Wont start

gage311

:
2002 Protege es
So i have a 2002 Protege ES 5 speed and the other day i was at a friends house at my alarm started going off. I unlocked and relocked it. Later when i went to leave the car would not start. i was able to popstart it and drive it home. I have replaced the starter (had it tested good) new relay, and new battery (currently reading 11.9 v). There is no click from the starter nor do you hear the injectors come on. any thoughts or help?

Get a test light, it's like $3. Check to make sure the ignition switch is sending power to the starter. Iirc it's yellow with black stripe. You won't hear the injectors but normally you can hear the fuel pump. But since it did run after push starting, all that should be fine.

If your feeling ballsey get the car on ramps, make sure it's sturdy. Have someone sit in the car and keep it in neutral. Turn the key to on position and jump the starter with a screw driver or other piece of metal. If it starts up its an electrical issue between the switch an the starter which can be many things. One way to get around all of it is to run a 12 gauge wire from the starter wire off the switch directly to the starter and bypass everything.

So you say you don't hear the injectors, but i'm assuming you mean the fuel pump. You turn the key to "on" and you don't hear the pump prime? But yet you were able to bump-start it and drive it from your friend's house? That doesn't make sense (unless the pump was priming the fuel line that night, but has since stopped).

tweety2300's suggestion is good for getting the starter to spin the engine, but if you got no fuel flowing, you won't get ignition. Obviously cranking the engine would be a good way to find out, but I feel like just concentrating on cranking the motor is missing the real cause of the problem if you're not getting the other stuff to come one as well.

I have an 03 ES, and my stock alarm only goes off if I hit the button on the fob--not if someone breaks in or jostles the car or anything like that. Do you have an aftermarket alarm system? If so, we should probably start there.

If no aftermarket system, then when you put the key in the on position, do you see all "dummy lights" on the dash light up? Specifically, I want to know if the check-engine light is on, because that would indicate ECU readiness.

If the CEL is on, then please listen carefully when turning the key to the "on" position to determine if the ECU is sending 2(?)-second priming pulse to the fuel pump. If not, then the the problem could lie in the ECU, or in the Relay that the ECU trying to ground.

Have you checked your clutch switch? It won't even try to start if the clutch switch is open.

In my experience the alarm kept the starter from turning but I could still push start it. Which is why I bypassed all that crap

i have tried jumping the starter with no luck. as for the alarm i believe its not stock but a dealer option it does say mazda alarm. the lights on the dash to light up but there are no stored fault codes the o2 was bad before all of this tho. i havent check the clutch switch and im not sure how

clutch switch is good but im having trouble testing the ignition switch its a 6 prong plug i ran the continuity test with it in the car and it passed everything but the d-e connection in start position (i got the test info from the 1990-2003 323/ protege Haynes manual). however when i did the test after i pulled the switch pretty much all of the failed and id get connections in weird spots

Thought id post an update anyway car still wont start except when i popstart it. The ignition switch is good and im getting 12.56 v at both terminals in start position. Im at a total loss here if any one has any idea please help i hate to have to bring it to the dealership

Nope its new had it tested when i got it put it in and it didnt work pulled it and had it retested came back good

it passed everything but the d-e connection in start position (i got the test info from the 1990-2003 323/ protege Haynes manual). however when i did the test after i pulled the switch pretty much all of the failed and id get connections in weird spots

What does "after i pulled the switch pretty much all of the failed and id get connections in weird spots" mean?

The starter is getting 12V at both terminals S and B and not spinning? That suggests the starter solenoid is broken or the pathway from the starter to ground is open. How exactly did you bench test the starter? If it spins on the bench, then the problem is likely the pathway to ground...

Assuming the starter, ignition, clutch switch were tested correctly, the problem is then in the wiring somewhere, probably due to the alarm. I'm not sure exactly how the Mazda Protege alarm system is wired but it apparently has a starter kill wired in, possibly through a relay. If the alarm module is broken then the starter kill is stuck on (I had this problem on my Sentra SE-R).

I'm not sure exactly how the wiring works but the alarm module is apparently plug 'n play. Which means it's possible to unplug all the connections from the alarm, remove the alarm, and plug the connections to where ever else they might go. Or, if you're confident the alarm module is the problem you can purchase a new one for ~$100 (?), or you can try to get a used one off a recycler on ebay.

You can try sending a PM to a member who has installed the alarm to see if they still have instructions. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. This thread might help:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?112520-OEM-MAZDA-Alarm-Installation-questions

Ive already pulled the alarm that was the first thing i tried and yea its plug n play and easy to remove. as for the ignition switch i was misreading the book and its fine (i also purchased a new one before realizing my mistake). i had the starter bench tested at auto zone came back fine but when i tried jumping the starter to the battery it wouldnt spin i have also tried running a ground wire from the solenoid to the frame all with no luck. i hate to do it but i might just bring it to mazda

Is it possible i just got the wrong starter? I noticed there was a few to choose from on the napa site

Ok put the ignition on go under the hood with a spare section of wire .one end on + side of battery to small spade connector on wiring on top of starter touch out. Caution make sure in park if auto if engine turns and starts check out solenoid switch on auto box as this may have gone open circuit .
This is a safety device stoping you from starting car in D or R .Good luck

Back