CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mazda CX-7 website for class-action lawsuit in regards to timing chain and VVT

Registered Member

Mazda Cx-7, 2011

(Newbie - my experience)bs)

My wife and I were in the market for a vehicle the summer of 2011. We had a check from our institution in the back pocket so we went searching.

Our search starts with the Toyota Venza (new), and the Infinity Q35 (pre-owned) . We visited approximately 5 dealerships the weekend previous to July 4th, 2011 - alot of test drives, alot of negotiations which were close, but not as satisfactory.

After not moving the needle as much as we had desired, my wife has an idea to check out the dealership of Mazda in Huntington Beach. We look at the Cx7 & Cx9 (new) and after test driving a few, she decides to look into the Cx7 as she was previously unfamiliar with the vehicle.

After mulling options over (blank check was good for up to 40k in financing, 4.1 APR) she decides to purchase the Mazda (24,900). We select a model, which has 13 miles on it - and though others (Venza, Infinity) were her chief desire, she believes that the decision was a good, more economical one. We (she) purchases the vehicle July 4th, 2011.

One month in, the front driver tire blows out on the 55 freeway in Costa Mesa. The car is driven to the dealer the next day - to have a tire placed on. The price was surely "surprise surprise" - $250.00. We push to know why the tire was so expensive, it's because the size is new for this size vehicle and there's one maker of the tire. Bridgestone. We pay for it begrudgingly, and go about our way.

Fast forward to February 6th, 2015, a shade over 3 years, 6 months of owning the vehicle. The vehicle history is good, maintenance is excellent (my wife is a therapist for children with autism so that's why vehicle choice was extremely important - traveling client to client in administering therapy sessions) and without warning, she cannot reverse.

She can drive forward, yet is losing power when the automatic attempts to shift from 1st to 2nd gear, so it jumps from first to 3rd.

We take the vehicle to Browning Mazda in Cerritos and we are advised that the transmission needs to be replaced ($3,200.00). 3 years 6 months 64,262 miles, excellent maintenance history, & this vehicle needs a NEW transmission? This felt like a terrible joke. The power train warranty? 3y/60k. Expired just over 4,000 miles ago.

If there's an engine issue, we usually receive a warning (ie - check engine light flashes on when the oil hits around 3,500) - yet for a failed transmission the vehicle took a dump without warning.

We contact Mazda (corporate) & are advised later in the day that they would pay half of the ticketed amount. That's still egregious as there wouldn't be a vehicle sold if most buyers knew that at such ridiculously low mileage, the transmission would fail them.

We retrieve the vehicle and have it looked at for two more opinions and apparently there are no codes indicating the transmission is bad, yet it's obviously the transmission according to the mechanic as indicated simply by the test drive.

One transmission mechanic wanted to advise us that Mazda contains many Ford parts, including the transmission and the parts itself. He opens a book, shows a Ford Escape transmission cover (as an example to start) & shows the transmission cover for a Mazda Cx7.

The covers??? Same shape. Same size. Same diameter. The only difference was the material each was made out of. He also advised us that Ford held a controlling stake in Mazda for a very long time and that Mazda in engine make up is similar to many Ford vehicles.

I'm thankful for such insight as now, my wife, she's apparently back to square one now & cannot trust a Mazda vehicle. We will just take it on the chin, pay the dealer, trade it in and get into the vehicle she wanted to originally (Toyota Venza) as it has a powertrain of 7y/100k, and we have another blank check and a few we are willing to pay more of a premium for now as opposed to settling (which appears now, that we did).

My advice, if you could help it remain in a Toyota (I drive a Lexus and plan to remain with Toyota) or Honda (my wife bought a Civic new in 2001, drove it to 2011 without issue, netting 170k miles before selling to a UCI college student, then purchasing this Mazda vehicle).

If my story helps you even a little bit, I am definitely thankful. This experience feels completely underhanded and we feel hoodwinked.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    I guess I am glad I didn't purchase that new '07 CX-5 years ago. The turbo lag at the time was really noticeable. I guess they fixed that later on. I imagine the turbo replacement would have been a given at this point for the most part.
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 48K Miles / '07 Infiniti G35x / '12 Lexus GX 460 / '00 Wrangler TJ 4.0L

'16 CX-9 Soul Red/Parchment , Touring

Direct injection is starting to get a lot or press lately. It seems there are some common problems with it (some designs) and has more to do with carbon deposits. I'm interested in looking into more recent news on this and the companies/motors afflicted, just seen a glimpse of it searching one day. I thought oil migration was the key term and problem but maybe there is more to it like a two-fold or three-fold problem.
    I'll post relevant information and cite the sources if I get any bites. Mine is still going fine but not sure if the noises are the same or louder.... and more importantly, are they 'normal' ?

