CX-5 Trunk Area Rattle

I recently noticed a rattle in the rear of my 2014 CX-5 as well..I had sat back there, while my wife drove, and realized it was coming from the spoiler area. Got out of the car, and the whole thing was loose.

I removed all the plastic trim panels in the trunk area on the tailgate and top area to troubleshoot.

I basically found some of the nuts that hold down the spoiler were missing. I tried removing the spoiler using this method, but it was on there pretty good, so I didn't want to break anything. I did notice, however, that the tape was either completely missing, or had come loose, on step #6. I pulled up the spoiler enough to replace the tape with 3M VHB double sided tape.

The rattle was still there, although the spoiler was very tight now. I then ended up pulling up the black plastic side pieces in step #5 enough to put some more 3M VHB tape between the plastic and body frame. There was no rattle after that!

I know this thread is old, but hopefully it helps someone.

I have mentioned earlier PEOPLE, CHECK YOUR SPOILER NUTS!!!!
I still have to fix the side black pieces, but now my car is in the body shop.
Recently, have noticed another cracking/metal banging sound, at the driver's side front of the car.
It sounds like, it is in the engine compartment, but I couldn't figure out yet what is it, but is getting worse by the day.
I suspect the upper strut mount, but I will have to come up with some kind of method, of finding out for sure.
The only thing that I came up with, is to run a microphone, with a long cable(probably from my Onkyo receiver's setup mic) into my engine compartment and plug it into one of my laptop and listen to it, where the sound becomes louder. (boom01)
Our cars are falling apart. (boom08)

I have mentioned earlier PEOPLE, CHECK YOUR SPOILER NUTS!!!!
I still have to fix the side black pieces, but now my car is in the body shop.
Recently, have noticed another cracking/metal banging sound, at the driver's side front of the car.
It sounds like, it is in the engine compartment, but I couldn't figure out yet what is it, but is getting worse by the day.
I suspect the upper strut mount, but I will have to come up with some kind of method, of finding out for sure.
The only thing that I came up with, is to run a microphone, with a long cable(probably from my Onkyo receiver's setup mic) into my engine compartment and plug it into one of my laptop and listen to it, where the sound becomes louder. (boom01)
Our cars are falling apart. (boom08)

strut, CV axle, sway bar link

Back