Factory Remote Starter for CX-5

jeisensc

:
2013 CX-5 AWD GT w/ Tech Package
I had the Mazda remote starter port-installed on my CX-5. I've had a number of problems with it, which I've reported to the dealer several of the times it was in for service/diagnostic. Each time, they told me they tested it 3-5 times and it started fine.

From December 17 to February 4 I tracked each problem, and counted 11 errors in three catagories:
  • Started but remote shows ERR
  • Did not start, remote shows ERR
  • Did not start, remote shows no ERR

When I brought the CX-FAIL in to remove data recorder #2, I was told that a service bulletin was issued just that week (Feb 4th) with a software update to fix "A4" error codes on the remote start. I have 2 FOBs (the second took them 2 days to program), so I had to go home and get both sets of keys to be reprogrammed.

After 2 days at the dealer, Mazda determined the Start/Stop module was defective. They ordered a replacement, and once it arrived the CX-5 was in for 3 days while they replaced it and reprogrammed the remotes.

So if you have the Mazda remote starter and have had problems, and Mazda has said that you are the problem, there is finally a TSB and software update that should fix the issue. Since it's been broken for most of the cold weather here, I have few opportunities left to test it.

And while it was in the shop, they gouged the hell out of my steering wheel and steering column.

IMG_1612.jpeg

IMG_1611.jpeg

Damn that is bad, did you report it to them and if you did are they doing anything to fix it?

Last edited:
Damn that is bad, did you report it to them and if you did are they doing anything to fix it?

The service manager is out of the office this week, but I reported to him by email the following day. I'll be following up next week.

Back