Wheel weights

Got the response from Mazda this morning. Essentially what we were expecting:

Thank you for contacting Mazda.

In reference to your email I would recommend taking your vehicle to the nearest authorized Mazda dealership that way they can inspect your tires.

Please note I have documented your email and the file number that references your email is xxxx.

Should you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Morgan
Representative, Customer Assistance
Mazda North American Operations

I'll mention it when she's in for her first service so they can tell me it's normal and fine.

Here are the "wheel imbalance" specifications from the service manual:

17" wheels:

(g {oz})
Adhesive-type*1:
13 {0.46} max.
Knock-type*2:
8 {0.3} max.

19" wheels:

Adhesive-type*1:
12 {0.42} max.
Knock-type*2:
7 {0.2} max.
*1 Do not install three or more weights. Do not affix the weights such that they are parallel to each other or overlapping. The total weight of all the weights is 160 g {5.64 oz} or less. *2 Do not install three or more weights. One weight is 60 g {2.1 oz} or less and two weights are 100 g {3.53 oz} or less.

source: (you have to disable javascript for the link to work)
http://am.mazdaserviceinfo.com/emaz...3/CX5/mv/books/mvw02/html/id021200800100.html

I'm not sure I see what the issue is...

The weights have likely successfully counter balanced whatever imperfections in the tire/wheel, valve stem, whatever...

If you're maintaining your tire wear, not flat spoting the tires, assuming suspension alignment is in spec, tires aren't abused (inflation), they should wear evenly and not become unbalanced.

^My issue is one of unhappiness with the quality of the wheels.

A line of 18 wheel weights seems excessive to me and an indication of a poorly manufactured wheel.

I agree with Kayger. Wheel weights are supposed to correct minor imbalances with the wheel tire combo not to rebuild the wheel. Furthermore with brand new OEM combinations there should not be hardly any correction necessary since they were engineered to work.

I agree with Kayger. Wheel weights are supposed to correct minor imbalances with the wheel tire combo not to rebuild the wheel. Furthermore with brand new OEM combinations there should not be hardly any correction necessary since they were engineered to work.

+1

In the past, I've had to return to the shop that balanced my wheels because the technician didn't pay close enough attention to properly balance the wheel. With the high number of weights needed to balance the CX-5 GT wheels, I can just imagine how many times I'll have to return to get them balanced correctly.

Last edited:
Five weights, 10 weights or 100, why does it matter? You have to look for the weights to see them. Just relax and enjoy your car.

Have to admit...18 is pretty crazy.
But with proper maintenance and care, my comment still stands.

And there are many Chinese manufactured parts on your CX-5, beyond just your wheels...

FWIW, I can't recall, even though I have rotated my tires twice now myself, how many weights are installed on my wheels. Nothing excessive, I am sure (like 18), otherwise, I would've noted it.

Maybe not an issue as long as the wheels are balanced but what about those places that charge for each weight applied? Maybe they'll see a CX-5 pull up to their shop and BAM!, someone just realized they will be able to take that Caribbean Island vacation after doing a rotate and balance.....

Five weights, 10 weights or 100, why does it matter? You have to look for the weights to see them. Just relax and enjoy your car.

The reason it matters is because it is indicative of poor quality. Maybe you don't care but I do. I have custom built a few homes in my life and I spent as almost as much time taking care of things that you don't see behind the walls as what you do see.

Actually, there are some very good products made in China but these wheels are not one of them. Are any of you old enough to remember the junk that was made in Japan in the 60's and 70's? Mazda had the opportunity to make sure they were right and dropped the ball.

I guess I could look to see how many wheel weights are mounted on my OEM 19's, but I have no reason to bother.

The wheels have an excellent finish and zero vibration at speeds 0 to 90 mph. I am very happy with the wheel/tire combo and associated ride/handling/NVH considering this is a compact SUV. I have no plans to go aftermarket and will consider having wheels refinished for custom look later.

^ To each their own. I will stand by my original statement there is something wrong when 18 weights are needed to balance a wheel and tire combo.

^ Yes a high number of weights, I wonder if match-mounting of wheel and tire was used to minimize added weights.

Back