Do I have the first MS3 to go 200,000 miles?

VAspeed3

:
2007 MS3 purchased new October 2006
Wondering if anyone knows of another MS3 to go this far. 2007 Cosmic Blue. Car has never failed me. Replaced timing chain around 170K and the usual wear parts, but clutch and turbo seem fine. Been tracked several times at VIR.

Attachments

• 200000 mile MS3 March 27 2013.jpg
    200000 mile MS3 March 27 2013.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 443
must be stock or damn close to it

Except for Koni Sport adjustable shocks it is stock. Never thought I wanted more power, but the better chassis control is much appreciated by me, but not so much by the wife due to the stiff ride.

Have you ever cleaned your intake valves?

No. With direct fuel injection, i had no idea it would ever be needed since no fuel ever contacts the valve seals. What would be the symptoms if that were needed?

The biggest problem is the pcv system and egr. Both recirculate exhaust gas or crankase blowby back into the intake system

This is what cruds up the valves, hence the commercials for gasoline that cleans intake valves

Since we do not have the ability to "wash" the valves. It cakes on layer over layer. Google direct injection intake valves and check out the photos. I've done mine twice in 50k

Symptoms are basically nothing more than reduced power due to airflow restriction. However in your case with so many miles I would be worried about flow imbalance as they are probably almost clogged lol

I used a walnut media blaster to clean mine. Half hour to remove the intake manifold, an hour cleaning and then a half hour to put it back together

How about the sparkplugs? Done a compression test recently? Just really curious

Last edited:
The biggest problem is the pcv system and egr. Both recirculate exhaust gas or crankase blowby back into the intake system

This is what cruds up the valves, hence the commercials for gasoline that cleans intake valves

Since we do not have the ability to "wash" the valves. It cakes on layer over layer. Google direct injection intake valves and check out the photos. I've done mine twice in 50k

Symptoms are basically nothing more than reduced power due to airflow restriction. However in your case with so many miles I would be worried about flow imbalance as they are probably almost clogged lol

I used a walnut media blaster to clean mine. Half hour to remove the intake manifold, an hour cleaning and then a half hour to put it back together

How about the sparkplugs? Done a compression test recently? Just really curious

I have done none oc the above although it does throw a code for the egr sometimes. Have not gotten around to the proces of addressing it -
Even though I'm fairly handy with tools, I really dont like working on the engine or its peripherals.
Power seems normal - though the butt dyno is all that reliable, it still spins the drive wheels in 2nd and 3rd in the same places it always has.

I can almost guarantee you need to clean the valves now. That involves taking off the intake manifold, and I'd use a brass rifle brush and carb cleaner, and vacuum it out with a shop vac.

EGR is more the enemy of clean valves than the friend of the environment. IF you get the inkling to buy an accessport, make EGR delete your first mod after.

I just rolled over 44,000 in my 07. I feel like an old grandpa after this and I'm 23. BTW hello everyone I just joined and this site seems a little more relaxed and more informative than all the others. Congrats on breaking 200,000 miles VAspeed3.(omg)

Grats on 200k.

I have to drive 158k miles to catch up. Who am I kidding? I'll probably keep the car for 10 years and sell it with 120k on the clock ><

I think by about August 1, 2016, I'll have 300,000 miles on the 07 MS3. Looking at 297,000 right now. Probably should address the EGR code that's been there for 150,000 miles, but I haven't even thought of cleaning the intake valves. Maybe my driving habits blow the carbon out?

Back