Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wheel weights

Registered Member IHeartGroceries's Avatar

Mazdaspeed6

Have to admit...18 is pretty crazy.
    But with proper maintenance and care, my comment still stands.

And there are many Chinese manufactured parts on your CX-5, beyond just your wheels...

FWIW, I can't recall, even though I have rotated my tires twice now myself, how many weights are installed on my wheels. Nothing excessive, I am sure (like 18), otherwise, I would've noted it.

New Ride - 2013 Ford Taurus SHO, 402A & Perf. Pkg., S4 93 Oct Livernois tuned, weekend warrior
    2013 CX-5 Touring w/ Tech, wife's car
    1972 Chevrolet C-10 Custom 350/350, work horse
    2002 Dodge Neon SXT, commuter
    1967 Buick Skylark - 300/300, cruiser

2014 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg

Maybe not an issue as long as the wheels are balanced but what about those places that charge for each weight applied? Maybe they'll see a CX-5 pull up to their shop and BAM!, someone just realized they will be able to take that Caribbean Island vacation after doing a rotate and balance.....
    All In The Family
    2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT w/PP
    2016 Mazda3 Touring

2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
    2014 BMW E84 xDrive28i - RETIRED (replaced w/2019 CX-5)
    2013 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
    2013 Mazda MZD3i FWD GT w/Tech Pkg
    2009 BMW E90 328xi - RETIRED (replaced w/2014 E84)

2007 BMW E92 328i - RETIRED (replaced w/2014 CX-5)

Donated: $15

2013 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech (Mar'12-Jul'14)

Quote Originally Posted by Bopper View Post
    These 19's are MADE IN CHINA. Says so right on the back.

Like nearly all cast aftermarket wheels, (made in China).

Registered Member

CX-5 GT w/Tech

Quote Originally Posted by darekd View Post
    Five weights, 10 weights or 100, why does it matter? You have to look for the weights to see them. Just relax and enjoy your car.
    The reason it matters is because it is indicative of poor quality. Maybe you don't care but I do. I have custom built a few homes in my life and I spent as almost as much time taking care of things that you don't see behind the walls as what you do see.

Registered Member IHeartGroceries's Avatar

Mazdaspeed6

Quote Originally Posted by CX-SV View Post
    Like nearly all cast aftermarket wheels, (made in China).
    You mean like nearly EVERYTHING.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Quote Originally Posted by IHeartGroceries View Post
    You mean like nearly EVERYTHING.
    Yes, doesn't give me much cause for concern.

Registered Member

CX-5 GT w/Tech

Actually, there are some very good products made in China but these wheels are not one of them. Are any of you old enough to remember the junk that was made in Japan in the 60's and 70's? Mazda had the opportunity to make sure they were right and dropped the ball.

I guess I could look to see how many wheel weights are mounted on my OEM 19's, but I have no reason to bother.

The wheels have an excellent finish and zero vibration at speeds 0 to 90 mph. I am very happy with the wheel/tire combo and associated ride/handling/NVH considering this is a compact SUV. I have no plans to go aftermarket and will consider having wheels refinished for custom look later.

Registered Member

CX-5 GT w/Tech

^ To each their own. I will stand by my original statement there is something wrong when 18 weights are needed to balance a wheel and tire combo.

^ Yes a high number of weights, I wonder if match-mounting of wheel and tire was used to minimize added weights.

'14 AWD GT w/Tech

Quote Originally Posted by jtl View Post
    ^ To each their own. I will stand by my original statement there is something wrong when 18 weights are needed to balance a wheel and tire combo.
    This.

I'm not trashing the vehicle. I'm very happy with it as a total package- just as I'm thrilled with my German slot car that needs a piece of garbage seal replaced every 20k miles.

But that doesn't mean I'm happy about having to replace seals and bushings in a $50k car every 20k miles...

18 wheel weights sucks any way you slice it.

'14 CX-5 GT w/Tech, Meteor Gray
    '05 BMW 330Ci ZHP 6MT, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers, Shadowline Grills, LED Interiors/Plate Lights, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete

Registered Member

CX-5 GT w/Tech

Kayger,
    There are also weights on the inside of the rim, the older type that clamp on to the edge of the rim. At least I found them on mine. Mazda has obviously had a major issue trying to balance the 19" wheels. The more I think about it the more irritated I get. This would have been a deal buster for me. The wheels are junk, pure and simple. Expensive junk I might add.

'14 AWD GT w/Tech

I'll have to look for those. Pretty comical when I have more wheel weights on one wheel of the CX-5 than on the other 8 wheels of the other vehicles I own combined.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

CX-5 GT w/Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Kayger12 View Post
    I'll have to look for those. Pretty comical when I have more wheel weights on one wheel of the CX-5 than on the other 8 wheels of the other vehicles I own combined.
    I wonder if anyone has taken their car to a shop and had the wheels re-balanced. The dealer offered to have service do it for me but they are quite a ways away. I don't think this is a warranty issue at this point so another dealer would likely charge me. Doesn't seem like too many people on this forum even care, which I find puzzling considering the obsession with lesser things. Personally, I think this could be a problem asthe tires wear, in fact it may even cause them to wear prematurely.

how can it cause the tires to wear prematurely?
    Yes it isn't great that it takes more weights but once the weights are in place it is balanced just like a wheel that only takes 4 weights to balance. The weights have corrected for the weight not being correct on the wheel to start with.

If you aren't experiencing any problems with the tires then why rebalance? Especially when the person that redoes it might not do as good of a job as is currently done.

Good question on the match balance. I've even heard before that if it takes a lot of weights it is a good idea to pop the tire loose and rotate it 180 and try again.
    Are we certain it is the wheels and not the tires that are at fault?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast