Belt Squealing problem

Expell

:
2003 Mazda Protege 5 Hatchback
I've got an 03 P5, with new belts and T-belt done about 10,000km ago. I got a new battery last year and am located in Edmonton Alberta. whenever its a cold day (-15 and under) my alt belt squeals like no tomorrow for 15-30 seconds. the belt is tight and nothing on pulleys. I've been trying to brainstorm with guys at work and am thinking it could be the bearings on the alternator pulley? since its working so hard when its from a cold start? on a semi cold day no squeal. warm days same result. but when temp drops everyone in my neighborhood knows im going to work.

Does anyone have any input to my problem?
If you think the same as me is there a bigger alternator i could throw in as-well? (Have a sound-system and would like to compensate for that if needed)

Too much load? Headlights, heater(on high because it's cold), fog lights, stereo system(loud because the blower motor is roaring) +cold stiff bell = squeal. Mainly the cold stiff belt. Mine does the same thing. It's my understanding there is no higher output alternator available.

^ I remember Tweety told me to reach in and turn the belt at the top between the two pulleys. It should turn between 1/4 and 1/2 a turn. It's way easier to do that than trying to get in there to measure the belt deflection.

I have zero knowledge or experience about this part and I don't know anyone who used it, but I was interested in a higher-output alternator and I found this here supposedly 140-amp alternator while I was poking around. I bookmarked it because I was curious and interested - I'm not running any heavy-duty stereo systems or anything, but when I'm driving at night with headlights on, if I roll my (power) window up or down my headlights get visibly dimmer. I was trying to nudge it down an inch or so in short quick clicks of the button one night and someone thought I was flashing at them.

Last edited:
Could be a bad ground, once weather warms up I'm investing in a grounding kit to help with that as mine does the same thing but not as bad as you say yours is

Factory alt is more than enough for everything, you don't need to upgrade till you add a huge system

^ Yeah, that's what I was thinking. "There's no way the factory alternator isn't strong enough to power the *factory* electronics in this thing." But I also figured that having a huge amount of overhead to work with was just as good as having a normal amount of overhead.

Not interested enough to spend THAT much on it though. I have a looooot of grounds to look over.

I got one of the journeymen at my shop to check if i had my belt tight enough, and they said you always want to be able to move it around when twisting it alittle (1/4 of a turn), Im just concerned because it never happened last year. but i suppose with 2 amps and all my heat and a autostarter theres alot of power trying to be used.

Latest posts

Back