Vivid pro5 n/a build

204vividPro5

:
2002 Mazda pro5
Hey I was just wanting to start this build thread to help keep track of my progress. Anyone that wants to follow along please do!

I bought my protege5 last year in September for 3200$ safetied. It had the 2.0 with 180k. It came with the body kit when I first bought it but I wasn't a big fan of the wings west front bumper I didn't really care for the ed rear bumper but if it ever gets destroyed I'd go with a oem. It had recent paint a year ago but it's started rusting over the rear wheel wells (Yay! I know very common) I really enjoy this car but since it was a local car I wanted to make it my own and dig into it when I parked it over the winter. Couple months has passed I've been selling and buying parts. I'll let the pics do most of the explaining.

When I first bought it, I don't know what the previous owner was thinking with the purple accents....
IMG_2165_zps14cf9adb.jpg

IMG_20130322_120415_zps8be48e35.jpg

First mod was resonator and cat removal and a cheap cold air

IMG_2215_zps7d9030a1.jpg

IMG_2265_zps89c91a51.jpg

It had real nasty jdm chrome smoked tails that were filled with water I found a guy that traded me for some oem that I ended up tinting.

IMG_2743_zpsad774a3d.jpg

IMG_2753_zps713c9a81.jpg

A friend lent me a set of 18s I ran for a couple weeks until I could find myself a set. I found some core racing drift rims with clear coat peeling so I sand blasted them and repainted gloss black with a gold flake in the clear, they look sick when the sun beats on them! Just picked up a cheap set of tires to get me through the season.

IMG_2343_zps5931f294.jpg

IMG_2304_zpsaac6dbab.jpg

IMG_2342_zps38b52eb6.jpg

IMG_2344_zps949d6387.jpg

I couldn't stand the purple so I bought some carbon fiber wrap and wrapped all the purple accents. It was alright for a but knew it wasn't going to last long at all! lol

I found a guy 2 hours away who ended up trading the wings west front bumper for a new B2 ed front bumper couldn't pass the deal up! Drove home 2 hours bumper less and got it put on the next day

IMG_2835_zps5eab6ca2.jpg

IMG_2906_zps7373472f.jpg

Then the car hit storage first snow fall after a great fall of crusing and local car shows

20130113_155642_zps775af493.jpg

A few pics before I parked the pro5 for the winter

PhotoGrid_1359130837395_zps3b98fcaf.jpg

I'll post all recent updates later

Hope you all enjoy, this has been a very fun! I have no complaints!

Last edited:

In the fall I was running stock suspension. Over the past couple months I brought my car out of storage to my garage and had started tearing into the car. I ordered and installed new 2 inch drop springs, replaced the cheap ebay intake for the Injen cold air, picked up a corksport axle back, corksport exhaust & intake cams, sold my evo style CF hood and replaced with a Jsp oem cf hood, red top battery with custom built aluminum battery tray, clarion Double din, mp3 ecu, vtcs & vics delete, almost done my mild engine bay tuck, ractive racing seats, awr mounts, phantom auto meter gauges (narrow afr, oil pressure, volt) the list goes on most of it is already installed just waiting for a couple tires to show up in the mail. Also collecting everything for the the 1.8 coil and wire swap I have a 626 vc as well

IMG_20130303_011950_zps60be3d59.jpg

Before(intake was first think I installed) and after pic currently (currently sitting, missing a few things I have to install yet)

IMG_20130323_111710_zps45027050.jpg

Last edited:
That rear bumper has got to GTFO. IMO ... other than that the car looks good. Love the yellow with the smoked tails!

Hey more progress

The rear bumper isn't the greatest aftermarket choice. If it ever breaks or gets destroyed I'll be replacing it with the oem one.

The coolant reservoir is relocated with self taps and the factory bracket flipped around. I'm not a big fan of how un clean it looks trying to find a decently cheap replacement.

I've been working after hours on my new battery tray, I still need to perfect it before installing. The corksport axle back exhaust I bought was ment for a sedan so I had to cut out 3 inches of pipe to move the muffler in. Ordered my double din dash kit and harness to get my clarion double din installed today, here is a few recent pics of progress and parts!

Custom battery tray in the works

20130327_213904_zps50dd4ee4.jpg

20130328_183359_zps306938a1.jpg

Corksport exhaust and intake cams

20130328_183215_zpsf3f9a184.jpg

Corksport sedan exhaust before cutting I had to test fit

20130325_192409_zpsa603b6ca.jpg

Cut out 3 inches looks much better just gotta hang it a bit better

20130328_183153_zps6f301969.jpg

One seat installed just have a few bugs to work out and on to the next one

20130325_220616_zps4585c73e.jpg

Leds installer in the cluster

20130317_134805_zpsa65a8046.jpg

More pics and progress to come!

Last edited:
Question

With longer rear sway bar links, does that stop the car from dropping to its lowest potential with the lowering springs?

With my custom made battery tray should I cut some vent holes on the bottom of it or will it be fine

Last edited:
With longer rear sway bar links, does that stop the car from dropping to its lowest potential with the lowering springs?

With my custom made battery tray should I cut some vent holes on the bottom of it or will it be fine

Longer sway bar end links are just meant to keep the sway bar parallel to the ground after lowering the car (lower body means more distance between the bar and the struts).

Longer sway bar end links are just meant to keep the sway bar parallel to the ground after lowering the car (lower body means more distance between the bar and the struts).

Kinda figured that, I'll see how the springs settle after I get some miles on it

I will have to look

I'll have to check It out when I get the car back on the ground.

Few more questions, what kinda injectors are considered upgrades for the fs de motor that work with no problems.

Also I picked you new to me sedan headlights that I want to swap out because my p5 headlight lenses are so badly yellowed and heat cracked. The lights I picked up have great condition lenses so I considered putting them in the oven and swapping the lenses and blacking out all the chrome inside shrouds. Input?? Or feedback lol

Horn

What color or what harness is the horn signal wire? I am installing a new steering wheel and I need to get the horn hooked back up for safety reasons

Question

I got the mp3 ecu installed, vtcs removed, intake ported, new intake gaskets and throttle body gasket... It runs okay but wants to stall out after driving it around

give it a couple hundred miles for the ecu to relearn the car. if you still have trouble after that you may want to check for vacuum leaks and re-torque the bolts on the intake manifold

give it a couple hundred miles for the ecu to relearn the car. if you still have trouble after that you may want to check for vacuum leaks and re-torque the bolts on the intake manifold

Alright ill re-torque the bolts, I still gotta put some kms on it to relearn... I sprayed carb cleaner all over the vac ports and intake and couldn't find nothing. Forgot to mention I'm running 94 octane.

Alright ill re-torque the bolts, I still gotta put some kms on it to relearn... I sprayed carb cleaner all over the vac ports and intake and couldn't find nothing. Forgot to mention I'm running 94 octane.

Might be silly, but did you reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery ? This resets the ECU

Might be silly, but did you reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery ? This resets the ECU

Ya I'm pretty sure I reset the ecu, disconnect the battery and bump the brake? I put a code reader on my car today and I have a p1250 and p0108..... Realized after putting the car back together I forgot to plug back in the map sensor and prc lol my bad seems to be running better but still have to put some kms on it

Back