As for the simplicity of changing the oil as mj80s mentions.... I'm not sure how mj would have missed the many many many owners with all the service history an records that have been left in the cold on this engine failing them. No doubt there are owners that don't take extra care or precautions and some that even neglect service needs but I think we've all read how MZ is not standing behind many of these failings for those that can and do provide the proof. The mfg claim (last I knew) were if there is sludge in there, it must have been lack of proper care and maintenance - even though the owner provides the records and the MZ dealer did all the work.
    Sorry, but they ought not be able to (get away with) have it both ways. As a customer perspective, the mfg is hiding behind the dealer service center if not out right blaming them (since one can show and prove the service history via the dealer) whereas the dealer can likely better provide the evidence that they've done all the work at the correct mileage therefore proving a poor design.
    '16 CX-9 AWD, Soul Red / Parchment, Touring (purchased demo with 4800 miles)

Quote Originally Posted by DreMo32 View Post
    (Newbie - my experience)
    Not for sure but I think you can find the transmission in yours is an F21 by Aisin yet I thought the Escape/Tribute had the CD4E by Ford. If so, they are 2 different animals and the CD4E (as far as I know) has a treacherous service record. I had an 02 Tribute and I loved everything about it but had serious trans probs. Got a buddy to do it up right and would have kept that thing forever aside from a minor oil leak that was not (to my mind) worth a big tear down and new gaskets cost of $1500 or more. Were it not for the burnt oil smell and being my wife's car, I'd have drove it til it turned to dust. I'm absolutely convinced my new tranny kit and rebuild fixed the initial problem as are often prevalent. These kits come with all the info to tell you why and how it failed (design issues) and how they modify it to work the way it should have. If indeed the two trans are different and the guy there doesn't know any better, by all means record that information and add it to the list of idiocy with MZ not backing you up on 100% warranty cover and free rental. I'd have parked that car there and told them I was going to the Bank to tell them I was robbed by a car dealer, then report them the the FTC and every other state and local rep you can get an ear from.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Well, the VVT issue finally reared it's head on my 2007 CX-7 GT. Mazda replaced my turbo in warranty for that issue but I was at 98K for the VVT so it's out of my pocket. Fortunately I had alerted my wife who is the one who drives it daily to let me know of ANY strange noises. Last Friday she said "it sounds like a diesel when it starts up". Gave it a listen and I knew it was probably the beginning of the VVT failure. Took it to Mazda dealer on Monday and they gave me a $1400 estimate and said it could be done in one day. Got a call a 3PM yesterday from service guy telling me he needed it another day. He knew I was familiar with the issue and told me "you've probably heard that there are parts that break off. They broke on yours and we need to pull the oil pan to fish them out". I consider myself fortunate that the pieces fell into the pan and didn't jam the chain and cause more damage. Final bill was $1546.85 including the oil pan R&R. Honestly, we still love driving this car, even with the issues. Yeah it takes premium gas and MPG isn't great but we still love the look of the car and it's paid for so I plan to keep driving it as long as possible. It sucks that Mazda won't step up and extend the warranty on this problem to 100K or even 125K. I've changed the oil religiously and feel like they should support owners better than they do on what is clearly a factory defect. I currently own a 2014 Mazda 6 and 2008 Mazda 3 so we're definitely a Mazda family. I wish everyone luck and the best advice I can give is the moment you hear the sound, stop driving and get it to the shop!

Registered Member

Mazda CX-7 2007 GT

I want to add my experience with my 2007 Mazda CX-7 GT also. About a year ago (around 74k miles) I started noticing engine clicking noise that's louder than when I got the car new in 2006. My local service garage (not the dealer) told me there is a known issue with engine valve sludging up, but it's just a noise issue and not something I need to worry about. Yesterday 4/9/2015 (with ~82k miles on the vehicle), I was driving my car to the garage for regular maintenance, and upon crossing some rail road tracks, the engine started making very loud clicking sounds and the engine lost much of its power output. It limped until I just got to the other side of the road from the garage and the engine stalled, check engine and battery light came on the dashboard. After the garage folks towed it in and checked on it, they reported valve and piston damage and the engine needs to be replaced. the repair would cost ~$8000 with a used engine from a salvage yard. In hindsight, if I had dealt with the earlier ticking noise (perhaps a $1500 repair), maybe the engine would have lasted longer. But in any case I am disappointed by the design defects we see on the CX-7 even though we love the overall design and concept.

