TomTom is horrible

jtl

:
CX-5 GT w/Tech
The voice commands are useless, but you already knew that. I cannot believe that this product is so bad. We even tried three different peoples voices to get directions to a fricking airport and it messed up every single time. What a waste of money.

I have to agree. I am more dissapointed that I paid the extra money for it in my Sport CX-5. There is a new update I downloaded yesterday, and with the new update it changed the Navigation Home Screen, but I did not notice ANY improvements with the voice command. I can ask for directions to an address and it just shuts down. I can give a name of a POI with ANY environment condition, and it won't even come close to what I am asking or it doesn't even do a thing and just goes back to the screen it was on when I asked a command. We really got the shaft from Mazda and Tomtom on this one. The Navigation has been unreliable since the beginning with the voice commands. It seems that Mazda did nothing to ensure they were getting a good product for their customers.

I am really surprised that a company the size of TomTom would put their name on such an inferior product. What is the update version?

Tom Tom voice recognition is one of the worst out there but I'm one of those, yes there are still some of us out there, who manually put in the address into the screen so this doesn't bug me but I do feel for you voice recognition people. Must be frustrating as hell.

I'm with Gio. OTOH, once you have input-ed your destination and begin route guidance, it works well.

I find the voice commands work great, it recognises everything, drive home, drive to airport, even if I read out a long address with number, street, town it works, switch to German and speak with a Swiss accent and its also good.

One problem I did find, if you turn the volume of the speaking voice down, then for some reason, it stops recognising anything you say, even though when you speak, the mic volume goes up to full strength, it just keeps saying not recognised. Turn up the volume and its fine again.

I haven't had a problem with inputting full addresses via the voice input. I do wish the damn system would respond quicker, especially when it use it for phone calls. There are too many steps.

One problem I did find, if you turn the volume of the speaking voice down, then for some reason, it stops recognising anything you say, even though when you speak, the mic volume goes up to full strength, it just keeps saying not recognised. Turn up the volume and its fine again.

Thank you! That's why suddenly it began not to recognise my voice commands: I put the speaking voice volume to zero... (yippy)

how do you download the Tom Tom update? I know its on an SD card, do you have to go to tom toms web site?

Thank you! That's why suddenly it began not to recognise my voice commands: I put the speaking voice volume to zero... (yippy)

Yes, I was going crazy trying to work out what was going on! Glad you got it fixed.

how do you download the Tom Tom update? I know its on an SD card, do you have to go to tom toms web site?

See How Do I Download and Install My Map on TomTom's site. Since you have the 2014 CX-5, your device is an NB1 and your will want to use TomTom Home software. In TT Home there's a menu point to get the Latest Map Guarantee for free. You'll want to use that and also take advantage of any free upgrades before purchasing the Map Update Service. Free upgrades were 90 days, but those things can change so just keep an eye out as you go though the process.

sorry if this has been answered before, but i have read on here about the 90 day free map update and people updating the actual program software. are these two different updates and if so are they only free for the first 90 days? or is there a cost involved to update either after?

You should definitely contact Tomtom support if you don't see your map update in your TomTomHome. I was asked to send in my purchase invoice and they end up adding 1-year map update for my account.

I read that the TomTom application update is free and I have used it to update 3 times. The map update is one time in 90days and requires a $40/year subscription after that.

Correct, the general updates are free but for major map updates are free like GAXIBM stated.

I read that the TomTom application update is free and I have used it to update 3 times. The map update is one time in 90days and requires a $40/year subscription after that.

When you buy a brand new TomTom device there may already be a newer version of your map available. With the TomTom Latest Map Guarantee, you can get every update to your map that becomes available within 90 days of first using your device. This ensures you will start driving with the latest map, guaranteed!

When you buy a brand new TomTom device there may already be a newer version of your map available. With the TomTom Latest Map Guarantee, you can get every update to your map that becomes available within 90 days of first using your device. This ensures you will start driving with the latest map, guaranteed!

I read that you get a one time upgrade to current level, not every update...

"you get every update to your map that becomes available within 90 days of first using your device" Where do you get a one time update from that statement?

You can find the 60 day Latest Map Update statement on mazdanav.com or this statement at Tom Tom's web site
I hope I'm wrong, because I just bought a CX-5 w/Navi

Note: The Latest Map Guarantee does not apply to the following products:

Maps that came preinstalled on a memory card
Downloadable maps purchased using TomTom HOME or our website
Refurbished navigation devices purchased using the TomTom Outlet Store

Last edited:
Back