeks ago, and after much research, he ordered and had installed the Yakima fork lift bike rack ( I guess he needs a fork mounted bike rack because of the dimensions of the fork of his tri bike?) . We also have factory installed cross bars from Mazda.

We had it installed and yesterday when he went to open the trunk, we realized the rack extends well past the roof and the trunk would smack right into it when opened.

I am desperate to find a solution that will still allow us to use a roof mounted bike rack - we really don't want to use a hitch, since I have to parallel park on our street every day (for starters).

Any help would be SO appreciated! What can we do now?
I was going to go back to the installer and yell at them for installing the yakima rack wrong, but I guess this is not surprising?

Help!

Any chance the rack can be unbolt from the cross bars and shifted forward enough to work for you. I'm not familiar with the Mazda cross bars can they also be loosened and shifted forward.

Personally I'd take to your installer and ask them to look at it, not a professional installation as they should have checked. That's a basic step with any rack (ie do all windows /doors and lift gates work unimpeded) Good luck.

Don't use the roof mount racks. I highly suggest buying a hitch and mounting the bikes on the rear. Its safer in terms of not having to worry about scratchign up your roof and also reduces drag/improves MPG.

Look up "Curt" trailer hitches. Hopefully you can either sell or return the roof racks.

1. Make sure the front crossbar is as far forward as possible. I'm guessing you've already done this.
2. You can mount the bike tray backwards. It'll look odd but doesn't affect the security at all and you'll get the needed clearance.
3. Tri-bikes have a short wheelbase. If you only need a couple of inches, you could cut the wheeltray down. The trick will be drilling new holes for the endcap to fit back on. *This will void your Yakima warranty though.*
4. Ignore the roof racks suck responses. Everyone has different needs and preferences and each system has it's pluses and minuses. l sell and use both methods.

Question: Was the installer the same shop the bike mount was ordered from? If not, why did you pay for an install? These go on/off very easy, remove the bike skewer, loosen 2 knobs.

I'll have to concur with rjdee. He hit the issue right on the head.

I'm also a big fan of putting gear on the roof rack, as I've done with my protege5 through out my ownership.

I had the same problem with my protege5, where the tray was too long and would not allow the hatch to open up all the way. The factory roof rack was adjusted as far forward as possible too. The easiest solution would be to mount the rack backwards. There's no downside other than looking funny.

I've got a Yakima roof system mounted to my roof. I've always prefered carrying my bikes on the roof and not a hitch. You can use the control towers (I think #11). The key is to expose the mounting points. You'll need to take off the plastic trim that runs from the windshield to the back of the car. If someone can tell me how to post a photo off of my computer in this forum I'd show you what mine looks like. It's pretty easy...you'll need a hacksaw or a drill, though.

I am going to have to guess the problem here is with using the factory installed cross-bars. Like others have said, make sure they are as far forward as possible. I have the factory installed side railings with a thule system but have been able to use both the Thule Echelon and Yakima forklift with no clearance problems when opening the trunk.

Ditch the cross-bars?

Back