I did finally did carry out my strategy on our 08 Mazda CX-7.
    The last few issues to resolve were getting a second key made on the cheap and feeling like ours was a bit noisy at the motor as well with just two months and approx 10 k miles of ext warranty left. We are at 94,700 miles and have owned it for 3 years with the odo start at just under 70k.

We had just the one key -The flip out type key fob remote and I've been wanting to get a regular chip key made just to have a spare. Got that done recently for $65 and was very pleased. This other key (had it been the only option) would have been extremely costly.

Earlier today, I took it to the dealer for the regular LOF and asked them to check it for a clicking noise in the motor. Not sure if it was getting louder or not but the more I've read here, the more I've wanted to see about any issues that I can find before warranty expires. We got a 36 month 36k miles plan called "High Tech" that covers almost everything.
    As most of you know or have reported....the MZR DISI 2.3 turbo had a number of issues that can crop up including turbo problems, Timing chain-VVT issues and oil 'sludge' build-up from poor design for oil migration.

I've been wanting this thing thoroughly checked out and (hopefully) catching something that needs attn before my ext warranty runs out in two months or 10,000 miles left. Sure thing, needs a new timing chain and a $300 hydraulic fluid filled motor mount that broke. About $1800 total or so and my out of pocket is either $100 total or $100 toward each. I suppose I'll find out next week when we drop it off and get a free loaner. I'll post again after everything is done to verify the work and results.

In the meantime, if anyone has any helpful hints or suggestions, please advise. I'm assuming they will have the motor tore down pretty good so is it natural to assume they will look for other problems or indicators of issues like sludge build up or at least clean and flush anything out ? Just not sure what to ask of them while they are 'in there' .
    Thanks in advance.

One other note , I put on some new tires before winter and they are Pirelli Scorpion Verde. Just wanted to mention they are working out well for a smooth quite ride and still decent traction in case anyone is considering new tires in the future. These should not disappoint anyone and you can see the criteria for comparison to others at TireRack.com .

Brian
    Last edited by bachman; 04-25-2015 at 02:26 AM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Well, here is my short-term update;

The timing chain was replaced and the fluid filled motor mount was as well. Interestingly, an earlier inquiry to the motor mount as covered on the ext warranty was denied at the other dealer location approx a year ago when first discovered.
    In this case two days ago, it was authorized as covered. The paperwork shows about an $84 amount for it and no details as to if it's the part or labor the dealer ended up doing but in my quote originally as not covered, it was approx a $400 fix my cost per p/l .
    Anyways, very happy all went smooth and the motor is def quieter.

One thing I've been contemplating is doing a test run on Shell Rotella Syn blend. It's a great rated oil and it's not expensive. I'm a bit leery on the black cruddy color of the oil that happens pretty early on after an o/c. I guess it's not abnormal for turbos.
    The dealer does the LOF under my 'plan' but I still think I'd like to run the motor on Rotella just to see how it does and check the mpg. I think we left the dealer with the odo at 94,840 or so.
    If I find anything interesting and worth posting on the Rotella, I will post it a few months down the line.

Happy zooming
    Last edited by bachman; 05-01-2015 at 02:58 AM.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-7

I purchased my 2008 CX-7 Grand Touring used from CarMax 3 years ago. In July 2014, the VVT system went out at 90,000 miles. Of course it was not covered through Mazda, however my extended warranty covered the cost. The car has been in and out of the shop 8 additional timed since then. Three of the four cylinders had to be replaced (one going out 50 miles after getting my car back from the shop), the transfer case needed to be replaced along with a host of other problems. Last week I hear a pop and a bunch noise form under the hood. Turns out I threw a rod that shot through the engine. The engine, starter, turbo, transmission, drive plate, etc. ALL have to be replaces at a cost of $16,000! My extended warranty will not pay because it exceeds the value of the car. I've maintained my car and have receipts to prove it...in fact, I had an oil change 4 days before this occurred. I'm now without a car, not to mention I'm still paying the car note...

