Having significant trouble finding correct coolant reservoir for 2002 Protege5...

mustangls1

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5 2.0L
I have a 2002 Mazda Protege5 built on 04/01? Which I'm guessing is April Fools Day...well, they've made a fool out of me, because I cannot find an OEM or a reproduction OEM Spec coolant reservoir that fits my car. My vehicle uses a type of slide in metal bracket to hold it in place(the reservoir slides over the bracket, the bracket in no way slides over and locks into the reservoir via a tab on the reservoir) I can take pictures of the original one on the car, but it is falling apart. So, I need to replace it pretty fast.

Any help is appreciated!

What about one of these,... they look pretty cool too.

Overflow2_zpsfe5d6413.jpg

Or this,.. you should throw in one of those engines to go along with it.

overfloww_zpsa427a94d.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I'm not interested in universal, nor do I need an aftermarket overflow tank, OEM is preferred in my case. I have a 2002 P5 2.0L Auto, I'm not sure if you need any other specific info, but it's got a funky overflow tank in it that I can't seem to find anywhere.

I'm thinking about fabricating a bracket for the one rock auto sent me, that way it can just be over and done with and I won't have to mess with that anymore.

My car is the same O2 P5 but built in Sept. 01 and I'm pretty sure I've got a different tank. It's kinda weird how they'd change that part mid-run, maybe they had some old ones left to use up.
Making a new bracket is probably your best bet,... Time to get out your coat hangers and duct tape.
Perhaps you could get a bracket off a junker,... That might save you the fabrication work.
One guy made an over-flow tank out of a Monster Energy drink can,... it was pretty cool but I couldn't find the picture.

Actually thinking about the over-flow tank a bit more, it really looks like it was just thrown in there like some kinda after-thought. It's got bolt holes on the side that aren't used and it's just sitting there in space perched on top of a flimsy bracket,... like they forgot to bolt it down somewhere. Kinda like it's made for a different car and they just made it work for ours.

Last edited:
My guess it that rockauto sent you the wrong part. The pics you posted look exactly the same as the resevoir on my 03.5 MSP and both of the 02 P5's that my wife has owned.

I just carried my computer with your pictures to my car to compare. The only real difference I could find is in the lid. Mine has a slightly shorter over-flow nozzle coming out of the top and it isn't at an angle like the pics you posted. It has a short right angled black piece of hose connected to it that clips to the side of the reservoir. My cap Isn't "tethered" either and doesn't have the attachment nib on the bottle or the flange with the hole in it on the cap itself.

The bracket and the reservoir seem very close though as if you could interchange the two and they would just fit right on the bracket.

You may be able to work the bracket you do have to make the reservoir fit.
Does your rock-auto one look completely different than the original??

I just checked the pic from rock-auto and it looks Exactly like mine, rubber hose with no tether.

Last edited:
I'm researching for a replacement coolant reservoir tank too. damn cheap plastic is way too brittle and cracked on me before so I duct taped it, now I went to change the coolant 3 years later and almost completed broke on my hands.

looks like Rockauto is the best bet. they have more than 1 model # to choose from

I like ur new engine solution with the turbo pcb

Was just showing part for reference but agree it can be had for less than $50.............

Back