TomTom is horrible

No route Input While Driving - and Mazda Canada

Sent an email to Mazda Canada concerning the inability to enter route change information while in motion. I am now reassured....sigh.

I am writing to express my disappointment with the operation of the navigation system in my 2013 CX-5 (delivered August 21, 2012). I won't detail the frustration with the voice activation capability as this is uniformly bad across all manufacturers. My specific complaint is with the inability of my spouse to perform navigation system inputs from the passenger seat while the vehicle is in motion. She has always been responsible for navigation when we travel; a task which was made easier with the innovation of portable GPS hardware. It was this that made her demand that our next Mazda have the nav system built in. Imagine our surprise and disappointment when we discovered that the 700$ system supplied by Mazda is less capable than the 150$ portable system it replaced. Currently, we are traveling with the old portable while telling all of our acquaintances about the superior usability of the portable systems over the installed Mazda product.
You desperately need to address this functionality failure and supply a software update to correct it.
Regards;
Brian Amirault

Dear Brian Amirault,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Mazda Canada Inc. We value and welcome your feedback.

As automobile manufacturers, it is of utmost importance that we receive feedback from our customers. You are, after all, the final user of our products and dealerships services; therefore your experience and expectations are important.

We regret the dissatisfaction you are experiencing with the navigation system. Being confidant with our superior product, we are continually striving to improve thus will review your feedback internally and aim to have it addressed accordingly in the near future.

Regards,
Chaitana Sharma
Coordinator, Customer Relations
MAZDA CANADA INC.

You can find the 60 day Latest Map Update statement on mazdanav.com or this statement at Tom Tom's web site
I hope I'm wrong, because I just bought a CX-5 w/Navi

Note: The Latest Map Guarantee does not apply to the following products:

Maps that came preinstalled on a memory card
Downloadable maps purchased using TomTom HOME or our website
Refurbished navigation devices purchased using the TomTom Outlet Store
Yeah, I tried updating last night & didn't get the latest map. Just the red light/speeding camera app & something else.
Oh well, I'll pay a one time upgrade fee a few years down the road or bf we take a road trip.
It's almost useless to update bc google maps is live & tells you if on/off ramps are closed due to construction & reroutes automatically. Not sure if Tom Tom does that.

I upgraded to the latest map a couple of weeks ago. The one that was on the memory card when I purchased the car was from May of 2012 or something like that.

You can find the 60 day Latest Map Update statement on mazdanav.com or this statement at Tom Tom's web site
I hope I'm wrong, because I just bought a CX-5 w/Navi

Note: The Latest Map Guarantee does not apply to the following products:

Maps that came preinstalled on a memory card
Downloadable maps purchased using TomTom HOME or our website
Refurbished navigation devices purchased using the TomTom Outlet Store

That does not apply to the Mazda NB1. I thought the same thing and wrote them about it. I gather they used to (or maybe in Europe still do) sell SD cards with one time maps pre-installed. But I have used my Latest Map Guarantee and also purchased the Map Update Service for my NB1.

I haven't had a problem with inputting full addresses via the voice input. I do wish the damn system would respond quicker, especially when it use it for phone calls. There are too many steps.

Just as a note, the TomTom voice recognition and the car voice recognition for the phone are not the same system.

Question? Has anyone tried the google send to car with their cx5. I use it all the time with my car and I am buying a cx5 for my wife this Saturday. Basically you go to google maps and send the destination you search right to your car. It is received as a message and you navigate without voice or typing in the address.

Question? Has anyone tried the google send to car with their cx5. I use it all the time with my car and I am buying a cx5 for my wife this Saturday. Basically you go to google maps and send the destination you search right to your car. It is received as a message and you navigate without voice or typing in the address.

Google no longer offers the option to send to TomTom GPS' or Mazda cars. I wish they did.

What you need to do is use TomTom route planner (http://routes.tomtom.com/) but even that's a bit lame. It's easier to just input the destination in your Mazda NB1, imho.

Google no longer offers the option to send to TomTom GPS' or Mazda cars. I wish they did.

What you need to do is use TomTom route planner (http://routes.tomtom.com/) but even that's a bit lame. It's easier to just input the destination in your Mazda NB1, imho.

I use this feature all the time in my 328, sucks that I can't use it in my cx5

Back