Two different noises on rear suspension. "Klunk" in front suspension.

RensoreK

:
Mazda Protege 5 (2003)
I purchased a P5 July last year, and it immediately needed some replacing of the rear links. The previous owner had one (used) he gave me because he hadn't gotten around to replacing it. Replaced and no noticeable noise from the rear, only the "Clunk" in the front. Well to make this short and sweet:

1) Thought the front clunk was front control arms, still makes noise on rough roads (Planning to do the stabilizer bar bushings also?)
2) Rear stabilizer bushings worn, replaced. Noise is same/unchanged.
3) Stabilizer control links seem good, pretty firm, rubber boot not broken.
4) When purchased, had KYB GR-2(?) struts on all 4. (Assuming these aren't a P5 OEM part so might have been replaced.)

The driver side rear makes a clunk on the slightest of rough terrain or unevenness. The passenger side makes an odd squeaking/creaking sound not a clunk.

Before I go insane purchasing all sorts of items, does anyone have any clues or any ideas to help me find what these culprits are? Any help you guys can provide (no matter how little) is awesome and could help me have some peace of mind that I can solve this (for someone who is not yet an amateur mechanic but willing/able to get this done!)

Last edited:
If its only one side it could be something as simple as a tie rod end or ball joint,
do you have any uneven tire wear?
im sorta confused reading what your saying, you have a clunk in the front and the rear? then a squeak in the right rear?

Use a pry bar, sway bar links and ball joints are under pressure,... it's hard to detect slack unless you wedge something and try to force the ball and joint apart.

If its only one side it could be something as simple as a tie rod end or ball joint,
do you have any uneven tire wear?
im sorta confused reading what your saying, you have a clunk in the front and the rear? then a squeak in the right rear?

I do not have uneven tire wear (that I have noticed). Yes its a clunking in the front (unable to determine which side), and a clunking in the rear (driver side). Squeaking is on the right rear.

UPDATE: Did a quick check, control links on rear driver side is definitely causing some noise, slight tapping with rubber mallet confirms this (it also wiggles in an out with simple force). Also the front control rod for the driver side is moveable with simple force. So I'm going to just replace the front control rods to be safe, and both rear control links . See if it solves the problems. Will update later with the results in case anyone has the same or similar issue.

UPDATE:

1) All stabilizer bar bushings replaced. (Front+Rear)
2) All link control and control rods replaced. (Front+Rear)
3) Brand new control arms (Front)

Still sounds the same, what could possibly be left?? (toilet)

Links and shock absorbers I suppose?

UPDATE:

1) All stabilizer bar bushings replaced. (Front+Rear)
2) All link control and control rods replaced. (Front+Rear)
3) Brand new control arms (Front)

Still sounds the same, what could possibly be left?? (toilet)

Links and shock absorbers I suppose?

When I got my p5, I had some noises up front...had bad end links and struts. Once both of those were replaced I had no more noise.

When I got my p5, I had some noises up front...had bad end links and struts. Once both of those were replaced I had no more noise.

I've already replaced all the possible endlinks yesterday. I guess its time for new struts possibly.

Does anyone know if the MP5 uses KYB GR-2 struts as stock struts??? Just trying to get any idea if these have been changed since I bought the wagon, thats what they had on there. (uhm)

I've already replaced all the possible endlinks yesterday. I guess its time for new struts possibly.

I'm pretty sure they do not use kybs for stock. I think kyb would work fine though. And yeah pop your hood and make sure they are tight, check the bolts in the wheel well too.

Does anyone know if the MP5 uses KYB GR-2 struts as stock struts??? Just trying to get any idea if these have been changed since I bought the wagon, thats what they had on there. (uhm)

Dude I had that klunk noise on my front and I just put in four new struts with springs on all wheels and the klunk is still there. Kind of pissed me off but it is a little less but I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Dude I had that klunk noise on my front and I just put in four new struts with springs on all wheels and the klunk is still there. Kind of pissed me off but it is a little less but I guess I'll just have to live with it.

If it wasn't there when I got the wagon there HAS to be a solution. If you have a klunk in the front definitely check the endlinks and the bushings for the sway bar. Most likely it is the bushings on the stabilizer/sway bar. They become worn and the bar hitting on metal makes a "klunk". Thats how I solved the front issue.

For everyone who suggested checking if the struts are held down, I'm going to look into that tommorow and see if I can check the condition of the bump stops and look for any leaks. Will report back soon!

I swear once I solve this I will post a solution so those who's brain gears are wearing away from trying to find the solution can get it over with (hump)

Any luck on the rear noise? I have the same annoying noise, did the links and bushings with no luck...

Finally got to solving the issue. The original driver had mounted the front strut mounts in the wrong rotation and they were releasing tension and hitting inside the wheel well. Also the plastic runner bearings were broken causing more noise. The Klunk on the rear is a thin rubber spacer for the strut mount is damaged. Man does that cause a lot of noise back there. Everything else was mechanically fine.

Back