Direct Drop in engine choices?

whatusername

:
02 protege5
Hi all im about to go to the junk yard tomorrow and get another engine for my p5 cuz mine just siezed up. The fs 2.0 engine u can find them sometimes but its hit or miss so i was wondering what other engines i can just drop in with no modifications needed and that will be plug n play? and please if u could besides just saying an fs or ze engine be a lil more spefic (i.E. Fs engine 01-03 protege 5 or lx 2.0 ect ect ect.) cuz i am still a mazda noob.
thankss all remember i am going tomorrow morning to get this engine so any post after that would be useless to me although my benefit others.

FP theres KL as well but thats not really simple.
what is fp and kl? never mind i see FP is 1.8 and Kl is 2.5 v6 from what i read on wiki the FP1.8 has a much better power band than the fs but is less hp and they share the same tranny so how come this isnt a direct drop? and i doubt an 8hp loss would be noticeable especially with a much better power band.. And has anyone ever tried the kia sephia 98-02 engine? they look incredibly similar to the 2.0 fs so i wonder if they would works since the 94-97 kia sephia used the mazda b series engines

Last edited:
oh ok the only p5 ive seen so far in the junk yard is at upull & pay but its pretty much stripped down to the bone now.. it only has 3 doors plus hatch left and stock ecu interior is gone roof racks were there but somebody took them interior was leather but is gone i saw the pic of urs n honestly cant think of anything u could use off it but if i see another i will def let u know.. after i get what i need of course lol (cabpatch)

Applications:

1993–2002 Mazda 626
1993–1997 Mazda MX-6
1999–2001 Mazda MPV (Japan)
1999–2003 Mazda Capella
2001–2003 Mazda Protg
1993–1997 Ford Probe
1999-2006 Kia Carens
are all these fs engines direct drop ins?

Applications:

1993–2002 Mazda 626
1993–1997 Mazda MX-6

1999–2001 Mazda MPV (Japan)
1999–2003 Mazda Capella
2001–2003 Mazda Protg
1993–1997 Ford Probe

1999-2006 Kia Carens
are all these fs engines direct drop ins?

I know those. the others I have no idea, and I think some of those including certain probes were a v6 which takes a lot of modification to get in. any of the i4's you can find from those though, you can pull go home tune it up and get it running in your car no problem.

I know those. the others I have no idea, and I think some of those including certain probes were a v6 which takes a lot of modification to get in. any of the i4's you can find from those though, you can pull go home tune it up and get it running in your car no problem.

Seconded.

Probes also used the fsde before getting the v6

The only issue is that if it uses a distributor you will have to plug the hole for that and you will need to swap out crank and cam angle sensors.

Probes also used the fsde before getting the v6

The only issue is that if it uses a distributor you will have to plug the hole for that and you will need to swap out crank and cam angle sensors.

yep, and not just the sensors...you need the protege's crank pulley (which has 'teeth'), and cam gears...

well picked up a 2.0 from a really clean looking 01 protege at the bone yard for $230 out the door i had to pull it myself but that wasnt a problem.. i get home to find out after examining it better the head was no good u can see it had a broken valve (which is y it was at the junk yard anyways cuz the car was super clean) i took it apart swapped heads with my head installed it put in new clutch and last night buttoned it up n fired her up. its alive again thank god and after 1 day of use so far so good.I hope this one lasts me. When i returned the core engine today i told them what happened with the head and including core i was given back $120. making the block $110 (yippy)(cheers)(dance)(humpleg) That made me very happy.

Back