Odor from engine bay

Jasmanjr

:
Mazda CX9 Grand Touring AWD
I have a 2011 CX9. Stopped with engine running, a sulphur or burnt hydraulic oil smell enters the cabin. Dealer had it for 10 days and could not find source. Checked and tested all fluids, checked exhaust, HVAC, charging system and rulled out rodents. No odor while moving or in recirculate mode. While better, it's still present when coming to a stop. Searched Forum and only found cooling system odors. Mine is good. Love the car. Don't like the smell. I appreciate any help.

I had that smell when my transfer case was leaking. look underneath between front wheels for a possible leak. A battery leak can also give off an odor like that.

No leaks and new battery. Getting concerned about all the transfer case issues. Still under warranty. I will keep looking. Thanks for responding.

Anything dropping on the cat converters or heat shield can do it. Undercoating on this car? Did you ever see faint smoke of any kind?

I have been dealing with the same issue for months -irritating smell of burnt oil when came to stop or parked the car. In my case I also noticed drops of oil on the garage floor. Took it to dealer and they told me there was an oil leak from the oil pan gasket. They replaced the gasket along with oil drain plug, but it didn't fix the problem. Drove it back to the same dealer and was told that actually the leak was coming from the head gasket !!! I couldn't believe it, but since the car was still under warranty I let them replace the head gasket, expressing my disappointment and concerns (in my opinion head gasket replacement was a major job that could impact integrity of the engine).
Two days later I got my car back, and just next day oil stains showed up again. Yesterday I dropped the car for the third time and are waiting for a new story.
I wonder what my choices will be if that indeed tuns out to be a transfer case leak or something else. It really makes me nervous that they took apart my car for a wrong reason.
Any thoughts?

Wow very strange !! I've got 57k on the ticker on my 08' and every gasket is air tight, no leaks anywhere, and I've looked, because i'm getting close to 60k warranty expiration. But so far so good.

Could it be that one of you is in back of a Toyota? Every Toyota including 13' models stink something fierce out the tailpipe, like sulfurous odors, so if you ever get in back of one, you will have a sulfur smell in your car unless you have re-circulating air on.

I had the same thing on a 2012 CX-9 with 3K miles on it. Transfer case (PTO) burning up giving off odor. Warranty replacement. Dealer told me has not seen it at all in 2012 but was a big problem in earlier models. Our friend had to have it replaced at 50K miles out of warranty. After warranty replacement, no smell and much better gas mileage (dealer said PTO was binding). Push the issue with dealer tell them to call Mazda hotline. Get it replaced before warranty expires!

I am having the same problem with my 2008 , but not when stopped , all the contrary , whenever i floor it , i get that smell in the a/c.
Don't mean to hijack the thread , but didn't want to open a new one , maybe a diagnosis could be found.
Thnx ,

Back