High reving when going into neutral

kosteniuks17

:
Mazda Protege5 2003
Alright so i know its probably not an immediate danger but I know it is most likely a sign that something is in the long run going to fail. So I was wondering what you all might have experienced. Anyways my problem is that when my car eventually gets at operating temp, and when i switch gears back to neutral the engine will keep the reves at like 2500 and it wont go down until I gas the peddle a little and then it drops back down to 750. Even if I park and drop it into neutral and it will hold at 2000 for like twenty thirty minutes. This of course doesn't happen all the time most of the time when i put it in neutral itll drop to 750 again but about 25% time i go to neutral itll hold a high rpm. Could this be a sign of clutch failure? Someone told me if your clutch is going bad then you'll have a high revving engine. Anybody have this problem and know what it might be?

-BTW just got my tokico blue and progress sway fully on this morning and love it!! In case anyone plans on similar upgrades.

Last edited:
I have a similar issue. Do you have a CEL? Mine has a faulty neutral safety switch cel. Don't think a bad clutch would have anything to do with it.

No CEL just really random high revving when in neutral. Doesnt happen all the time, but still makes me concerned.

There is also two clutch switches that tie into the ECU. When the ECU detects that the clutch is in or the Trans. is in neutral, it sends the engine to idle. If one those three switches isn't working properly, the engine may not be told to go to idle.

If your neutral switch is working intermittently, it may not trigger the CEL but may still cause the lack of idling.

May also be a sticky throttle body.

Highidle_zps6a661ab9.jpg

Highidle2_zpsad184e4d.jpg

Last edited:
Back