My back wheels are squeeking after i replaced my calipers

M2P503

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Hey guys just as the title says my back wheels are squeaking after i replaced the calipers does any one know why? I also replaced the brake pads to so its not the break warning indicator clip so scratch that idea. Also when i removed the lugnuts off the car my Back wheels where siezed and wouldn't come off the car does any one know why? Break fluid leaking maybe?

Last edited:
check your break fluid reservoir above the brake booster to see if you're losing fluid, but it doesn't sound like you're losing fluid.
Wheels being seized on the hubs is pretty normal from my experience- the hubs get rusty and the wheels just sort of want to stick to them, happens to me sometimes.
If you use a c-clamp to depress the rear calipers on a p5/ES you'll ruin the caliper. The pistons need to be retracted by removing a bolt on the back of the caliper that's covering a gear that you stick an allen wrench in, and turning it (counter clockwise?) will retract the piston.
I did the allen wrench thing... then i scrapped my calipers/rotors and put the full set up from a 2007 mazda6 on my car... which is awesome, but when i put the new set up on the rear rotors rubbed the pads for a while and made a bit of a ringing sound while driving. It went away after a while, so maybe you're will too.
I'm pretty tired right now and i'm sure i could have worded that better, but you can search around for the stuff i mentioned (ruined caliper after c-clamp... normal noise after changing pads/calipers... that wheel being stuck thing) and you'll probably find some guy who wasn't as tired as me answering some other guy's problem eh?
now: me sleepy.

check your break fluid reservoir above the brake booster to see if you're losing fluid, but it doesn't sound like you're losing fluid.
Wheels being seized on the hubs is pretty normal from my experience- the hubs get rusty and the wheels just sort of want to stick to them, happens to me sometimes.
If you use a c-clamp to depress the rear calipers on a p5/ES you'll ruin the caliper. The pistons need to be retracted by removing a bolt on the back of the caliper that's covering a gear that you stick an allen wrench in, and turning it (counter clockwise?) will retract the piston.
I did the allen wrench thing... then i scrapped my calipers/rotors and put the full set up from a 2007 mazda6 on my car... which is awesome, but when i put the new set up on the rear rotors rubbed the pads for a while and made a bit of a ringing sound while driving. It went away after a while, so maybe you're will too.
I'm pretty tired right now and i'm sure i could have worded that better, but you can search around for the stuff i mentioned (ruined caliper after c-clamp... normal noise after changing pads/calipers... that wheel being stuck thing) and you'll probably find some guy who wasn't as tired as me answering some other guy's problem eh?
now: me sleepy.
Ok thanks man ill look into it

What exactly is squeaking? Is it over bumps, when you hit the brakes? If its all the time does it stop when you do certain things?

I don't have a fix for the squeaking brakes but to prevent the wheels from sticking to the hub from the hub rusting, apply a little anti seize to the face of the hub. Don't over do it, just a light coating on the hub and maybe on the mating face on the back of the wheel. I do it whenever I switch my winter/summer tires over and they never get stuck. Just don't get anti seize on the lugs.

I don't have a fix for the squeaking brakes but to prevent the wheels from sticking to the hub from the hub rusting, apply a little anti seize to the face of the hub. Don't over do it, just a light coating on the hub and maybe on the mating face on the back of the wheel. I do it whenever I switch my winter/summer tires over and they never get stuck. Just don't get anti seize on the lugs.

Regular grease works too...

News Brake Pads installed into old/used Brake Rotors will cause your brakes to squeal...definately.

i don't think new pads on old rotors will definitely cause squeaking- When i changed my brake set up, i used old rusty rotors from a junk yard and then brake fluid decided to go all over them. They squeaked for a week (not really a squeak, more of a ringing sound from the pads bumping into the rotors while moving) but now they're fine- no noise at all (brand new, super cheap advance auto pads).

...need to know when it's squeaking, like tweety asked eh?

Umm you should clean any rotors with brake clean before puting it back together. Especially when fluids or grease are on them

News Brake Pads installed into old/used Brake Rotors will cause your brakes to squeal...definately.
Thanks north42G i did install new brake pads but there's this stupid Allen Key screw in the back of the Caliper that contracts back and forth to move the caliper piston up and down in order to install new brake pads, now my question is this is it possible that the Allen screw is screwed in to tight causing a Squeaking noise to occur? How tight does the Allen Screw have to be ? Is it the same lefty loosey righty tighty method? Because my Allen screw just falls right out =-((pukey)

Last edited:
Did you adjust the park brakes?

Hey Brian when i installed the new Brake caliper on the drivers side rear of the car i did remove the E- brake cable to install the new brake caliper but no i did not have to adjust the parking brake cable that your talking about because the E-brake cable just clipped right in . Although i have to say when i put my E-brake cable on i have to pull the handle all the way back in order to stop the car from rolling lol i don't know if that's a good thing or not but i don't have any problems personally with it.

The screw has a gear on the end of it, too tight will cause them to warp and may squeal. Turn it in till the pads grip the rotor when you spin in then back it out 1/3 of a turn.

Leave the ebrake down when doing this

The screw has a gear on the end of it, too tight will cause them to warp and may squeal. Turn it in till the pads grip the rotor when you spin in then back it out 1/3 of a turn.

Leave the ebrake down when doing this
Are you saying that the E-break cable has a gear on the end of it that you can self adjust ? or are you talking about that Allen key screw that adjust the caliper piston back and forth?

What exactly is squeaking? Is it over bumps, when you hit the brakes? If its all the time does it stop when you do certain things?
I think its my rear rotors there's a lip on the outside so the new break pads that i put on there are causing a ringing noise to happen

Are you saying that the E-break cable has a gear on the end of it that you can self adjust ? or are you talking about that Allen key screw that adjust the caliper piston back and forth?

The little Allen screw in the caliper...

Jack the rear wheels up and make sure you release the e-brake, spin each wheel manually and see if you can locate the source of the squeeling.

Jack the rear wheels up and make sure you release the e-brake, spin each wheel manually and see if you can locate the source of the squeeling.
Thanks man yeah i did jack the car up as of right now i dont think its the E-break cable its definitely the outer Rotor lip ringing against the new pads

Back