Familia Sport20

I found the following on http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

"One basis for determining a motor vehicle eligible for importation is that it
1) is substantially similar to a motor vehicle of the same model year that was manufactured for sale in the
United States and certified by its manufacturer as complying with all applicable FMVSS and 2) is capable of
being readily altered to comply with all applicable FMVSS. See 49 U.S.C. 30141(a)(1)(A"

I wonder what "readily altered" means? Since the Sport20 is LHD, I dont think thats going to need modifying. Probably emissions is all in this case. Newer catalytic converter or something??? The BMWs that were made for over here had massive plastic/rubber bumpers IIRC, that could mean some mods may need to be made. But then im sure that you can remove them after its been okayed for importation??

I wonder what "readily altered" means? Since the Sport20 is LHD, I dont think thats going to need modifying. Probably emissions is all in this case. Newer catalytic converter or something??? The BMWs that were made for over here had massive plastic/rubber bumpers IIRC, that could mean some mods may need to be made. But then im sure that you can remove them after its been okayed for importation??

The sport2.0 is RHD...... That's why you find it in country's that have RHD vehicles such as Australia , Japan n parts of Europe. Not in North America

Last edited:
So, Brian, after importing the car from Japan in 3 pieces, did you just weld them back together? It seems like that would mess with the structural integrity.

No, Not Possible.

The car you see in his sig is a Protege5 that just happens to be the same color. As stated earlier, Brian's mate binned the chassis due to the parts and whatnot not matching up. I dont know all of the parts Brian took from the Sport20 but, and correct me if I'm wrong Brian, he's got the rear bumper- its a good deal lighter than the regular P5 bumper. Its way more shallow and whatnot.

Yes

SPORT-20-3.jpg

What about converting it to LHD? Would it be possible if I have a P5 donor car? Are the 2 cars just too different?

The front suspension and steering rack are attached to the front and center diff.

There are no common parts here..

What about converting it to LHD? Would it be possible if I have a P5 donor car? Are the 2 cars just too different?

Listen to what Brian says, if he says not possible it's not possible. At least without a s**t ton of money. Not worth it period . Just buy a wrx or some other awd car

Oops on the RHD/LHD. I had a brainfart.

And I second that unfortunately. Sad but true. Its not worth it most likely. Would love to see it done, but you would have to be exceedingly dedicated.

Oops on the RHD/LHD. I had a brainfart.

And I second that unfortunately. Sad but true. Its not worth it most likely. Would love to see it done, but you would have to be exceedingly dedicated.

U would also prob have to have I bet around 10 to 15 k to do it... That price alone would turn off most people on this forum. But there's always someone who will do it to say they were the only one who could do it

Well, I have a ton of money and I am not interested in doing it... that should tell you how much of a waste it would be.

Well, I have a ton of money and I am not interested in doing it... that should tell you how much of a waste it would be.

Brian, you've probably answered this question before, but if you have a "ton of money," why a protege5? Why not like an M3 or a WRX or something?

Well he's had the car since 2002 I don't think he had a ton of money back then ? (Correct me if I'm wrong) . I think he fell for the car like most of us on the forum

Brian, you've probably answered this question before, but if you have a "ton of money," why a protege5? Why not like an M3 or a WRX or something?

I have a great job, no kids, my wife has a great job and we both love Mazda.

If I wanted any other car, I would just go buy it.

I would rather have the most insane Protege 5 on the planet, than just be some other Queer with a Bolt on Mustang.

Im sure its that and using a platform not many others have modded to the level you have Brian? Uniqueness :)

I have a bolt on mustang... O wait I hate it :D

I could go on and on as to why I wouldn't build an m3 or wrx...

But ill having something special starting this winter. It's not about stating out with an awesome car, its making a pos an awesome car

You calling the protege a pos? ;) I kid of course. It's got its ups and downs. Every car does.

You calling the protege a pos? ;) I kid of course. It's got its ups and downs. Every car does.

Pretty much in stock form yes, handling is awesome but its so slow. none of my friends believed me till I took a video. Now its a good laugh when were bored. Of course being a yellow mp3 it just screams race me

Of course with previous owners maintnence history, a really bad wreck ( not on car fax so idk how bad) I'm not sure how its made it this far, I'm actually proud of it

Yeah, fair enough. I'm not complaining though. It's a nice car and its my first car :)

Do you have a link to said video, or is it not online?

Back