Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CX-5 Trunk Area Rattle

Registered Member

2014 mazda cx5 awd touring

I cannot get a fix for my trunk rattle. I removed all the interior panels and applied a ton of foam tape where there is metal to plastic contact, I adjusted the lift gate latch as shown on the tsb, checked the license plate, removed all items from the trunk, checked the spare and spare tire cover, lower control arm for pebbles and still rattles. If I go over 40mph there's no rattle even on bumps. anything below 40mph it rattles on every bump. sounds like metal to plastic but it sounds like it's focused in the right rear trunk area but sort of hard to pin point. if anyone has any suggestions that work, I'll mail you $20, no joke.

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

Have you placed an "informant" back there and driven around at that speed to see if he/she can locate the noise?

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD 2.0L

Quote Originally Posted by bigmike77 View Post
    it sounds like it's focused in the right rear trunk area but sort of hard to pin point. if anyone has any suggestions that work, I'll mail you $20, no joke.
    Sounds like you need one of these:

http://www.autobarn.net/xxxw-ste6600.html

Registered Member

turned out to be the bumper. there's two brackets holding the bumper and one fastener was loose. I guess when I was loading something i must have pushed it in to the point where it loosened the bracket and fastener. bent it away from the vehicle and adjusted the fastener so it doesn't wiggle and no noise. makes sense as to why it would only rattle at low speeds. the air at higher speeds probably stabilized it so it wouldn't hit the metal bracket.

2014 CX-5 Touring

Thanks for posting the result!

Donated: $15

2013 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech (Mar'12-Jul'14)

^ 2nd that, thanks for letting us know about fix.

btw - Is the bumper cover ok?

Registered Member

yeah, cover is fine. flimsy. it's just plastic with no sort of foam or cushion behind it. it just hovers over the metal part of the frame. there's a gap but not the most practical design because if you get hit in the back, I can see alot of damage being done. Usually see some thick foam on the front and rear bumpers.

Registered Member

mazda, cx5, 2013

I also spent several trips without spare tire and jack tools and with covers off the rear trying to pin point a very loud rattle on mine. My rattle is more to the rear passenger side and either is coming from the rear shock absorber or the exhaust manifold. It is definitely a heavy clanking rattle and not tapping plastic and not rocks bouncing inside! Also with rear door open rattle did not get louder. Mine is coming from underneath between the rear wheel well and midsection below the spare tire.
    Last edited by steveeking; 07-22-2013 at 01:11 AM. Reason: better explanation

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5

Good day, my CX-5 is also having the rattling noise, which I suspect is coming out from the Left Rear side. Could you explain to me where the hatch latch is and what has been done to fix your rattling noise? Not very good in cars.

Thx in advance.

S

'14.5 CX-5 Touring AWD, Soul Red | '14 CX-5 Touring AWD White

I have had a rattle in rear of vehicle which drove me nuts. Could not pinpoint the location after several attempts.

I looked into the bumper mounts, lift gate being loose, took apart all plastics from the rear compartment, rear plastic spoiler, etc. Nothing helped.

Finally, it was able to determine that it was caused by loose middle folding seat. The locking mechanism did rattle when in contact with metal bracket in adjacent seat. Great relief!

It was so hard to locate as the sound seemed to come from somewhere in very rear of the vehicle.

Sorry for bumping old thread but hope that it might help someone with 13-16 CX5.

Registered Member

Cx-5

I recently noticed a rattle in the rear of my 2014 CX-5 as well..I had sat back there, while my wife drove, and realized it was coming from the spoiler area. Got out of the car, and the whole thing was loose.

I removed all the plastic trim panels in the trunk area on the tailgate and top area to troubleshoot.

I basically found some of the nuts that hold down the spoiler were missing. I tried removing the spoiler using this method, but it was on there pretty good, so I didn't want to break anything. I did notice, however, that the tape was either completely missing, or had come loose, on step #6. I pulled up the spoiler enough to replace the tape with 3M VHB double sided tape.

The rattle was still there, although the spoiler was very tight now. I then ended up pulling up the black plastic side pieces in step #5 enough to put some more 3M VHB tape between the plastic and body frame. There was no rattle after that!

I know this thread is old, but hopefully it helps someone.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

I have mentioned earlier PEOPLE, CHECK YOUR SPOILER NUTS!!!!
    I still have to fix the side black pieces, but now my car is in the body shop.
    Recently, have noticed another cracking/metal banging sound, at the driver's side front of the car.
    It sounds like, it is in the engine compartment, but I couldn't figure out yet what is it, but is getting worse by the day.
    I suspect the upper strut mount, but I will have to come up with some kind of method, of finding out for sure.
    The only thing that I came up with, is to run a microphone, with a long cable(probably from my Onkyo receiver's setup mic) into my engine compartment and plug it into one of my laptop and listen to it, where the sound becomes louder.
    Our cars are falling apart.

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $40
    CX-3, CX-5 & CX-9 Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by tibimakai View Post
    I have mentioned earlier PEOPLE, CHECK YOUR SPOILER NUTS!!!!
    I still have to fix the side black pieces, but now my car is in the body shop.
    Recently, have noticed another cracking/metal banging sound, at the driver's side front of the car.
    It sounds like, it is in the engine compartment, but I couldn't figure out yet what is it, but is getting worse by the day.
    I suspect the upper strut mount, but I will have to come up with some kind of method, of finding out for sure.
    The only thing that I came up with, is to run a microphone, with a long cable(probably from my Onkyo receiver's setup mic) into my engine compartment and plug it into one of my laptop and listen to it, where the sound becomes louder.
    Our cars are falling apart.
    strut, CV axle, sway bar link

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123