New to Mazda

mic

:
2013 CX5 Touring
Totally new to Mazda, joined the forums for research on the seat's , specifically the driver's seat, I feel like I'm squished in the seat part, weight is 250, height is 6'3"

Great fuel economy

I agree. I find myself sitting too close to the door sometimes. As long as my butt is centered in the seat, it's better. Im going to do an hour long drive today so I will see how it feels for a longer drive. 6' 225

I am also 250lbs and 6'3, the with the seat all the way back and the steering wheel adjusted just right it was comfortable for me to take a road trip down to San Antonio. May be taking it on a 3 hour drive this next weekend so we will see how it is.

I spent about 3 hours in the CX5 drivers seat yesterday. It's narrow, but I guess I can live with it. I did enjoy the fact that my friend drove his X5d from/to the same place, carrying the same amount of people and stuff and I beat him with the avmpg's on both our car according to the computers. I payed exactly half of what he did for the car, so I bought dinner(cabpatch)

Last edited:
I know that it's a problem in our area, with guys my height and taller, one tried returning it to the dealer and the dealer would not even talk to him besides saying you test drove it and signed the paper work. I know a couple of Rav4 owners that said they loved the CX5 but for comfort in the front seats it was horrible and even though there gas milage is a tiny amount lower, there happier with the Comfort of the 2013 Rav4.

For me when I was shopping that's one vehicle I never test drove because the local dealer's lot is like a pool of sharks when you get out of your vehicle. I looked at them and sat in them but did not test drive one because the salesman started his bad mouthing campaign on the competitors and thats just not right.

The world is filled with way too many greedy people, lying about this and that till you sign the papers and then there off and never want to see you again.

I'm 6', 220lbs, and I love the comfort. I sat in everything from the Rav4 to CX-5 to Escape and the CX was definitely at or near the top for driver comfort.

The one thing I do notice is that a lot of drivers do not adjust the seat to the right position in terms of driver safety (how / where the airbags will hit you) but luckily for me that is where I am most comfortable for my hour commute to work each way.

I'm 6', 220lbs, and I love the comfort. I sat in everything from the Rav4 to CX-5 to Escape and the CX was definitely at or near the top for driver comfort.

I agree, I like the seats better than the leather seats in my Volvo S80 (previously the best seats I had experienced for my 6'-04" 215 lbs). They are especially good on a twisty bumpy road.

But one thing I was not happy with was not being able to get all the electronic options without also having to get the moon roof. It's not too sporty to have a big, heavy, re-enforced port hole (with electric motors and a sheet of glass) above your head. And while the CX-5 head room is pretty generous the moon roof does subtract 1.25" from the headroom vs. a CX-5 without the moon roof. Now I can't wear my cowboy hat as I cruise around town (just kidding, I don't wear a cowboy hat).

But the seats are great.

The one thing I do notice is that a lot of drivers do not adjust the seat to the right position in terms of driver safety (how / where the airbags will hit you) but luckily for me that is where I am most comfortable for my hour commute to work each way.

No 2 humans are alike but the Rav4 XLE is by far much more comfortable than the CX5, the escape is the usual hard form which ford is know for but the escapes seats are once again not comfortable.

No 2 humans are alike but the Rav4 XLE is by far much more comfortable than the CX5, the escape is the usual hard form which ford is know for but the escapes seats are once again not comfortable.

It sounds like you may not be typical when it comes to the details of seat comfort.

It sounds like you may not be typical when it comes to the details of seat comfort.

I have to say that the vehicle its self is fantastic and great on gas, coming over from a V-8 5.0 F-150, but then again you'd expect that.

As for comfort, in the short term around town and back and forth to work it's OK, but long distance is not happening. The dealer said to come back and drive the same model with leather seat's because allot of all people some how feel more comfortable in the leather than cloth seats. Although there not going to take my vehicle and trade it in they are referring me to the Katzkin leather seating. IMHO its the poor design of the center console so that you are confined. Out of all the test drives I never felt uncomfortable with clothe , who knows maybe go with leather and see what happen's.

Last edited:
As for comfort, in the short term around town and back and forth to work it's OK, but long distance is not happening.

CX-5 cloth seats work better for me for longer drives (2 hours) than any previous car including rentals, loaners, etc. In fact, I still have my 2010 F-150 (also with cloth seats) and the seats are merely adequate - not very comfortable after about an hour. I am 6'-04" and 210 lbs. I think Ford designed them to work for people who are extremely overweight and that limited their long distance comfort for ordinary people. On the other hand, I imagine the CX-5 seats would not work very well for those who are 30% or more over their HWP weight and I think that's why they work so well for me - they didn't try to accommodate the +++ sizes at the expense of more average body types. I am not implying you must be over weight because I really don't know, you could very well have other issues (lower back etc). I've had a history of lower back pain which the Ford seats aggravated but pure comfort with the CX-5 seats.

I feel that the CX-5 seats are adequate. I do long for my BMW Sport seats when taking a long drive in the Mazda.

i've done lots of long trips in my cx5 (4+hours including a couple 8hr ones) and the seat itself is comfortable, i'm 6'3" and 240ish i have the seat all the way down, and just a tiny bit forward of all the way back, wheel is all the way up and forward

my only gripe is that i wish the upper door trim was at least that slightly padded soft touch of the dash instead of hard plastic and that maybe the console armrest was adjustable (forward/back and angle/height) i dont feel 'confined' by the console

Think that tall people like myself should take a fine tooth sawz all to that center console and notch it out so that the legs can open up a little. Going from a bench seat in an F-150 to that bucket seat is a big change and one that really could not be noticed during test drive's, will admit the leather seems more comfortable but forking out $1300.00 for all new leather seats and door panels is not in the budget.

Back