Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Subwoofer

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrKraut

:
2013 CX-5 Sport MT, Kenwood DNX690 Nav, Polk Audio
I am putting together an install for my CX-5 Sport. I am debating on whether to go with an amp or a subwoofer.

Currently have:
Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD (20W RMS/50W Peak)
Polk DXi-6500 Components front (FR 35-26K) 6.5" bass in door, 1" tweeter in dash
Polk DXi-650 Coax Rear door

So, should I amp these bad boys with a Kenwood Excelon XR400-4 75W RMS x 4 or
install a Kicker Hideaway (150W RMS FR 25-120)? Note: I already ruled out the Sound Ordnance subs because the FR (40Hz) is no better than the polk and only provide about half the power of the Kicker.

Both would be installed under front seat. I only have enough funds for one, so both is not an option. So hear are my considerations:

Amp - Pros: Small, doesn't block heat vents, probably provides cleaner/crisper sound, still have decent bottom end with DXi-6500 FR down to 35Hz
Cons: Bass in door could rattle, more complicated wiring configuration (e.g. more expensive install)

Sub - Pros: Lots of bottom end, easier to install wiring, still get decent sound our of speakers since I can set crossover in HU and reduce power output needed
Cons: bigger, blocks heat vents, may not have sufficient power to drive Polks

So, what would you do - remember I can only do one of the two options. Any other pros/cons I am missing here?

Thanks,
DrK

In my opinion, it would probably be more worthwhile to amp up your current speakers. I'm no crazy audiophile, but I truly dislike an "amped" subwoofer system. You'll just get muddy mid-low range bass without a proper setup. Why not spend a little bit extra money and get a 5 channel amp? That way, it'll give you room to add a subwoofer if you choose to at a later time.

But, if you HAVE to get one or the other, I would get the amp to power your components.

I find all systems sound way more complete with a sub vs louder/clearer components. Personally I would buy both used for the price of 1 brand new. I have powered components and a big sub box setup in my cx-5. Without having a critical ear..everyone knows bass when they hear it.

Well, I went with sub + amp. The amp is under the driver seat (not blocking vent) and the sub I had a box built into the spare tire well (I don' carry a spare unless I'm going on a trip). The cover on the back is two parts and the box replaced the one closes to the hatch.
20130322_132612_zpsb8f3c594.jpg

Last edited:
I am putting together an install for my CX-5 Sport. I am debating on whether to go with an amp or a subwoofer.

Currently have:
Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD (20W RMS/50W Peak)
Polk DXi-6500 Components front (FR 35-26K) 6.5" bass in door, 1" tweeter in dash
Polk DXi-650 Coax Rear door

So, should I amp these bad boys with a Kenwood Excelon XR400-4 75W RMS x 4 or
install a Kicker Hideaway (150W RMS FR 25-120)? Note: I already ruled out the Sound Ordnance subs because the FR (40Hz) is no better than the polk and only provide about half the power of the Kicker.

Both would be installed under front seat. I only have enough funds for one, so both is not an option. So hear are my considerations:

Amp - Pros: Small, doesn't block heat vents, probably provides cleaner/crisper sound, still have decent bottom end with DXi-6500 FR down to 35Hz
Cons: Bass in door could rattle, more complicated wiring configuration (e.g. more expensive install)

Sub - Pros: Lots of bottom end, easier to install wiring, still get decent sound our of speakers since I can set crossover in HU and reduce power output needed
Cons: bigger, blocks heat vents, may not have sufficient power to drive Polks

So, what would you do - remember I can only do one of the two options. Any other pros/cons I am missing here?

Thanks,
DrK
If you put the Kicker Hideaway under the seat how much room is there between the top of the Sub and the bottom of the seat? I thought if there was at least an inch or two couldn't you fabricate an S shaped duct extension to shoot the air over the sub and below the seat into the back seat area?

Back