Registered Member

My wife has a 2008 CX-7 Grand Touring. It had the VVT issue and we got it fixed at the dealer back in 2011 under warranty. I still have the receipt but it doesn't have the mileage on it. I think it was around 60K or so miles on it. Well the VVT noise is back again and we have just over 93K miles on the car now. Has anyone who got the VVT repair done at the dealership had the problem come back? If so were you successful in getting the dealer to take care of the problem again since it obviously wasn't fully fixed? We plan on trading it in in the next month or two and don't really want to pay money out of pocket to get it fixed, but if the dealer will cover it then I'd want to get it taken care of.

Mazdaspeed 6

Welp, you can put me in the "me too" category. My 2008 CX-7 is currently sitting at the dealer. I was told bad compression in #1 cylinder. I am looking at a massive repair bill after just having dropped thousands on this car over last summer to do the VVT and seals. I have a call into Mazda Customer Care, but my hopes are not high as the car is out of Certified Pre-Owned status on time and mileage. RIP CX-7.
    '08 Black CX-7 Sport
    '06 Titanium Gray Metallic Mazdaspeed6 GT.#1218

My Speed6 is registered- How 'bout yours? - ms6db.com

Good bye CX-7 -

Update on ours is that she was still doing fine at 117,000 but I felt like borrowed time was closing in. Last year or so was running through a little extra oil to the tune of adding 1/2 quart or so in the 600 mile range.

In search of test drives for my wife to find something she liked that offered 3rd row and rear camera, I thought we'd take our time and check out a 1/2 dozen ideas but it turns out even though she said she wanted something different, we went back to Mazda and picked out a CX-9 (2016) with 4700 miles on it.
    I'm thrilled because I wanted to seriously consider one and test drive them, yet she sounded un-enthused about getting another CX. All I can say is the CX-9 IS DIFFERENT in lots of ways.
    Gone is the slightly sportier feel and handling of the 7 but the trade off is a butter smooth ride , solid stable feel and quiet interior with doors that are nearly soundproof. It has a tad more body roll but it's found it's happy compromise IMO. So far so good with just a bit over a week into it. 310 ft of torque and a strong motor without the excessive turbo lag the other has.

Good luck to the future with the CX-7 clan.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jamie76 View Post
    Hello all,

I am posting to make users of this site aware of a site that I have created to assist current and previous owners of Mazda CX-7 vehicles with serious mechanical issues such as timing chain, VVT, engine sludge buildup, and turbo issues.

Please visit here:
    http://www.cx7problems.com

Our Story:

My wife and I purchased a new CX-7 in May of 2007 during it's initial launch. We wanted a crossover SUV and decided that CX-7 was our first choice. We purchased at Kings Mazda in Mason, OH and had a relatively average buying experience. I say average as our sales guy was cocky and very difficult to work with. We both drove it for the first 3 years and had no issues with vehicle. We took advantage of the free oil changes offered with our purchased and took excellent care of the vehicle.

In May of 2010, I was driving the vehicle on a short trip around town. On the way home, the vehicle shut down on a major road with no warning and was towed to a local Mazda dealership, Jake Sweeney Mazda, for inspection. The next day, I was told the timing chain had skipped time and there was damage to the cylinder head (valves) and I "needed a new engine". Mazda provided me with an $8000 quote for a re-manufactured engine and labor.

I immediately begin getting the corporate offices, Mazda North America, involved. Because I was 2000 miles over my power train warranty, I was denied any assistance from Mazda. I continued the fight through the Better Business Bureau and through the Attorney General's Office of my state which both turned out to be joke. Mazda refused to work with either and then simply left me by the wayside.

Fast forward two years and countless letters and phone calls later - I was surprised to receive a letter from Mazda North American admitting to the VVT problem in relation to timing. I was excited and I fell within the requirements specified by the SSP. I immediately contacted Mazda again to discuss the option of having my vehicle repaired at their cost. I was told, based on my previous conversations with them, that their decision stood and they could not help me. It was extremely disappointing and led me to take further action by creating this site.

Please join my fight and signup on the website. Our site is rapidly gaining popularity and has several hundred individuals signed up at the present date. We are close to reaching our goal to create a class-action suit against Mazda. Feel free to email me directly with questions or comments. I also welcome you to share your story with me.

Sincerely,

Jamie Hurley
    jamie.hurley@gmail.com
    where is this lawsuit to sign up i just bought one used and timing chain and turbo charger bad .. after some dumb broad totaled my impala the insurance money i was given was all i had to buy a car and bought this pos and now im screwed more

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12