Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Wheel weights

'14 AWD GT w/Tech

Not sure if it's the wheel, the tires, or a combo of both.

I'm going to mention it when I bring her in for the first service, but I expect I'll get the "nothing wrong with it" "totally normal" routine.

She rides very smooth right now with zero detectable shake in the steering wheel, so I don't think rebalancing is going to do much for me.

I'll just keep an eye on the tread wear as the tires start to wear.

'14 CX-5 GT w/Tech, Meteor Gray
    '05 BMW 330Ci ZHP 6MT, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers, Shadowline Grills, LED Interiors/Plate Lights, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete

Registered Member

CX-5 GT w/Tech

Seems to me when you have excessive weights as the tire wears the weights over compensate and cause uneven tire wear. Tires and wheels should match without a ton of weights. Could be the tires but regardless it is not a good match.

Quote Originally Posted by jtl View Post
    Seems to me when you have excessive weights as the tire wears the weights over compensate and cause uneven tire wear. Tires and wheels should match without a ton of weights. Could be the tires but regardless it is not a good match.
    That would only be the case if it is the tires causing the balance problem. If it is the wheels then as the tires wear it won't change. Because the weights would be compensating for the wheel, which won't change its weight distribution as the tire wears.

If you have only 2 weights on wheels to get them to balance then it is no different dynamically than requiring 16 weights once they are balanced. The forces applied to the wheel don't know the difference between a perfectly manufactured wheel with minimal weights or one manufactured to lower tolerances with a lot of weights.
    - The only difference is in one situation the weight is built into the wheel and the other it is attached to the wheel.
    Sure, I'd prefer mine to be built in but it still works either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayger12 View Post
    I'm going to mention it when I bring her in for the first service, but I expect I'll get the "nothing wrong with it" "totally normal" routine.
    Even if they did agree that it was wrong what would they do? It seems to be pretty standard across all the 19" wheels (although I haven't even looked at mine to see, so who knows) so where would they get replacement wheels that don't need as many weights?
    I haven't seen any complaints about uneven tire wear or any other problems that would be associated with balance problems so I'm not sure what there would be for them to fix

2014 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg

Quote Originally Posted by ta240 View Post
    T
    Even if they did agree that it was wrong what would they do? It seems to be pretty standard across all the 19" wheels (although I haven't even looked at mine to see, so who knows) so where would they get replacement wheels that don't need as many weights?
    I haven't seen any complaints about uneven tire wear or any other problems that would be associated with balance problems so I'm not sure what there would be for them to fix
    How about no-charge balancing for the length of our warranty?

I've had a slight vibration from the front end since I've owned the CX-5 (2 weeks now). Brought it back within 2 days of delivery to get it checked out and the diagnosis was that there's nothing wrong, it's just me needing to get used to a different vehicle. I'll be bringing it back for the complimentary 1000 mile service and will force the issue that the front wheels need to be rebalanced. The left front not only has a string (more than 15) of adhesive weights but also a big weight on the innermost part of the wheel.
    All In The Family
    2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT w/PP
    2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD Touring w/PP
    2016 Mazda3 Touring -
    RETIRED (replaced w/2019 CX-5 Touring)
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
    2014 BMW E84 xDrive28i - RETIRED (replaced w/2019 CX-5 GT)
    2013 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
    2013 Mazda MZD3i FWD GT w/Tech Pkg
    2009 BMW E90 328xi - RETIRED (replaced w/2014 E84)

2007 BMW E92 328i - RETIRED (replaced w/2014 CX-5)

having them balanced from the start is good and I can see getting it done if there is a vibration but my question still stands:

Can anyone explain why more weights would cause a wheel to go out of balance over time more than one that took less weights?

I'm no expert but I don't see how the laws of physics would care if the weight is attached to the wheel or part of the wheel.

It might make it more challenging to balance the first time and if you get someone that isn't good or is lazy it wouldn't be good. But I've had wheel/tire combos that vibrated from new and had very few weights attached. I like to find places that have road force balancers to do my tires now and have better luck.

Registered Member IHeartGroceries's Avatar

Mazdaspeed6

I've got nearly 17K miles on my CX-5. I have rotated the tires twice now myself. Wear looks even, and minimal. There is no shudder in the steering, and bouncing in the body. It is smooth.
    I'm going to take a closer look at the number of weights used on my wheels.

Perhaps I missed it, but is this issue more common on the 19's than the 17's? Or is it an issue with both?

New Ride - 2013 Ford Taurus SHO, 402A & Perf. Pkg., S4 93 Oct Livernois tuned, weekend warrior
    2013 CX-5 Touring w/ Tech, wife's car
    1972 Chevrolet C-10 Custom 350/350, work horse
    2002 Dodge Neon SXT, commuter
    1967 Buick Skylark - 300/300, cruiser

Mazda CX-5 '14 GTw/Tech

Quote Originally Posted by IHeartGroceries View Post
    I've got nearly 17K miles on my CX-5. I have rotated the tires twice now myself. Wear looks even, and minimal. There is no shudder in the steering, and bouncing in the body. It is smooth.
    I'm going to take a closer look at the number of weights used on my wheels.

Perhaps I missed it, but is this issue more common on the 19's than the 17's? Or is it an issue with both?
    That is s great question.

GT w/19's here and lots of wheel weights.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD - Black

I have never checked my car for wheel weights and since I really am just getting into the hobby in general being a younger guy I would love if someone would better explain what to look for and what they look like. I have a 2014 GT so 19 in wheels for me

Quote Originally Posted by New CX-5 View Post
    I have never checked my car for wheel weights and since I really am just getting into the hobby in general being a younger guy I would love if someone would better explain what to look for and what they look like. I have a 2014 GT so 19 in wheels for me
    These will be found on the inside of your rim.

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD 2.0L

Quote Originally Posted by IHeartGroceries View Post

My 17's came from the factory with 11, 13, 4 and 2 (weights per wheel) which is reasonable. If I had 18 weights I would ask the dealer to see if they could improve the situation by breaking the beads and rotating the tire on the rim 180 degrees. Either that or bring it back for a re-balance at the tires half-life. That way, if they refuse and it becomes a real issue with tire wear, it might be a Mazda warranty issue, not a pro-rated tire warranty issue (since the tire manufacturer did not mount and balance the tires). I would do anything to avoid having to claim on a tire manufacturers warranty.

Registered Member

I was curious how many weights my '14 GT had.

Going clockwise from driver, 18,6, 8 and 3. On the highway the other day, I did feel a noticeable shake/feedback from the steering wheel. I thought it might have been the road surface, but this makes more sense.

'14 AWD GT w/Tech

^I would have them rebalance the wheels or otherwise diagnose and correct the shake. No excuse for a brand new vehicle with wheel shake.

Quote Originally Posted by elite3000 View Post
    I was curious how many weights my '14 GT had.

Going clockwise from driver, 18,6, 8 and 3. On the highway the other day, I did feel a noticeable shake/feedback from the steering wheel. I thought it might have been the road surface, but this makes more sense.
    Thanks for validating what I've been feeling.

Today, I completed the survey that Mazda NA sends out and even though I gave my dealer all 10's, I commented about this issue when asked if everything is OK after delivery.

'14 AWD GT w/Tech

Quote Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
    Today, I completed the survey that Mazda NA sends out and even though I gave my dealer all 10's, I commented about this issue when asked if everything is OK after delivery.
    Same here.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast