Mazda CX-7 website for class-action lawsuit in regards to timing chain and VVT

Well, here is my short-term update;

The timing chain was replaced and the fluid filled motor mount was as well. Interestingly, an earlier inquiry to the motor mount as covered on the ext warranty was denied at the other dealer location approx a year ago when first discovered.
In this case two days ago, it was authorized as covered. The paperwork shows about an $84 amount for it and no details as to if it's the part or labor the dealer ended up doing but in my quote originally as not covered, it was approx a $400 fix my cost per p/l .
Anyways, very happy all went smooth and the motor is def quieter.

One thing I've been contemplating is doing a test run on Shell Rotella Syn blend. It's a great rated oil and it's not expensive. I'm a bit leery on the black cruddy color of the oil that happens pretty early on after an o/c. I guess it's not abnormal for turbos.
The dealer does the LOF under my 'plan' but I still think I'd like to run the motor on Rotella just to see how it does and check the mpg. I think we left the dealer with the odo at 94,840 or so.
If I find anything interesting and worth posting on the Rotella, I will post it a few months down the line.

Happy zooming

Last edited:
I purchased my 2008 CX-7 Grand Touring used from CarMax 3 years ago. In July 2014, the VVT system went out at 90,000 miles. Of course it was not covered through Mazda, however my extended warranty covered the cost. The car has been in and out of the shop 8 additional timed since then. Three of the four cylinders had to be replaced (one going out 50 miles after getting my car back from the shop), the transfer case needed to be replaced along with a host of other problems. Last week I hear a pop and a bunch noise form under the hood. Turns out I threw a rod that shot through the engine. The engine, starter, turbo, transmission, drive plate, etc. ALL have to be replaces at a cost of $16,000! My extended warranty will not pay because it exceeds the value of the car. I've maintained my car and have receipts to prove it...in fact, I had an oil change 4 days before this occurred. I'm now without a car, not to mention I'm still paying the car note...

My wife has a 2008 CX-7 Grand Touring. It had the VVT issue and we got it fixed at the dealer back in 2011 under warranty. I still have the receipt but it doesn't have the mileage on it. I think it was around 60K or so miles on it. Well the VVT noise is back again and we have just over 93K miles on the car now. Has anyone who got the VVT repair done at the dealership had the problem come back? If so were you successful in getting the dealer to take care of the problem again since it obviously wasn't fully fixed? We plan on trading it in in the next month or two and don't really want to pay money out of pocket to get it fixed, but if the dealer will cover it then I'd want to get it taken care of.

Welp, you can put me in the "me too" category. My 2008 CX-7 is currently sitting at the dealer. I was told bad compression in #1 cylinder. I am looking at a massive repair bill after just having dropped thousands on this car over last summer to do the VVT and seals. I have a call into Mazda Customer Care, but my hopes are not high as the car is out of Certified Pre-Owned status on time and mileage. RIP CX-7.

Good bye CX-7 -

Update on ours is that she was still doing fine at 117,000 but I felt like borrowed time was closing in. Last year or so was running through a little extra oil to the tune of adding 1/2 quart or so in the 600 mile range.

In search of test drives for my wife to find something she liked that offered 3rd row and rear camera, I thought we'd take our time and check out a 1/2 dozen ideas but it turns out even though she said she wanted something different, we went back to Mazda and picked out a CX-9 (2016) with 4700 miles on it.
I'm thrilled because I wanted to seriously consider one and test drive them, yet she sounded un-enthused about getting another CX. All I can say is the CX-9 IS DIFFERENT in lots of ways.
Gone is the slightly sportier feel and handling of the 7 but the trade off is a butter smooth ride , solid stable feel and quiet interior with doors that are nearly soundproof. It has a tad more body roll but it's found it's happy compromise IMO. So far so good with just a bit over a week into it. 310 ft of torque and a strong motor without the excessive turbo lag the other has.

Good luck to the future with the CX-7 clan.

Back