Vibration at cold start up

Misomeru

:
CX 5 GX
New to this forum. Bought the CX 5 last November and I am generally happy with the vehicle. I know the car idles high for about 30 secs with initial startup, but mine does something a little more when I back out of my driveway. I put it in reverse, back up out of the garage, apply brake, and that is when the vehicle shudders loudly. I then put it in drive, then back to reverse, and the shuddering is gone. The car drives normally for the rest of the day. I took it to the dealer and they were able to reproduce it at cold startup, but they say they were able to do the same on 3 more CX 5's on the lot. The tech says since it is common, that all they can do is send a technical report to mazda, and that there is no current fix. Anyone else have this vibration in reverse gear with brakes applied at cold startup?
Just to add, when I picked up my car, the service manager took me in a demo and reproduced the sound. He drove in reverse at high speed, then slammed on the brakes. Low and behold, the loud shuddering. He says because there is high torque it may be causing the vibration, but he will contact mazda with my concerns.

Last edited:
Why would anyone drive at high speeds in reverse and then slam on the brakes in regular normal use. Sounds abusive to the car.

The manager was just trying to reproduce the sound to see if it is the same as what I have at cold startup. At cold startup the car is revving at higher rpms. Anyways, found someone else on this forum with the same issue. Their diagnosis is a misaligned engine mount which causes the engine vibration to travel through the whole body of the vehicle. Hope to hear from Mazda soon, but glad it isn't a serious issue.

I can get a "engine on metal" vibration in R with brake applied at about 1500 rpm or backing up my steep drive with a cold engine. I took it to the local dealer and was unable to replicate with a warm engine. I think the right engine mount touches under high reverse torque when cold but warms up and expands and no longer touches. I rarely back up my drive and I decided it does not hurt anything so I am going to leave it be.

New to this forum. Bought the CX 5 last November and I am generally happy with the vehicle. I know the car idles high for about 30 secs with initial startup, but mine does something a little more when I back out of my driveway. I put it in reverse, back up out of the garage, apply brake, and that is when the vehicle shudders loudly. I then put it in drive, then back to reverse, and the shuddering is gone. The car drives normally for the rest of the day. I took it to the dealer and they were able to reproduce it at cold startup, but they say they were able to do the same on 3 more CX 5's on the lot. The tech says since it is common, that all they can do is send a technical report to mazda, and that there is no current fix. Anyone else have this vibration in reverse gear with brakes applied at cold startup?
Just to add, when I picked up my car, the service manager took me in a demo and reproduced the sound. He drove in reverse at high speed, then slammed on the brakes. Low and behold, the loud shuddering. He says because there is high torque it may be causing the vibration, but he will contact mazda with my concerns.

I had that same issue where my CX5 vibrated badly in reverse with my foot on the brake. I could even reproduce it when the engine was warm buy just power braking it in reverse. I took it to my Mazda dealer and they said Mazda is aware of this issue and has issued a revised motor mount to fix it. They said they had to call Mazda for this. They replaced my motor mount with this redesigned one and bingo, problem gone. You should take your Mazda to another dealer.

I had that same issue where my CX5 vibrated badly in reverse with my foot on the brake. I could even reproduce it when the engine was warm buy just power braking it in reverse. I took it to my Mazda dealer and they said Mazda is aware of this issue and has issued a revised motor mount to fix it. They said they had to call Mazda for this. They replaced my motor mount with this redesigned one and bingo, problem gone. You should take your Mazda to another dealer.

I am glad to find people with the same issue. I took my CX5 to dealership and explained the violent vibrations at start
up. Some computer changes and new transmission fluid did not fix the problem. Called dealership today and told them about the motor mount fix. Dealership looked into it and found nothing.

V8toilet can you please let me know what dealership you used to replace this motor mount, I will get my dealer to call and ask about the fix. Also the service manager was interested in which motor mount was replaced, do you know? Thanks

Gallo Mazda 508-791-3678. Slip says "vehicles shakes when putting vehicle in reverse in AM. Called tech line #802939 ordered updated mount and additional repairs under review. Mazda is aware of situation" It doesn't say which motor mount they replaced. There is mention of a tech bulletin 09-009/12 but not sure what that is.

I had the same problem and had the mount replaced. I think it was the right front mount. It was replaced with a manual transmission spec mount which is apparently more robust. No problems following the replacement. My dealer is Skyland Mazda in Asheville, NC.

Thanks V8 and Sylva for the great info.

V8, I called the service dept today and told them the tech line # and the tech bulletin. The checked these two numbers and they don't refer to vibrations at start up in reverse, any idea why that would be? I tried to get them to call Gallo Mazda but they have not done so as of yet. It frustrating that you two can get this problem fixed and I'm still dealing with it.

I also mentioned the manual transmission mount, they said they would get back to me but they didn't.

I'm still waiting to hear from Mazda. I will update as soon as I hear from them. I was just wondering if this is just an engine mount problem. For one, why is it only in reverse gear. Second, i notice I get the vibration at cold start up even When it is idling at a 1000 rpm, which is low. Once out of gear and then back in, the vibration is gone... But the rpms are about the same. Could it have something to do with the ABS?

I'm still waiting to hear from Mazda. I will update as soon as I hear from them. I was just wondering if this is just an engine mount problem. For one, why is it only in reverse gear. Second, i notice I get the vibration at cold start up even When it is idling at a 1000 rpm, which is low. Once out of gear and then back in, the vibration is gone... But the rpms are about the same. Could it have something to do with the ABS?

What you are describing is the exact symptoms I had...put the car into reverse (symptoms appear) then back into gear (symptoms disappear). Since I always back out of my parking space after a cold start, the first gear I select is always reverse, so I would not know if the problem appears when the car is first placed in drive.

I will check with Gallo myself over the weekend and let you know if I can come up with more helpful information.

Just to update. Didn't hear from the dealership for three months so I finally called them. Their response was that there is currently no fix for this problem and that Mazda Canada told them to continue to monitor the problem on their vehicles on the lot. I called Mazda Canada to confirm and they told me it is common on all Cx5s and that it is normal. WTF! That's not the answer I was hoping for. If that's the case, why are others getting their mounts replaced, but not here in Canada?
It's definitely not a normal operating sound of a brand new vehicle.

I called Mazda Canada to confirm and they told me it is common on all Cx5s and that it is normal.
It's definitely not normal for there to be shaking or vibration when backing up cold. I have to back up my steep driveway every time I leave and it is smooth as glass. And I've been doing this all winter long.

I ask all cx5 owners to try reverse first at cold startup. 1.) Put tranny in reverse. 2.) backup. 3.) apply brakes strongly, don't feather it. I am curious to see the results. Apparently the service manager hears it on cx5s on his lot when he has to move them around. Thx.

I just tried mine. Haven't driven itall day today so it is cold. No vibrations. Stopped smoothly.

First I am seeing of this thread...

I'll try it out in my CX-5 ASAP.
Mine is getting on up there in mileage now, and is a very early build. Getting some new suspension squeeks, shudders and other anomalies, but can't say I have noticed this one.

Sorry to drag up an old thread. I am having this issue with my 2013 CX-5 and was wondering if anyone had a part number for the revised or manual transmission motor mount that resolves the issue. Unfortunately my vehicle is out of warranty by 2 months. Thanks

Back