Fun Idea: Using your cruise control + and - buttons as Button Shifters

:
2008 Mazda5 GT
Fun Idea: Using your cruise control + and - buttons as Button Shifters

The idea is quite simple, in concept. Its Button Shifter vs Paddle Shifter. Trace the wires coming out of the steering wheel column clock spring for cruise + and - and cut these two wires. Intercept their signal with a DPDT relay. When NO, everything works as normal with the cruise buttons. Locate the shifters signal wire when you put the transmission to Manual. Tap this wire to trip the DPDT relay (or two 5 lead SPST relays) so when the coils are switch to NC, the + button wires signals Up and the - button signals Down signal on the shifter column. The end result should be that if you are in Drive mode, everything works as normal. When you flip over the Manual mode, tapping the steering wheel + and - buttons mirror the signals from flicking the shifter Up and down. I dont think one would use cruise control and be in manual mode. Cruise buttons would not work when in manual mode but you still have the on/off switch and brakes to deactivate cruise should you be cruising and accidently tap into manual mode unknowingly. What do you think? Did I miss something? Who wants to do it first :D I will tackle this later on when I have time for my project, which is how I came across with this idea.

Btw, anyone have a good site/place to buy hard to find relays? I'm trying to find a reasonable price DPDT and dual make SPST (to consolidate) but they seem to be hard to find.

Last edited:
I usually get stuff like that from DigiKey.com or Mouser.com

On a side note I find myself fumbling for the radio controls if the wheels are turned. I can't imagine trying to hit an upshift or downshift with the wheel at 90 or even 180 degrees.

Thanks for the reference links!

Playing devils advocate, you should not be shifting while you are turning the wheel and brake/downshift before you enter the turn. Also, some manufacturers (Nissan/Infiniti and Mitsubishi) have their paddles fixed on the steering wheel column. But yes, this is not very practical considering how small the buttons are. This was just a fun idea that cost little money (<$20), some simple wiring effort, and doesn’t affect the car’s standard behavior (when in D mode).

, you should not be shifting while you are turning the wheel and brake/downshift before you enter the turn..

I generally agree with that. But I do encounter some long decreasing and increasing radius turns on some northern Georgia roads that sometimes require it. I'm also undecided on steering wheel shifters anyway. Seems neither way is perfect but do like the fixed shifter behind the wheel better. Seems more natural.

When I knew I was going to fail my first driving test, I made the car buck and jerk in first gear during a left turn to piss the examiner off, since the examiner said I shouldn't change gears mid turn.

Back