CX-5 Trunk Area Rattle

icarlos

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT
My CX-5 is making an annoying rattle that I hear most during city driving. It is driving me nuts.

I completely snapped away the trunk cover and the noise was gone. Trunk cover seems very loose back there. I can't believe Mazda would do such a crappy job with the trunk cover. Has anyone here experienced anything like that? Any fixes?

Thanks!

Are you referring to the floor of the cargo area or the inside of the liftgate. My CX-5 is very quiet. The only thing I need to get used to is the sound of road debris hitting the inside of the wheel wells. Guess they felt it would save on weight and expense by not sound insulating the wheel wells.

The only thing I need to get used to is the sound of road debris hitting the inside of the wheel wells. Guess they felt it would save on weight and expense by not sound insulating the wheel wells.
They do use sound deadening material (felt-type) in the rear wells. Not sure why they didn't do the same at the front, but it's the same type of liner they went to on current model MX-5 after a couple of years of production (and complaints about noise).

Are you referring to the floor of the cargo area or the inside of the liftgate. My CX-5 is very quiet. The only thing I need to get used to is the sound of road debris hitting the inside of the wheel wells. Guess they felt it would save on weight and expense by not sound insulating the wheel wells.

I can't actually say for certain how much it quieted down road noise but when I rotated the tires on mine I applied:
http://store.secondskinaudio.com/spectrum-sludge/
med_2254_240x240__47992.1351713784.180.150.jpg

To both the front and rear wheel wells. On the rear I loosened the liner and folded it to the back and then to the front and applied it to the metal under it and then put the liner material back in. On the front I popped several of the plastic rivets out and then pulled the liner back and smeared the stuff on the metal under it. Then just let the liner back into place.
It probably would have been better on the front to remove the liner but that seemed like more work than I wanted to try.
It is terribly messy stuff to work with. I didn't put it on real thick because I've had problems with it cracking before when I did that. In the past I've removed interior panels and added the sound deadening material to that side but I didn't want to remove stuff inside for fear of causing a rattle.
It seemed to reduce road noise but I really can't say for sure as it might just be in my head.

Yes! It's the floor of the cargo area and the rattle goes with bumpy uneven roads mostly at low speeds. Took the car the other day to Mazda Dealership but it was raining and the sound was hard to hear. I hate to go back to the dealer because I have to miss work and I feel treaded like an OCD person, lol!

Yes! It's the floor of the cargo area and the rattle goes with bumpy uneven roads mostly at low speeds. Took the car the other day to Mazda Dealership but it was raining and the sound was hard to hear. I hate to go back to the dealer because I have to miss work and I feel treaded like an OCD person, lol!

I'll be installing the cargo tray over that area, but I don't currently hear any rattling. Possibly it's because I have some stuff in a box back there and that might be enough to keep it down.

I can't actually say for certain how much it quieted down road noise but when I rotated the tires on mine I applied:
http://store.secondskinaudio.com/spectrum-sludge/
med_2254_240x240__47992.1351713784.180.150.jpg

To both the front and rear wheel wells. On the rear I loosened the liner and folded it to the back and then to the front and applied it to the metal under it and then put the liner material back in. On the front I popped several of the plastic rivets out and then pulled the liner back and smeared the stuff on the metal under it. Then just let the liner back into place.
It probably would have been better on the front to remove the liner but that seemed like more work than I wanted to try.
It is terribly messy stuff to work with. I didn't put it on real thick because I've had problems with it cracking before when I did that. In the past I've removed interior panels and added the sound deadening material to that side but I didn't want to remove stuff inside for fear of causing a rattle.
It seemed to reduce road noise but I really can't say for sure as it might just be in my head.

Definitely looks like an ambitious project. Might be easier to just drive with ear plugs or turn up the radio! (band)

I've got the carpet cargo mat in there which might quite it down too.

It's not too bad of a job with the sound deadening, I just put a big trash bag under the area I'm working and use gloves and really cheap 3" wide paint brushes to slop the stuff on and smooth it out. On our Mazda3 I did the full length under the car and that was a bit more work. But both were far easier than when I pulled the seats and carpet out of our old car and did the dynomat and the thicker sound deadening material on top of that.

Noise from rough pavement and side winds still makes it through but on regular pavement it is pretty quiet.... unfortunately, I can't remember how loud it was before...

My CX-5 is making an annoying rattle that I hear most during city driving. It is driving me nuts.

I completely snapped away the trunk cover and the noise was gone. Trunk cover seems very loose back there. I can't believe Mazda would do such a crappy job with the trunk cover. Has anyone here experienced anything like that? Any fixes?

Thanks!

Mine has been rattling like mad too. I have the cargo tray and its not that, its coming from the door. I was assuming it was the latch but it does sound like the plastics on the hatch. I have yet to take it to the dealer for this though.

Thank god somebody else is having this problem! Its been driving me nuts for months now! I took it to my dealer & they said they couldn't hear anything! So frustrating! I've taken everything out of the back & even drove with the seats down! Have to take it back to the dealer again when its cold out!!

The sound that is similar to a loose tailgate panel or latch may be pebbles/rocks in the lower control arm mount. Mazda has a TSB out for 2013-2014 CX-5's for this...

Wow mine really doesnt sound like a few rocks, but ill check it out. Wonder if i can get in there with the wheel still on.

Yes you can access it with the wheel still on, but it will be tight. It doesn't sound like rocks, just metallic/plastic chatter.

You could also look at the tail light access covers on the door mine vibrate. I removed them and put some felt dots on the corners of the opening and it has seemed to help my noise.

All right, so finally I took car to dealership an went for a little ride around dealership with technician seating in back seat. He said that the rattle comes from the hatch. Was put in a car while they work on it. Will keep you all posted about results. =)

Back