Anyone ever have their rear brakes dragging

Yelop5

:
'02 P5
Hi There

Just wondering if anyone on here has had the return spring on their rear callipers wear out.

I found my passenger side rear wheel seems to be dragging a bit and inspected the calliper and parking brake cable. Both seem to be operating as normal. The only thing I can track it down to is that the return spring on the rear calliper may have lost some its omph over the years and as a result is not returning the calliper to the full "open" position with the parking brake off.

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue or if I am barking up the wrong tree and need to start looking elsewhere for the source of the problem.

Thanks,
Sean

My front right brake is dragging, but it's my caliper piston that is locking up in the cylinder....i'm not sure how many miles you have on your car but a easy way to tell if it's the ebrake or caliper piston hanging up is take the caliper loose and push the piston in...does it still drag? if not it's you caliper....if you replace one caliper it's best to do both sides (right rear and left rear) because doing one at a time you will run into trouble down the road...hope this helps

Hi There

Just wondering if anyone on here has had the return spring on their rear callipers wear out.

I found my passenger side rear wheel seems to be dragging a bit and inspected the calliper and parking brake cable. Both seem to be operating as normal. The only thing I can track it down to is that the return spring on the rear calliper may have lost some its omph over the years and as a result is not returning the calliper to the full "open" position with the parking brake off.

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue or if I am barking up the wrong tree and need to start looking elsewhere for the source of the problem.

Thanks,
Sean

I know this is a lot late, but mine did this exact same thing. I pulled the caliper off, reset the piston all the way in (using a big C clamp and old brake pad), and then put the caliper back on. Once it was back on the car I noticed the outside wasn't clearing well. So I pulled out my hammer and tapped on the area where the caliper bolts together on the top. It shifted out to where it was supposed to be and it has never happened again. That was probably in March that I fixed mine.

The rear caliper you cant use a big c clamp. It has to be screwed in with a tool. If the ebrake lever on the caliper is all the way back(you can pry with a screwdriver back to ck) then the caliper has failed and a new pair needs to be installed.

I am having this same problem. I am trying to visualize what 91Protege means "If the ebrake lever on the caliper is all the way back(you can pry with a screwdriver back to ck) ." Are you referring to the lever that the ebrake cable connects to? If that lever was not all the way back, wouldnt the cable be loose in the connector?

Back