New CX-5 caring procedures

Okeano

:
CX-5 GT AWD
As of today, I'm a proud owner of a 2014 Soul Red CX-5 GT AWD, also the first car I actually own (instead of parents'). I have been reading up on this forum for the past few days, and went through the first 7 pages or so of this subforum and haven't really seen a topic like this. I did see a post about someone doing touchups on their CX-5 by applying clay to clean the paint, armor spray for tires and rims and etc (but can't find the post anymore). So I'm just wonder what sort of exterior caring owners are doing right after purchase, or regularly, to protect their CX-5?

I have ordered the clear bra and won't drive my CX-5 until I have that installed later this week; I'm a bit paranoid. I will probably buy the door step and truck edge guard too because it seems like the paint there could get damaged easily. I didn't order it with my car because I'm hoping to find a better after market deal. The front side windows are tinted by my dealership as per our deal.

No problem. I love my RX-8 and I would NEVER sell it. Only looking to add an RX-7 FD3S to the stable in the near future :) .

Autopia has many great articles on how to keep one's car protected and looking as good as it did when it rolled off the showroom floor. I've been hook on detailing since high school and can't imagine what my cars (present and past) would be like had I not learned how to keep them "detailed".

I've always taken care of my cars, old or new. The new ones get more attention and after 8 years they still both look pretty nice (minus the dings from idiots and rock strikes arggghh). I typically use Klasse All-In-One for the wax and I have applied the Sealant Glaze early on. Regarding claying, I wouldn't bother with that just yet, a year or two would suffice depending on the area (read smog level, bugs etc) you reside.

Buy a big pack of micro-fiber towels whatever you do, you can never have too many lol

Regarding claying, I wouldn't bother with that just yet, a year or two would suffice depending on the area (read smog level, bugs etc) you reside.

The CX5 didn't need it when we got it but the Mazda3 really needed it when we got it home. Neither spent long on the dealer lots but the 3 really had a lot of bonded contaminants that you could easily feel on the paint after washing. It was a night and day difference after claying it.

The detailing sites have a method of checking with a plastic baggie: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...nspect-above-surface-bonded-contaminants.html But on the cars I've done that really needed it you could tell just with bare hands after the surface was washed well.

The CX5 didn't need it when we got it but the Mazda3 really needed it when we got it home. Neither spent long on the dealer lots but the 3 really had a lot of bonded contaminants that you could easily feel on the paint after washing. It was a night and day difference after claying it.

The detailing sites have a method of checking with a plastic baggie: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...nspect-above-surface-bonded-contaminants.html But on the cars I've done that really needed it you could tell just with bare hands after the surface was washed well.

Did the 3 have an pearl/mica finish or solid color? Yeah, I can tell with my bare hand as well if the paint needs claying and I damn sure can tell when I've done the work... smooth as a baby's bottom!

As of today, I'm a proud owner of a 2014 Soul Red CX-5 GT AWD, also the first car I actually own (instead of parents'). I have been reading up on this forum for the past few days, and went through the first 7 pages or so of this subforum and haven't really seen a topic like this. I did see a post about someone doing touchups on their CX-5 by applying clay to clean the paint, armor spray for tires and rims and etc (but can't find the post anymore). So I'm just wonder what sort of exterior caring owners are doing right after purchase, or regularly, to protect their CX-5?

I have ordered the clear bra and won't drive my CX-5 until I have that installed later this week; I'm a bit paranoid. I will probably buy the door step and truck edge guard too because it seems like the paint there could get damaged easily. I didn't order it with my car because I'm hoping to find a better after market deal. The front side windows are tinted by my dealership as per our deal.

Clear bra will screw your paint up. I really recommend not having it on...

Back