Ongoing check engine light issues...any help would be greatly appreciated

loewenloewen

:
2002 Protege5
Hey guys,

I've got an automatic '02 Protege5 (135K miles) and I'll admit up front that I don't know too much about cars beyond the basic "this part does this" level. About a month ago, I started the car and the engine began shaking terribly and the CEL was flashing. I turned the car off, tried again, and it ran fine but with the CEL steadily on. Over the next two days until I could get it in to the shop, it ran OK with the CEL on, except for one more time where I turned it on and got the vibrating/blinking CEL.

I searched around and read a lot on this forum, figured it sounded as though I might have a clogged EGR valve, and took it to Pep Boys to have them replace the EGR valve. They did, and the car sounds much better nowthe idle is so much smoother and the car seems to run better. However, a few days ago, the CEL came on steadily, although the car continued to run fine. Tonight on the way home, the CEL started blinking (which I know means I should stop driving, but I was almost home and it's 1 a.m., so I crossed my fingers and kept going until I got home) but the car seems to be running OK, though the acceleration when it upshifts might be a touch less smooth than usual.

Anyway, any thoughts anyone has would be super appreciated. Over the past few years, I've replaced the catalytic converter and vertical control arm bushings (to pass inspection), the alternator and power steering belts (which were fraying and squealing), and the spark plugs/air filter/EGR valve, which would be candidates to have caused a misfire. Obviously it's very frustrating to keep spending money on the car without knowing precisely what's going on with it.

try and get the cel read from someone with a scanner. Also, it sounds like you should try replacing coil packs, wires, and plugs might need to be gapped right.

I have searched but cant find directions for the non-fouler trick for o2 sensor. Can someone please provide link or directions.
Thanks

A flashing CEL means: the flashing CEL is telling the driver that un-burned fuel is getting into the Catalyst & potentially causing damage. That's what it means.
Generally, (actually almost always) an engine misfire is the reason. This Is usually caused by failing Ignition Parts. For example: Ignition Coil Packs, Ignition Wires & Ignition Spark Plugs. (It could also be fuel related, i.e; Injectors)
Once you have the OBD II system scanned you will have a much better idea of which cylinder is misfiring. Only then will you be able to proceed with the repair. otherwise you'll just be guessing by throwing parts at it.

^+1

The Non-Fouler tip is very likely NOT going to help your problem.
A bad HO2S will not cause a misfire in this vehicle.

Last edited:
My car is running fine but I've got new coils to put on as soon as the weather is nicer. I'm not waiting for a problem or that dreaded P0300 code to do it,... I'm looking at it a scheduled maintenance.

There is a lot of things listed to check as a possible cause for engine miss-fire:

ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTIC [ENGINE CONTROL SYSTEM (FS)]
01–02B–72
Diagnostic procedure
DTC P0300 Random misfire detection
POSSIBLE CAUSE

• CKP sensor malfunction
• CMP sensor malfunction
• Ignition coil malfunction
• High-tension lead malfunction
• MAF sensor contamination
• Excess air suction in intake-air system (between MAF sensor and dynamic chamber)
• Fuel pump malfunction
• Fuel pressure regulator malfunction
• Fuel line clogged
• Fuel filter clogged
• Fuel leakage in fuel line
• Purge control solenoid valve malfunction
• PCV valve malfunction
• EGR valve malfunction
• Vacuum hoses damages or improper connection
• Related connector and terminal malfunction
• Related wiring harness malfunction
• Poor fuel quality

DTC P0301
DTC P0302
DTC P0303
DTC P0304
Cylinder No.1 misfire detected
Cylinder No.2 misfire detected
Cylinder No.3 misfire detected
Cylinder No.4 misfire detected
POSSIBLE CAUSE

• Spark plug malfunction
• High-tension lead malfunction
• Fuel injector malfunction
• Air suction in intake-air system (between dynamic chamber and cylinder head)
• Inadequate engine compression due to engine internal malfunction
• Related connector or terminal malfunction
• Related wiring harness malfunction

Last edited:
A flashing CEL means: the flashing CEL is telling the driver that un-burned fuel is getting into the Catalyst & potentially causing damage. That's what it means.

Not necessarily (although probably).

A clogged fuel injector will not deliver any fuel to its cylinder but will produce a misfire. A misfire (P0300-P0304) only means the cylinder did not fire (produce power) it can do that with or without fuel in the cylinder,... Although the misfire almost always dumps fuel on our pre-cat which is really bad (hence the only code that causes our CEL to flash).

i had a blinking CEL not to long ago turned out the teeth from my aftermarket crank pulley came loose

i had a blinking CEL not to long ago turned out the teeth from my aftermarket crank pulley came loose

OK,.. that would have dumped fuel on your pre-cat. Even a partly clogged injector still delivers fuel to the cylinder, so does a big drop in fuel pressure, so a miss fire almost always dumps fuel on the pre-cat.

OK,.. that would have dumped fuel on your pre-cat. Even a partly clogged injector still delivers fuel to the cylinder, so does a big drop in fuel pressure, so a miss fire almost always dumps fuel on the pre-cat.

i dont have a pre cat (eek2)

Back