2012 Mazda5 Sport - upgrading to better OEM head unit

:
2012 Mazda5 Sport 6MT
Greetings all,
I'd like to replace my stock head unit with one from a GT, and have a few questions:

1) Can I expect this to be a plug-and-play situation? I am assuming that in order to keep assembly of the vehicle simple, the wiring harness and connectors would be the same between all trim levels, making this a simple swap.

2) Will Bluetooth audio work? I'd like the stereo to control an iPhone 5 for audio playback.

3) How about Bluetooth hands free? I would assume that all I would need would be the switch assembly for the steering wheel, once again assuming that the wiring (including microphone) is already in place.

Even if the only addition from this swap, assuming that the price of the head unit is acceptable, would be the addition of the CD changer I'd be happy, but I'd like some of the other features if possible.

Thanks!

I have a 2012 Mazda5 Sport and was recently in the dash installing a Parrot CK3100 bluetooth kit to the existing base model stereo.

I know for a fact that the microphone for the OEM Bluetooth is NOT installed in the cathedral peak above the gauges. The slot is there, but there was no mic or mic harness in there.

What this means to me is that some of the additional equipment is not installed. Arguably, the harnesses are generally the same across the trim models. But when it comes to deleted options, it doesn't take much at the factory for a shop order to NOT install something. Copper is pricey these days - they won't use it if they can avoid it.

I know for a fact that the microphone for the OEM Bluetooth is NOT installed in the cathedral peak above the gauges. The slot is there, but there was no mic or mic harness in there.

Damn - I thought this might be the case. But is there a socket on the harness where the microphone could be plugged in? This would simplify things, then just requiring the addition of the buttons on the steering wheel; that one looks relatively straightforward, once again assuming that the socket on the harness for the switch is present and connected.

Honestly, you don't want to use that stock location for a mic anyways, the acoustics are terrible. I have an aftermarket Kenwood DNX570HD and the best place for the mic after several tries is on the top of the driver's side A-pillar. I put it inside the dash in the factory spot, on top of the steering column and finally on the A pillar and it has the best sound there.

That dash position is not so good.....I placed the Parrot CK3100 mic to the edge of the headliner above the rearview mirror.

I did not see any other harness in there for the mic to tie to - but I also wasn't looking for it since I don't know what the factory BT mic plug looks like.

I did not see any other harness in there for the mic to tie to - but I also wasn't looking for it since I don't know what the factory BT mic plug looks like.

Examining a parts diagram for the car, it looks like the mic is just a small module that plugs into the top of the instrument cluster. If I can figure out how to take the cover off of the instruments without breaking anything I might just take a look to see what kind of connector is there. I'd rather have the mic up by the mirror or near the A-pillar, so if it's just a matter of plugging something into the existing port I'll go ahead with that. Now I need to figure how how to install the switches on the steering wheel. If I could figure out how to get the plastic off from around the back of the steering wheel I'll start looking for a place where that module plugs in.

The problem you'll have using the factory mic location is that the factory mic seals to the underside of the cover, so sound only comes in from the two slits on the top. If you put an aftermarket mic inside there, sound from all around under the dash makes it to the mic, making it sound muffled, and you end up with a lot of road noise and also loud blinker relay sounds. If you built some sort of small box and put the mic in it so it only gets sound from the two slits on top it would probably work better. Honestly though, the best quality sound is going to be at the top of the A-pillar or near the rearview mirror.

If you do take off the A-pillar be careful as the first clip breaks easily and is about a $12 replacement :)

What I need to get my hands on is the GT steering wheel, so I can have those Bluetooth buttons!

Honestly though, the best quality sound is going to be at the top of the A-pillar or near the rearview mirror.

I think the plan will be to use an external mic, probably up by the A-pillar, but plugged into the factory connector in the instrument cluster. That is, if I can figure out how to operate the Bluetooth handsfree function to work without the steering wheel buttons, if that's even possible. If I can find the appropriate steering wheel that will be ideal (or at least the BT switch assembly), but I doubt if it will be cheap.

Just my opinion, if I were in your shoes, I'd go 100% aftermarket and install a unit that has all those features built in, including Bluetooth, iPhone control, etc. That's too much taking things apart and McGuyvering for my taste. Those dash plastics are a pain in the ass and too much force can ruin your day (or my day, as has happened to me). Plus, you can get a unit with a USB port so that's also a plus. Side note: When I bought my 2012 Touring I ASSumed that my unit was Sirius Satellite capable, because it had the button, but now I know the button is for show because when I press it, it does nothing. Good thing I don't like sat radio anyway, I just thought it was kinda dumb to keep the button labeled with no real function. Maybe it's just a small sat radio box that gets connected to the head unit in the back and then it will work?

Just my opinion, if I were in your shoes, I'd go 100% aftermarket and install a unit that has all those features built in, including Bluetooth, iPhone control, etc. That's too much taking things apart and McGuyvering for my taste. Those dash plastics are a pain in the ass and too much force can ruin your day (or my day, as has happened to me). Plus, you can get a unit with a USB port so that's also a plus. Side note: When I bought my 2012 Touring I ASSumed that my unit was Sirius Satellite capable, because it had the button, but now I know the button is for show because when I press it, it does nothing. Good thing I don't like sat radio anyway, I just thought it was kinda dumb to keep the button labeled with no real function. Maybe it's just a small sat radio box that gets connected to the head unit in the back and then it will work?

I've considered the option of an aftermarket head unit, but that would probably set me back at least $400 plus all of the adapters and harnesses. I'm spending $10 for this unit out of a GT, and if it isn't an easy install I won't be out all that much. I don't like talking on the phone whilst driving, so if Bluetooth handsfree isn't easy to get working it's no big loss. I probably won't be getting the Sirius module and wiring that was installed in the donor vehicle (they weren't listed in the ad, and I doubt that the installer removed them), and that too is no big loss as I already have a Sirius radio that I move back and forth between the house and the car, flexibility I would lose with the factory setup. I don't know if the BT handsfree function will even work without the steering wheel buttons, and thus installing a mic into the factory connector may also be a non-issue. As long as I get the six-disc changer and BT audio functions working the stereo will be worth at least double, maybe even triple, what I paid for it. (On a side note, when I added a cassette stereo in place of the factory AM/FM unit on my old Ford Windscar, the cynics figured that I doubled the value of the car, from nothing all the way up to next to nothing...)

Hopefully I should receive the unit by the end of the week, and I plan on dedicating the better part of next Saturday carefully disassembling the dash and doing the install. It looks like a real PITA to get to, but hopefully good documentation and lots of patience will pay off. I'll report back with a status update when the job is complete (or abandoned, whichever comes first).

Dash is a bit of a circus the first time you tear into it.

Now that I've been in there twice, I have a better sense of what is going on.....although it is more complicated that my older Subaru and 1990s Japanese cars. It is not harder than a Mini dash though!

Here is a link to instructions for getting into the dash:
http://www.carid.com/images/metra/stereo-dash-kit/pdf/metra-95-7521b-installation-instructions.pdf

Also useful:
http://www.justanswer.com/mazda/5310s-mazda-sport-remove-radio-2012-mazda.html
The doozy for me was pulling up on the top dash bezel over the speedometer.....that was a leap of faith, but it does pop off by hand.

Also, buy yourself some nylon/plastic dash removal tools. You can get them online or harbor freight has a set for $7.

Back