MPH and MPG and average temperature

bosip

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-5
Fuelly has a list of C-5 getting some great mileage numbers and I realize that throughout all of the counties where our Mazda CX 5's are being driven there are many different terrains and variables.

I thought it might be interesting to look at the correlation between the average miles per hour that a car is traveling and the resulting average miles per gallon that the car is returning. I also thought that adding in the current average temperature in the area the car is being driven might help complete the picture.

My average MPH ---22
My average MPG ---23.9
My average temp last 3 months -- 36

Fuelly has a list of C-5 getting some great mileage numbers and I realize that throughout all of the counties where our Mazda CX 5's are being driven there are many different terrains and variables.

I thought it might be interesting to look at the correlation between the average miles per hour that a car is traveling and the resulting average miles per gallon that the car is returning. I also thought that adding in the current average temperature in the area the car is being driven might help complete the picture.

My average MPH ---22
My average MPG ---23.9

is the mpg as calculated at the pump or on the dash display?

My average MPH ---22
My average MPG ---23.9

My Average MPH ---34
My Average MPG ---31.4 (from fuelly since new, actual MPG slightly higher due to odometer/wheels/tires under-reporting distance traveled)
My Average temp last 3 months -- about 36F

I'm tickled to be getting well above EPA estimates for the AWD model - especially in winter conditions.

I'm not sure of the average temperature around Atlanta but below is a bit more data showing some of the correlation between average speed and average MPG (aug 2012 - mar 2013):

avg mph . avg mpg
19 .......... 27.0 (26.7, 27.1, 27.3)
20 .......... 28.6
21 .......... 28.8
22 .......... 27.3
23 .......... 30.5
24 .......... 29.2 (28.4, 29.3, 30)
26 .......... 31.1 (30.2, 30.7, 32.5)
27 .......... 31.5
40 .......... 37.6 (on no-ethanol gas)
47 .......... 31.5
51 .......... 33.3
58 .......... 36.5
65 .......... 31

at the higher speeds with more freeway miles, there is a lot of variation depending how fast you drive on the freeway for that tank.

Back