short shifter preferences?

TWM has a new knob out that supposedly addresses some of those concerns. Here is a link to it, the phantom knob. I think it's a pretty sweet name haha.

I really wish I could try a weighted shift knob locally to see if it is really worth it. 150 dollars is a lot of money for a knob!

The weighted knobs do feel really nice, especially with a short shifter...helps put it in to gear a little easier. I actually made myself shift knobs out of lathed/finished/tapped maple for the winter time - the do not get anywhere near as cold as the metal ones. They are not weighted, but warm up very fast, which is nice in winter! Or march...when it's still snowing...(notcool)

I have a metal knob, its only cold for a few minutes. It's not winter that bothers me its summer, ill probly buy a sick to put over it

I had a metal shift knob on my Neon. It was heavy, it had blue LED's under the gear-pattern, and it got stupid hot in summertime. I kept an old Mechanix glove (whose mate had gotten soaked in antifreeze and started leaching black dye from the leather onto my hands every time I used it) in the door panel so that I could cover the knob in summer and minimize the second-degree burns, and also to cover the LED glow at night (because it was ridiculously bright, and I was an idiot and wired it without a switch). Me, I'd much prefer a nice heavyweight leather-wrapped shift knob if I install a short shifter.

TL;DR - a mismatched glove is perfect for this, if you like metal shift knobs.

When I had my WRX, I ran a Prodrive knob that was metal. Purchased baby socks and used them as a knob sock. Worked great in the searing hot summers in FL:

IMG_3525.jpg

IMG_3526.jpg

When I had my WRX, I ran a Prodrive knob that was metal. Purchased baby socks and used them as a knob sock. Worked great in the searing hot summers in FL:

IMG_3525.jpg

IMG_3526.jpg

Haha that's awesome! Great idea you got there..

I was thinking about just throwing a hat over it until I need to use it, but I also agree that summers would bother me much more than winters (unless I have wet hands and they stick :eek: )

I went with the OBX (Thanks again Evan!) - and have loved every minute since I bought it.

Honestly - I could go for a little shorter throw - but there a point of no return that it just makes shifting harder and doesn't give much more benefit.

I'll stick with the OBX - save the money a TWM would cost me for the rest of the power-making-goodies.

Ya I've seen what happens to the obx in cold weather... I can tell you that for a Honda they're hollow

Where did you get just the shifter and not the whole kit? When i looked at TWM website i found an adaptor and a complete kit for 494.00 - thought someone had said they got it for around 200

Back