Head light Mod Modification

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 MP5
When I did my headlight mod,.. I found a short-cut,... there is an ACC 1 or 2 wire right in the connector.
No need for finding another ACC wire to splice into. No need for a fuse either,... it's fused already (as I found out the harder but funner way)

The wire is the Black with a Yellow stripe. The fuse is the number 15 METER fuse, 10 amp

FusePanel_zps84162c07.jpg

SUNP0165_zps277d95a6.jpg

SUNP0159_zps68d057dc.jpg

SUNP0127_zpsa54e28b2.jpg

SUNP0126_zps758b8317.jpg

Get any relay off any junker anywhere that has four wires on it,... get the whole relay and connector,...

I had this relay sitting around for 10 yrs
just apply 12v to any combination of two wires till you here a click (Touch the battery terminals at the junk yard)
those two wires run the "electric switch" the other two wires ARE the switch
A relay is an electrically powered switch

There is only 0.12 amps running through the switch to operate the headlight relay,... so ANY 12 V relay will do,... (even one from your cell phone if you want to)

You do need to have to get a normally open switch that only closes the mechanical switch inside when power is applied,... so bring your ohm meter (or multi-meter) with you. or just get a five wire relay and figure out the pin configurement .

SO,... guess who needs a new camera,... I've got a 5 foot focal length and my arms aren't that long

This is the best wire stripper I've ever owned,... no more cut or broken strands (burnt fingers maybe)
SUNP0154_zpsc3828f58.jpg

Last edited:
Cars are built way too stupid if you ask me,... why the hell would anyone purposely want to leave their lights on after removing the keys and leaving the car.

This mod shuts them off,... Idiot proof (Yea I know we have a buzzer,... why don't they just get the buzzer to turn them off instead of bugging me ??!!?!)

My friend has a Pontiac Torrent with "automatic" lights, that turn themselves on and off. You don't have to bother with them at all,... But, it has a manual over ride just like a headlight switch in any other car and if you turn on the lights, they come on and stay on,... Even with the key removed. It also has a timer circuit, so it looks normal when you leave the car, for the lights to be on for a few seconds. But that light switch keeps them on till the battery is dead. She's had the car 6 months and killed the battery three times. User friendly my a$$

EVERY thing on a car shuts off with the key why not the lights ( except for maybe .1 amps to run your clock and in my case the Auto light from the power window mod.)

Last edited:
Cars are built way too stupid if you ask me,... why the hell would anyone purposely want to leave their lights on after removing the keys and leaving the car.

This mod shuts them off,... Idiot proof (Yea I know we have a buzzer,... why don't they just get the buzzer to turn them off instead of bugging me ??!!?!)

Ahhhh. good good, Thanks for this!

Check the link to the original mod,... I added some more details there because I can't update this page for some reason.

I'm the last post in that thread (as of today anyway) post #40

The post right above mine has a link to some good pictures (at least with a better camera)

Last edited:
This is a quote from the first post in the original thread:

how to auto turn off head/parking lights
hey if any 1 here is retarded like me and leaves there lights on cause of the tt here is the solution.
remove colum cover(3 screws under stering wheel). then take the large gauge black wire at the bottom of blinker/headlight switch and cut it about 2 inches away from plug.take a 30 amp relay(get it at any parts store $5-$10)and connect pin 85and 30 to the side of wire away from switch. then take pin 87a normally closed and connect to switch side of wire. finally take pin 86 to your ignition wire (reads 12v when car is on and dont forget to fuse it).ther you go head/parking lights turn off with car and can still be opperated normally with the car on.

The original poster was thinking all the current for the headlights was running through the black wire,... But there is only 0.12 amps (120 ma) with the headlights on. Only enough power to energize the electromagnet inside the relay for the lights (running lights too)

I'm sure a 1 or 2 amp relay is plenty (1000 or 2000 ma) It could be much smaller I used the 20 amp one because I had it on hand and it had the connector.

Last edited:
Back