Front Cat Removal

itsjbeck

:
Pro5
looking for some info/guidance from anyone who has done this before.
it looks like i just have to remove the heat shield and start taking off bolts that attach the headers to the cat and then the same thing from the exhaust side. then put the new cat in and reverse the operation for the install.

any input would be appreciated!!

TIA!!

code was thrown. i had a misfire happening for a while and my mechanic friend said the misfire toasted the front cat. i since replaced the coil packs and it fixed the misfire, and now im code free. but being that he said the cat was in need of replacement i went ahead and ordered one.

-Remove the air intake funnel, there are two 10mm nuts to remove first.
-Remove the exhaust manifold heat shield.
-Undo the nuts for the catalytic converter that connect it to the exhaust manifold. There are six. Usually, the screw comes out with the nut.
-Remove the bolts that connect the exhaust manifold to the engine. Keep track of where the bolts were by putting them into a cardboard piece with a hole for each bolt. Precut out the holes in the cardboard in a rectangular pattern just like they are on the engine.
-Remove the exhaust manifold.
-From below, undo the nuts that connect the J-pipe to the catalytic converter. There are three.
-Remove the bolt that connects the catalytic converter bracket to the engine. Then, remove the bolt that connects the catalytic converter to the catalytic converter bracket.
-Replace the exhaust manifold to cat gasket and the cat to J-pipe gasket with new ones when doing this all in reverse.

Last edited:
No problem.
I was trying to locate an exhaust leak back in January, which turned out to be the gasket between the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter and a second leak at the donut gasket between the J-pipe and the second cat. That sucked. I'd like to recommend that you get a 1/2" breaker bar if you don't have one already.

im going to try to remember to take some pics when i do mine. maybe throw up a DIY as well...if i dont forget.

Back