CX-5 Trunk Area Rattle

Another TSB has shown up. Could be alignment of the lock latch causing the two corners by the taillights to rattle. Ask your dealer about said TSB.

I am hearing a similar rattle in the rear cargo area of my CX5 that I purchased last summer. I do not hear the rattler all the time, primarily when going over larger bumps at lower speed. The rattle seems to be more prevalent when the rear passenger tire hits the bump but does also occur with the rear driver side but it seems a little quieter. I checked the rear seat latches, still occurs with seats down, as well as the spare tire, and everything seems held securely. I do not have a cargo cover so I am pretty sure that it is coming from the rear hatch but need to take it in to have the dealer look at it, I'll probably need to do the test drive with them.

My rear hatch latch was adjusted at 15K mile service in February. Before fixing, the noise was hard for me to isolate by area. Regardless, the noise is now gone.

That could be the rattle that I keep hearing from the back. Thanks for the TSB.

Somebody should really make a sticky thread with all the TSBs.

Last edited:
Yep! that was it! HATCH HATCH HATCH!!! finally my cx-5 is silent back there!

Last edited:
Looking at the TSB, it looks like something that it can be done fairly easy so I don't know if it would be worth it to take it to the dealership.

Looking at the TSB, it looks like something that it can be done fairly easy so I don't know if it would be worth it to take it to the dealership.

I fixed mine last night. Very easy to do. I wish I had looked at it closer sooner.

On the bumper metal trunk latch, there is a plastic piece that is clipped in around it. I popped it out easily with a flat head screwdriver. Then using a 12mm socket I loosened the 2 bolts holding the metal latch in place and moved the latch to the extreme most position closest to the interior of the car and tightened the bolts back down. Now the trunk closes nice and tight and no more rattles of the rear hatch. Also the cabin seems quieter also, I think there might have been a small air gap as well previously.

I cannot get a fix for my trunk rattle. I removed all the interior panels and applied a ton of foam tape where there is metal to plastic contact, I adjusted the lift gate latch as shown on the tsb, checked the license plate, removed all items from the trunk, checked the spare and spare tire cover, lower control arm for pebbles and still rattles. If I go over 40mph there's no rattle even on bumps. anything below 40mph it rattles on every bump. sounds like metal to plastic but it sounds like it's focused in the right rear trunk area but sort of hard to pin point. if anyone has any suggestions that work, I'll mail you $20, no joke.

Have you placed an "informant" back there and driven around at that speed to see if he/she can locate the noise?

turned out to be the bumper. there's two brackets holding the bumper and one fastener was loose. I guess when I was loading something i must have pushed it in to the point where it loosened the bracket and fastener. bent it away from the vehicle and adjusted the fastener so it doesn't wiggle and no noise. makes sense as to why it would only rattle at low speeds. the air at higher speeds probably stabilized it so it wouldn't hit the metal bracket.

^ 2nd that, thanks for letting us know about fix.

btw - Is the bumper cover ok?

yeah, cover is fine. flimsy. it's just plastic with no sort of foam or cushion behind it. it just hovers over the metal part of the frame. there's a gap but not the most practical design because if you get hit in the back, I can see alot of damage being done. Usually see some thick foam on the front and rear bumpers.

I also spent several trips without spare tire and jack tools and with covers off the rear trying to pin point a very loud rattle on mine. My rattle is more to the rear passenger side and either is coming from the rear shock absorber or the exhaust manifold. It is definitely a heavy clanking rattle and not tapping plastic and not rocks bouncing inside! Also with rear door open rattle did not get louder. Mine is coming from underneath between the rear wheel well and midsection below the spare tire.

Last edited:
Good day, my CX-5 is also having the rattling noise, which I suspect is coming out from the Left Rear side. Could you explain to me where the hatch latch is and what has been done to fix your rattling noise? Not very good in cars.

Thx in advance.

S

I have had a rattle in rear of vehicle which drove me nuts. Could not pinpoint the location after several attempts.

I looked into the bumper mounts, lift gate being loose, took apart all plastics from the rear compartment, rear plastic spoiler, etc. Nothing helped.

Finally, it was able to determine that it was caused by loose middle folding seat. The locking mechanism did rattle when in contact with metal bracket in adjacent seat. Great relief!

It was so hard to locate as the sound seemed to come from somewhere in very rear of the vehicle.

Sorry for bumping old thread but hope that it might help someone with 13-16 CX5.

Back